• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage build in the Good Old 7mm Rem Mag, need

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
help on barrel twist, looking at Seirra and Bergers offering at the 180 grain level, they recommend a 1 in 8, though Berger says 1 in 9 but I swear both were 1-8 a month ago. Any opinions on 1-8 or 1-9? Will go with a Varmint Contour but was thinking about getting it fluted? Mostly for looks. Will 26" suffice or should I go up to 28" or 30"? Not concerned with weight really just want it to be a hot rod.

I found a somewhat Jewelled Savage Action in Stainless never had a barrel on it, really fancy for a tactical build but I got tired of searching for a Stevens, has a built in clip in the floor plate so I think I am going to stick with that versus dropping the coin on a DBM, I already have two precision rifles with DBMs.

Have an RWS Break and having just bought a new house, the stock is probably going to be a Choate Tactical. I was going the XLR route but after thinking about it, I can build a very nice rifle for a good bit less. I have a B&C and an AI Chassied Custom Built Remington and think a $200 Choate will service my needs nicely ont his Savage. Glass will be a 5x20SS.

My main goal for this a 1500 yard rifle, long range hunting for mostly deer, and target practice. I already load for the 7RM so I get a big savings in reloading components as well. My goal is to do all the work myself except for the Brake as I do not have a lathe.

Re: Savage build in the Good Old 7mm Rem Mag, need

Go to bugholes.com and get one of his barrels, he has several 284's to choose from. Get it chambered and throated for the 180 bergers and you will be set. If not go to northland shooter supply and get a criterion already chambered. I wouldn't go much over a rem varmint contour or it will be too heavy. 26" is perfect for the 7mm 180 bergers and retumbo.

PacNor makes nice twist on's also.. built to your specs.

For speed and distance, longer is better (30" max)
For heavy bullets, faster twist is better.

My next 7mm mag barrel will be in a 1-8 twist just to make sure i will be able to sling the 195 Berger bullets when they come out. Good luck on the build it will be a nice one.

If your gonna build it on a Savage action, call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply for a barrel. Great guy to deal with and might just have one ready to go.

I put a 4 groove, 1:9 twist Lilja barrel on my Savage 7mag build, it shoots the 162, 168, & 180's just fine. I can get 3010fps with the 180's with a pretty easy load with R22. It does everything I need it to.

You should look a at Stockaid gun stocks, Kevin is a great guy and I think his stocks are more comfortable than any Choate I have handled. Also since you are going to do the work yourself get a money saver stock and paint it yourself.