• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Savage bolt takedown pic's ???

Bushmaster55

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
NW Indiana
I have a Savage 10FCP 308. In working up a load for it I trashed the ejector spring. (Too Hot) Ordered new parts and rebuilt the bolt,several months ago and put the rifle back in the safe. Got it out recently and found I put the bolt head on BASS ACWARDS (extractor on the inboard side) What a Dumb F*%K.
AT the time I rebult it I had actual pic's from the internet to follow. Does anyone know where I can find a schmatic/ pictures and possible order of thing to happen correctly.

Re: Savage bolt takedown pic's ???

not sure on any pics but the bolt take down is pretty straight forward you just need a 1/4" allen
and dont worry i did the same thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and dont worry i did the same thing</div></div>

+1 me too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and dont worry i did the same thing </div></div>x3

Just pull the bolt head off, rotate it 180 and put it back together.

x4- Once I also put the front baffle on backward and had to re-do it twice.

Take the BAS screw off (1/4" allen)
Slide the cocking sleeve up.
Remove cocking pin.
Slide out firing pin assembly.
Remove bolt head retaining pin.
Rotate bolt head 180 degrees.
Reassemble.

Thanks Guys .. Gotter done! So Simple makes me feel more like an ASS. Nice too know I'm not alone I'm not so new to the site ,been reading post for a couple years. Just been in the shadows I guess. This site is why I own the Savage. Ive been into competative shooting for over ten years. (AR's) Reading all the great info on this site just make a guy wanta get into longer precision shooting. Thanks again for the replies.