• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage clones?

Capt Beach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Virginia Beach Va
I know there are a lot of 700 pattern clones out there and some damned nice ones...

Has anyone ever cloned the Savage action, really taken the design to a higher level?

Some may ask...WHY? And I simply point out that there are a shitload of accurate Savages out there and the average Joe can put one together in his own shop with inexpensive tools and get a superbly accurate rifle for his efforts...

Capt Beach

Re: Savage clones?

Id say the bighorn action is pretty much a Savage clone - at least the bolt design... Any action can be barreled the savage way - the smith just doesn't cut a shoulder on tge barrel tenon, and jam-nuts the barrel on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> - the smith just doesn't cut a shoulder on tge barrel tenon, and jam-nuts the barrel on.</div></div>

What do you mean by this? This is what has to happen with a barrel used with a Bighorn action, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What do you mean by this? This is what has to happen with a barrel used with a Bighorn action, right? </div></div>

Nope... Bighorn is put together just like a Remington action....

One can reverse it and build a savage without a locknut barrel. One can just thread barrel and shoulder it up to receiver face.

Where the big difference is with Savage is the action bolt locations and trigger.

I don't know of any other that can use the Savage trigger or use the same action bolt template. The Bighorn action has Savage-like features but sits in a Remington stock and takes Remington style triggers. The Shilen seems to follow those lines as well.

Its a great combination of compatibility with Remington hardware with Savage-like accuracy features.

Mike

I am looking at putting the Savage threads in one of my actions. I am just test things right now and it may be offered in the future. The cone bolt is only used with single shot actions to aid with feeding so that should not be an issue. I can see some merrit in an individual being able to swap out his own barrel and being able to use off the shelf prechambered barrels.
AJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at putting the Savage threads in one of my actions. </div></div>

Hey AJ, by threads, you're talking about barrel threads, correct? That would be awesome! I have several barrels that need a good home and that would fit the bill nicely. Still a Remington foot print though on the stock side, right?

Thanks
Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at putting the Savage threads in one of my actions. I am just test things right now and it may be offered in the future. The cone bolt is only used with single shot actions to aid with feeding so that should not be an issue. I can see some merrit in an individual being able to swap out his own barrel and being able to use off the shelf prechambered barrels.
AJ </div></div>

So your saying you may set up you actions (Remington footprint/pattern)to utilize the Savage barrel nut/recoil lug configuration with the use of Go/NoGo gauges for head spacing?...If so I'd have to take a long hard look at that with a big smile on my face...LOL...

Bottom line...while I am pretty good with tools, I'm a former Marine armorer I want to be able to do complete builds using high end components without involving a gunsmith or lots of machining/downtime.

Capt Beach

Since I have numerous stocks inlet for savage actions, I'd really like the option of a custom action on that footprint. I'd feel alot better about chambering a 338 Lapua.

I did a rough SketchUp Savage action with a round bottom and square top with a 20MOA built in rail. Also has a built in recoil lug, if only I could make it happen.

4tanlv.jpg

I'd really be interested in a Bighorn action with Savage barrel threads. My dream is to have a Savage in an AICS AX but I don't think it's going to happen. Do the Bighorn bolts use Savage Bolt heads?

Hmm. THat drawing has some resemblance to old Springfield 03-a3 actions. Wonder if thats where they initially started?

Dave

I would love to get a Bighorn that uses Savage barrels! I don't see any downside to it:

1) Action held to tight tolerances
2) Remington foot print
3) Remington trigger
4) Floating bolt head which alows swapping between caliber families
5) Longer barrel shank
6) Off the shelf barrels to prevent downtime when rifle is at the smith - great for people who have a barrel shit the bed mid season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Goddard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at putting the Savage threads in one of my actions. I am just test things right now and it may be offered in the future. The cone bolt is only used with single shot actions to aid with feeding so that should not be an issue. I can see some merrit in an individual being able to swap out his own barrel and being able to use off the shelf prechambered barrels.
AJ </div></div>

AJ...looking at your site and the work you are doing I'm convinced...if you were to build your actions with a floating bolt and a Savage head spacing, barrel nut, recoil lug configuration you would sell quite a few of them...SA and LA...

I'm too busy with business right now to even think about it but if you were to really consider it I would be willing to plunk down some $$$$ and be the first guinea pig for a LA for my fall build...

AJ...keep us posted

Capt Beach

I am surprised that this sort of hybrid has not been created (commercially) yet. The Bighorn and Shilen bridge the gap a bit, but adding the savage barrel threads and quick swap bolt faces would be amazing. I think they would sell like hot cakes, escpecially with all the pre-fit barrel producers.

Essentially

Rem footprint
Rem triggers
Savage threads
Savage nut
Savage bolt face
= The end all action.

The Shilen is really close to being a true hybrid. It has the floating bolt head like the Savage and Bighorn, and uses a barrel nut like the Savage. The thread pattern on it is the same as the "large shank" savage uses. This is more serviceable than using a shoulder on the barrel, but there just aren't that many large shank barrels being chambered.

AJ, you could put me at the front of the line for a lefty repeater with small shank threads. Especially if it would take AW magazines.

Are you able to buy different sized bolt heads for a Shilen? And what exactly is different in the shank sizes with savage actions? Which models use which sized shank?

Shilen uses Remington threads, the nut is a Savage square slot on the outside deminsions, so it uses a Savage BBL nut wrench...

Remington footprint and trigger, Rem/Sav hybrid bolt, bolt heads are available for most cases

it would seem that reaming the rifles like AICS does where every barrel fits the same way ie. 308, 260, 243... would be the way to go. instead of using a barrel nut. I have head spaced many savages and that process is not an exact science for many. There is a lot to play in what is good, tight chamber or sloppy chamber.

Having a system in place that all the barrels are reamed so they will head space on any action would be the way to go, a true switch barrel rile with fewer part and more exact tolerances.