• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage bolt handle jump

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
While dry firing my Savage acton looking at a target my cross hairs jump considerably and the bolt handle moves a good bit. What is the cause of this and can it be fixed for a smooth firing pin fall?

Can't answer that, but it happens with every Savage I've shot. My question I so what?

Accuracy comes from consistency; so as long as the same thing happens the same way each time, I tend to relegate the data to a lower priority.

The important end of the trajectory is the impact end. As long as the target looks good, I'd say whatever's happening at the other end of the trajectory is good too.

It's good to observe and question. We've all done it, and we've all learned something from it, even if it's that we're looking around too much.

For my part, my response to what you've also observed is to ensure that the bolt handle is always pulled fully into the same position. I figure if there's an issue, it's best to have it always start from the same condition. Even if I can't figure out whether there's a problem to solve, I can still remove the inconsistency from the equation, and maybe that will be enough to cancel out any undesirable consequences right there.

So, does the rifle shoot poorly?

I've not seen too much discussion on the 'Hide about a smooth firing pin fall, or about whether the jumping crosshair actually defines an issue, and none of my discussion is in any way a criticism. I'm trying to figure out whether this is data I've been disregarding. I honestly don't know.

So I ask, is the rifle shooting poorly?

If not, then my thinking is that we need to be able to define an actual problem before we can solve one.

BTW, I haven't dry fired in years, except to determine if something is different about the trigger. I train to shoot, and I train by shooting.

This may all sound dry and uncooperative. It is not. After some time at this, I have noted that these things are best resolved down to their simplest common denominator, and that my own biggest distraction comes from overthinking matters.

Over the same time, I've noticed the same in folks who've been at this for a great while. We don't get there by doing anything different from what your question indicates you're doing.

But we do get there.

Greg

Last edited:
The bolt head isn't moving, just the bolt body when the sear releases the cocking pin.

It isn't something that needs to be fixed. Even if you did, it wouldn't change the way it shoots. That's part of the beauty of the floating bolt head.