• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Bolt Head Damaged on my brand new rifle...take a look

seanh said:
Seeing that buying a new bolt face will possibly require head space adjustment, which if you don't already have the tools, is an additional expense, 45 bucks is an exceptional deal....mail it out with a concern and get it back with a warm and fuzzy feeling, that's hard to beat.

Don't understand...

In your initial post I quoted, you stated that in the amount of time it took the OP to post a picture, he could have fixed it himself, and you'd be willing to do it for $45 plus shipping. It takes about 3 minutes to snap a picture and post it on the hide, so your $45 offer was for approximately 3 minutes work...lets call it 5 just for arguments sake. $45/5minutes = $540/hour.

In your most recent post though, you're talking about new boltfaces and headspacing... Not really sure what you're talking about...?

Savage customer service has been great to me in the past. I would contact them and at least give them a chance to make it right as long as its not a huge pain for you. It is a brand new rifle you should expect a better level of QC even if it doesnt effect function.

This thread got a bit longer than expected! Anyhow you might have missed my previous post. I stated above somewhere already that Savage was unwilling to send me a new bolt head, even after i explained i have headspace gauges and was will f to do the work myself. Savage said I might sue them if I did something went wrong. This pissed me off for a moment, but I understand where there coming from. Liberals are probably suing the industry into submission at this point.

Don't understand...

In your initial post I quoted, you stated that in the amount of time it took the OP to post a picture, he could have fixed it himself, and you'd be willing to do it for $45 plus shipping. It takes about 3 minutes to snap a picture and post it on the hide, so your $45 offer was for approximately 3 minutes work...lets call it 5 just for arguments sake. $45/5minutes = $540/hour.

In your most recent post though, you're talking about new boltfaces and headspacing... Not really sure what you're talking about...?

Fees aren't based on a per minute rate...education, experience, convenience. If it took 30 seconds, price would be the same...if it took 30 minutes, price would be the same.

The second part is more of a statement. I'm assuming you don't know what it takes to replace a bolt face...is that correct?

Then what are you questioning?

You posted you wanted $45 to do what equates to a 5 minute fluff/buff polishing job.

I essentially called you out on that, because it was grossly overpriced.

You responded by justfying $45 talking about changing boltfaces and adjusting headspace.

My question is, WTF are you talking about?

Guys I'm perfectly capable of replacing a bolt face. My bolt requires no special tool. I disassembled it last night. No biggie. However, there are no "go gauges" to be found instock. I'm not afraid to admit, before this thread I didn t exactly understand how the floating bolt head related to the action lugs and the back of the barrel. I visualized the bolt heads relationship to headspacing all wrong. I just did not know. I now know. Thank you Sean, and Turbo.

Oh, and dear god was the Allen key tight! I didn't think I was getting it off initially! And it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out I had to push the spring button as well....that hurt my thumb like a sob lol

Ok, I see. You don't understand how to price a job. This is no different than if you take your car in for a repair. Shops have a book that they use to determine pricing for specific jobs...they're based on man hours to complete the task. Say the book calls for 1.5 hours to complete the task and the shop does the job in 30 minutes...you still get charged the full 1.5 hours. Though some will elect not to charge the full rate, most do. What you're paying for is their experience, education, tools etc. If the customer doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere or do the job themselves.

Interesting how you keep focusing on the 45 bucks and not the price of the number of beers it takes to complete the task.

"You responded by justfying $45 talking about changing boltfaces and adjusting headspace.

My question is, WTF are you talking about?"

I'm at a loss on this question. Are you saying that all bolts are identical and do not require HS adjustment?

In regards to the price- sure, convenience goes into the price...you pay for convenience. If you can find an old style service station (gas station) that has an attendant to pump gas, you pay more for that gas...why, because of the convenience of not getting out of your car.

I figured you saw the humor in it...I'm always in for a good laugh. Sorry for the hijack but the hook was set and the fish was running.

Ok, I see. You don't understand how to price a job. This is no different than if you take your car in for a repair. Shops have a book that they use to determine pricing for specific jobs...they're based on man hours to complete the task. Say the book calls for 1.5 hours to complete the task and the shop does the job in 30 minutes...you still get charged the full 1.5 hours. Though some will elect not to charge the full rate, most do. What you're paying for is their experience, education, tools etc. If the customer doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere or do the job themselves.

Interesting how you keep focusing on the 45 bucks and not the price of the number of beers it takes to complete the task.

"You responded by justfying $45 talking about changing boltfaces and adjusting headspace.

My question is, WTF are you talking about?"

I'm at a loss on this question. Are you saying that all bolts are identical and do not require HS adjustment?

In regards to the price- sure, convenience goes into the price...you pay for convenience. If you can find an old style service station (gas station) that has an attendant to pump gas, you pay more for that gas...why, because of the convenience of not getting out of your car.

You have every right to charge however much you want for whatever you want. I (and the OP) have every right to think $45 to fluff/buff a burr off a small piece of metal is outrageous...so we do it ourselves.

You're right, it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round, and some might think $45 is a deal.

I can't think of another way to communicate any more clearly with you about the headspace adjustment...

You don't have to make a HS adjustment after polishing the bolt face.

Thus, the magic $45 skilled labor operation you have been talking about does not include a headspace adjustment. In your second post, you tried justifying $45 by talking about the epxerience, skill and tooling required to make a HS adjustment from changing the boltface, which your $45 job didn't even include!

Other thread readers: Am I making sense here, or is this just crazy talk?

Turbo, you've helped me a lot in a few reloading threads, and in this thead. I'm not worried about headspacing it now, it'll be fine. I'm just glad if this thread got derailed, it's not a Savage bashing or a "Shoulda bought a 700" thread

Turbo...you need to go back and read my postings again. It appears you're reading what you want or missed something. Which post number did I indicate that I/he would have to adjust head space other than with a new bolt head? No shit you don't have to adjust HS after a clean up in the area of damage.