• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage bolt timing and true affected by bolt head swap?

summy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2014
Cambria County, PA
I'm considering putting together a switch barrel system off of a savage action but I would like to get it timed and trued at some point. I know timing and truing wouldn't do jack shit if i switched entire bolt assemblies so I thought it might still have an effect if I only swapped bolt heads. Would this work or am I way the hell out in left field smelling daisies?

Are you wanting to stay with the barrel nut to headspace? If so then I'd say go for it, buy a barrel vise a wrench and go guage and its something you can do yourself. If your wanting to go go with a remington 700 setup and headspace it that way then you'll have to take it to someone and have them headspaced for each bolt head. My experience with truing a savage action, you either true it all the way or dont do it at all. I had one awhile back that I indicated in and the face was off .007

Casey

Thanks for the reply. The barrel nut is exactly what I want to stay with, only change the factory recoil lug and barrel nut out for precision ground ones. Other than that change I would probably send it off for truing and timing at SSS or switch to a PTG bolt assembly or both.

Thanks for the reply. The barrel nut is exactly what I want to stay with, only change the factory recoil lug and barrel nut out for precision ground ones. Other than that change I would probably send it off for truing and timing at SSS or switch to a PTG bolt assembly or both.

As long as you stay with the barrel nut you'll be able to headspace them yourself for your different bolt heads. Get a lug alignment tool though and you'll be gtg.

Casey

Part of Fred's time and true is squaring up the bolt head. You can just sent a additional bolt heads to be trued along so they are all matched to your bolt body.

The timing work is done on the bolt body cocking ramp, bolt lift kit, trigger, and sear.

The truing work is squaring up the action face, abutments, bolt lugs, and barrel nut in relation to the action tennon threads.