• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Savage conversion question

30cal user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA
I have a Savage model 16 F class 6.5x284 w/ 30" barrel....

What would it take to convert to .260 Rem, bolt face only?

Does McM or anybody else make a fiberglass stock for this model?

it is very easy to shoot and trigger is nice, just hard to shoot in south LA with barrel getting so hot after two rounds...

let this noob know, just kind of thinking out loud, so dont crucify me....

Re: Savage conversion question

Probably just a new bolt head, extractor & ejector parts. The tech staff at Brownells could probably advise you. 800-741-0015.
Feeding might be an issue as I think the 284 is quite a bit fatter than a 260.

I thought the 260 and 6.5-284 both shared the same .473" rim?
If so only the barrel needs changing........ and if it's a repeater any magazine components need changing.

its a single shot....buy why would the barrel need to be changed out, just re-throated, i think??

If the barrel has enough diameter forward of the existing threads you could rechamber, but....

Because the 284 is a larger diameter cartridge, you will need to go past the full length of the straight-walled section of the chamber when you ream. As you move forward on the Savage barrels I have worked on, the taper results in the tops of the threads becoming shorter and shorter. Eventually you will have nothing to thread.

You will have to see how far forward the barrel retains enough diameter to still be threaded.

no taper at all i believe, see below...i cant do this work myself i was just wondering if it was worth it to convert this set up or go ahead and sell it and have funds toward another action and barrel to make a 260 rem, this action is very hefty and i like the trigger a lot...

Savage3.jpg

Great looking Savage there!

If it has no taper, I would do as you plan to....just have it re-chambered. Another option is to have another barrel made and keep the possibility of going back to the 6.5-284.

thanks Rafael, ill need to phone the smith now and see what he can do

and to answer your stock question... yes McM will make one for it, as well as most others... Manners I believe does, you might want to check out Stockade Gunstocks, Kevin is one of the best Savage 'smiths in the world and Makes a varity of stocks for your rifle.

Go to Savageshooters.com and get another barrel you can pick up a Shilen Select Match or McGowen for around $300. You will most likely be money ahead to do so. That way you could keep your other or sell it and get part of your money back. I have gotten two from there in 260 Rem and both shoot like a dream.

Just a thought....
If you are changing chambering and stock, are you sure everything else meets your goals?

That is a nice rig as-is. If it is not close to what you really want you might be better off selling it and getting something closer to your desires.

just want something a little more versatile, but i think the barrel and action are a bargain compared to aftermarket products and prices.....it is for sale or trade though...if i could modify to a fibergalss stock and rechamber to 260, i think i have a $2800 gun for around $2000...

30caluser,
You are not going to be able to set the barrel back because after the threads there is a step so the barrel nut can slide over the barrel. Bell and Carlson make a stock that has an aluminum bedding block w/ an internal box mag well.
Tuck

You are correct if this is a large shank, but it doesn't look like one in the picture. Even if it is a small shank there may not be enough diameter though. He will have to measure it if it is a small shank.

I think that it is a small shank action. At least that is what it looks like from the picture. (It is very hard to tell by the picture.) But I don't see a step. If it is a small shank it is going to be very close. I think that he should just buy a shilen stainless select match. It is going to cost about the same amount of money. A friend of mine has a .223 that shoots sub .25 MOA w/ a 5 shot group @ 100 yards. Northland Shooters Supply on savage shooters might have one in stock.
Tuck

IIRC, the F-Class uses the Precision Target action (looks like the rounded, more enclosed ejection port & target accutrigger on the rifle in the pic above), which would use a large shank barrel. I do agree with Triggerhappy & tuckb on the Shilen Select Match barrel, my old 260AI (built off a Precision Target action as well) used one of these and shot extremely well.

Everything works when people talk.

Barrel makers and stock makers are the people you should be talking with, their answers are, by definition, more accurate than ours.

A .260 and a 6.5-284 share both bolt face diameter and bore diameter. The Savage F Class barrel is untapered, and can be set back indefinitely, as long as one is willing to have the action threads recut so they continue to have enough length along the barrel

I honestly don't now if their F Class action fits the same inlet as the standard 10/110 action, but no matter. If you want a McM stock for it, talk to them. They may ask you to send the barreled action to them. Theoretically, it makes no matter whether it's before or after rechambering, since there's no barrel taper to alter the barrel channel inletting spec.

But me, I'd do it after, just to make certain things work together smoothly in their final form. Me, I'd also take the opportunity to have it pillar bedded by McM while they have the barreled action.

For simplicity sake, if you send them the action, it does not need to have the rings and scope mounted, and maybe also the scope base.

Personally, I say it needn't be fixed if it ain't broke. My only lament about the Savage F Class rifle is that they don't make it in a factory .260 chambering. But one wonders whether their custom shop could be persuaded to do a rebarreling in a .260 chambering. I think it would be a smart capability for them to cultivate, and aside from that, the rifle's perfect. In fact, one wonders why they didn't make it available from the get-go, since the rifle is just a smidge this side of being a full-blown custom rifle anyway...

Greg

Looking more at that pic and the nut in particular, I am inclined with you gent's who say it is large shank, but as Greg said... this barrel has no step and none is visible.

thanks guys, you have provided all the info i was looking for!

if i dont sell or trade it, i will look into a 260 conversion and keep you posted, it would be really cool to be able to switch stocks for bench or carry shooting...

here is another picture of the action
Savage2.jpg

Depending on rounds down the tube, you will probably be money ahead to either a) sell the current barrel and replace with one from sharp shooter supply or b) just buy a 260 barrel from sharp shooter supply and have the 6.5X284 on hand. While you could rechamber and have the threads recut, it just seems like unnecessary expense and hassle both being without your gun as well as waiting on the smith for a Savage when throwing a new barrel on and selling the old one immediately is half their charm.

