• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage bolt head problems/parts

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I had a overpressure problem on my 22-250AI and now the ejector and spring are stuck down in the head. I got the ejector retaining pin out. trying to get the ejector and spring out. I would like to replace these small 3 parts but I cannot find them online. Does anyone know how to get the ejector and spring out and where can i get replacement parts.

thanks

Re: Savage bolt head problems/parts

Have you tried the usual sources? Brownells, Midway, Factory, or Sharp Shooter Supply for the parts? For info concerning fixing the problem you might try the web site Savage Shooters.com. and use the search function. I don't know if a non member can use the search function but if you can it has all the info you need.

Thanks! I was looking in the wrong (bolts and bolt assemblies) section of Brownells. Midway showed nothing and I've had my dealings with SSS (if I order from them I might get my parts next year). Damn, 2 out of 3 are on backorder.

Dang. I keep looking in the wrong sections. On Midway I was looking in the model 10 section. I've gotten the ejector and spring about flush with the bolt face by pushing it up and down for a hour with a punch and gun oil.

You can get parts direct from Savage pretty quick if you call them. They are pretty friendly and the prices aren't too bad.

Your problem is likely from the ejector being stuck in the spring. You can try a few tricks to get it out. Try putting the head in boiling water or even hot oil.

Some PB blaster while lightly tapping on the bolt might also work.

I've worked on three rifles with the same symptoms as yours and each one took a different effort to get out.

Drilling it out would be a last resort and you'd have to be very careful. Once you get it out, I would run a correctly sized drill bit to make sure the hole is round and straight.

Let us know how it goes. Give me a PM if you can't get the parts. I might have a spare bolt head.

Mike

I bought a bolt head retaing pin for a savage 110 from Numrich a few years back. They have great schematics for most firearms also.