• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage bolt action 223rem

seabass1858

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
I hsve a savage 12fv 223 26in 9twist and was wondering what the best long range ammo/ grain bullets i can shoot out of it that will be stabilized and shoot varmints/targets at long ranges? I have a millet buckgold 6-25x56mm scope on it with mildot.

Re: savage bolt action 223rem

A 1-9 twist barrel should stabilize a bullet up to about 75 grains.

My savage precision carbine shoots 62, and 69gr bullets okay, but is very accurate with 77smk bullets, I have not found a bullet that shoots better in it yet.

The SMK's work well.

If you don't reload check with Josh at Copper Creek Ammo.

He has some 223 loads that work good. Not all of them are up on the website, so just contact him and tell him what you wanna do. Also he can do custom loads for you.

Sniperhide handle is "pinkgunsrsilly'.

He is good peeps.

I willcheck them out but yes i do reload a lot because its hell of a lot cheaper.

75gr Hornady HPBT shoots extremely well out of my 9 twist 26" 12FV with 24.0gr Varget.

I've had a few Savage 223 barrels. All shot the 69SMK's great @ 100 yds but at 300yds+ the edge went to the Hornady 75 BTHP in some & the 75 A-Maxes in the others. Never shot the 77SMK's, heard more than once that they did well in 9 twist barrels. With all that being said, the best 5 shot / 100yd group that i've ever shot was with 70gn Bergers in a factory Savage barrel ... .107"

75gr a-max's work great in my savage factory barrel.