• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Bolt action

pbcfirefighter

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Hi all I have been lurking for a long time and am going to purchase a new .22 rifle. I decided on a savage bolt gun but wanted recommendations as to which is the favorite among the members here. Plans are to shoot paper mostly prefer the longer shots and don't mind changing stocks. I will most likely add a bi pod and scope. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Re: Savage Bolt action

the long and short of it is the TR or FVSR.

they are all the same receiver and heavy barrel combo, just with little tweeks here and there. depending on your budget and what tweeks you need Vs. what tweeks you want will ultimately decide what model.

TR has the oversized bolt knob, fluted barrel and tacticool stock (wood).

FVSR has the oversized bolt knob, fluted barrel, syn stock, and is threaded for suppressor. according to the savage site, it is also pictured with a upgraded base.

both come with accutrigger.

there is also the MKII FV or BV that is more basic and you can add things as you go, depending on your budget.

generally the heavy barrels are preferred for range use.

I just bought a FVSR and am very satisfied. Shoots Wolf Match Target into a one-bullet-hole sized group at 25 yards. Weight is still not intrusive even with Vortex 4x12 scope and Harris bipod.

I have the TR and recommend it. Have added the DIP 25MOA rail and bottom metal, and of course my own custom camo paint job. My last trip to the range it managed a 50yd 0.280 inch (0.535 MOA) 5 shot group, and a 100yd 0.969 inch (0.926 MOA) 5 shot group (all 5 in the X-ring), both using Wolf ME.

Fun to shoot at 200 & 300 yards too - just more windage to contend with. It shoots the Wolf MT just fine also, but the groups are a little bigger on average. Since the MT is cheaper I use it for plinking and off-hand tactical targets. In my opinion it's one fine, fun rifle. I attribute the excellent accuracy to the camo art!