• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage Barrel Dimensions 12 BVSS

The Animal

Private
Minuteman
I need to order a barrel for a friend of mine to rebarrel his Savage 12 BVSS. Does anyone have the specs on what I need to order? He want's it to be the same contour. Finish for 26.

For instance, shank = 1.2 for 3 inches straight taper to .875 @ 26.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Savage Barrel Dimensions 12 BVSS

What caliber is the rifle to begin with?

If it came as a WSM, its a large shank; if it came as anything else, its a small shank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Varmint Contour. Small shank. </div></div>

The question is not that it's a small shank. But what is the parameters that I need to give to the barrel maker? For instance,

A=1.2 for 3 inches B=1.0 E=.875 at the muzzle @ 26 inches, etc. Is it a straight taper or contoured? The client didn't send me his barrel yet. I figured someone here knows or might help out.

Thanks in advance.

They are normally a straight taper from the nut to the muzzle. Those numbers on the Shilen link is what you need to know. Pretty much just the muzzle diameter; that determines the profile of the barrel. If your buddy is the type that would like to have the barrel set back in the future then you could ask to have it straight for a little bit in front of the nut before it starts the taper. That would give you room for a setback.

looks at this pic: it shows how its a straight taper and is easy to set back if there is enough metal for more threads.

Savage-Barrel-Barrel-Nut-Action.jpg

Just pulled the pic from Google search, I have no idea who westernshooter is.

Mike