As far as the stock- did they change the action screw spacing on the Target actions recently or just the accu-stock models? if not, look into just getting an HS Precision take off from an LRPV or possibly trading your current stock for one and adding a karsten cheekpiece or a strap on cheek rest.

You're approaching this thing like a Remington which confuses me.

Reguardless of the fact that it is a small or large shank action the barrel can not be set back because of the barrel nut slides over the barrel from the muzzle and the outside diameter of the barrel right after the threads has to be smaller than the minor diameter of the threads. There for it can not be set back like a Remington can because of the barrel nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're approaching this thing like a Remington which confuses me.
</div></div>

im new, still learning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reguardless of the fact that it is a small or large shank action the barrel can not be set back because of the barrel nut slides over the barrel from the muzzle and the outside diameter of the barrel right after the threads has to be smaller than the minor diameter of the threads. There for it can not be set back like a Remington can because of the barrel nut. </div></div>

so, i just need to re-barrel if i want 260, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As far as the stock- did they change the action screw spacing on the Target actions recently or just the accu-stock models? if not, look into just getting an HS Precision take off from an LRPV or possibly trading your current stock for one and adding a karsten cheekpiece or a strap on cheek rest.
</div></div>

i will take pictures tonight and show you.

30caluser,
Yes you will have to re-barrel. Savages are very easy to rebarrel. All you need is the barrel nut wrench ($23), Action wrench ($48), Barrel vise ($54), and headspace GO gage ($22). All these products are in stock at Midway USA. Can you measure the distance between the action screws if it is 4.275" center to center on the screw heads it is a Gen 2 savage action and will work on most S/A stocks (i.e. model 10/12 not 110 stocks). Here is a link to tell you what generation action you have:

http://www.billetarms.com/gdept.aspx?dept_id=16

Tuck

thanks again, i can tell you it is a model 12 and triple pillar bedded, and a single shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reguardless of the fact that it is a small or large shank action the barrel can not be set back because of the barrel nut slides over the barrel from the muzzle and the outside diameter of the barrel right after the threads has to be smaller than the minor diameter of the threads. There for it can not be set back like a Remington can because of the barrel nut. </div></div>

If this rifle is built this way it would be the first I have seen like that.
I own a model 10 and a model 12, and have worked on others, and none of them had barrels small enough to slide the barrel nut on from the muzzle when trying to install it. You could slide it one a little ways depending on the taper, but it would stop well short of the threaded area.

Every one of them had at least some small portion of the barrel forward of the threads that was not threaded but was still too large for the nut to pass over. I have never seen one that would allow installing the nut anywhere but from the rear. This may be the case on sporter barrels, but not here.

Whether or not there is enough diameter to the shank to allow for full-profile threads is another matter that was addressed earlier.

These questions can be easily answered by measuring the barrel shank just forward of the nut.
The O.D. of small-shank threads is 1.055" or so and the large is 1.210" or so.
My guess is you will get a measurement just over one of those two.

Rafael,
I just looked at my model 12 BVSS in 300 WSM. You are correct. I was thinking that the barrel nut did not have a relief cut in the front of it so the barrel nut had to go on from the muzzle.
Tuck

Yep that's a Precision Target Action if it's got 3 pillars/action screws & 1 rear triggerguard screw. She's a large shank barrel. Shilen stainless select match, 1 in 8 twist, large shank, 260 barrel in the straight 1" Bull contour up to 28" finished length IIRC, will run you $392 from them direct with around a 12-14 week wait time.

McMillan has the inlet for these actions if you're looking for a fiberglass stock (I had an A5 on mine), or like Cavscout said, find a takeoff LRPV stock for it.

okay, here is the picture and it appears to have a pillar in the middle of the action where a magazine would go, another question is can i ever change this action to a repeater?

it is a model 12
pillars.jpg

guys i really apreciate the info, i know it isnt all for me, but i still appreciate it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggarrett1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep that's a Precision Target Action if it's got 3 pillars/action screws & 1 rear triggerguard screw. She's a large shank barrel. Shilen stainless select match, 1 in 8 twist, large shank, 260 barrel in the straight 1" Bull contour up to 28" finished length IIRC, will run you $392 from them direct with around a 12-14 week wait time.</div></div>

all i need is this barrel to make this a 260?

but, i dont think i want a single shot 260 if i cant modify to a repeater....

Yes, the barrel, appropriate barrel nut and action wrenches & barrel vise, and a headspace "GO" gauge like tuckb said.

If you're dead set you want a 260 repeater, I'd say buy a used 10FP or similar and rebarrel/build that up like you want for a tactical/hunting type rifle. Sell the F-class or keep it for your bench gun.

thanks, i guess that spoils my idea, i just really liked the strong action and light trigger...thanks again.

the gun is in the FS section....

Ya know, if memory serves correct, they make a repeater LRPV now... You'd retain the target action and 6oz trigger and could sell the barrel as a new factory takeoff to offset the cost of a barrel swap. Or as stated above- get a donor 110 or 10 action ( I'd go with 110 for greater future caliber versatility personally) and throw a sharp shooter supply trigger on it. You have no need for a beefy action for a 260 anyway.

You'd then retain the stock and again- just need a different barrel providing the donor action had the appropriate bolt face. If not, that too is an easy user level fix via sharp shooter supply, whom you should give a call to for confirmation on their recommendations. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Whoa dude, if you like the rifle, by all means keep it! It's no doubt a hell of a shooter and an excellent bench gun. I just threw that out there thinking of what could be a better option for you instead of cutting that rifle & trying to make it a mag fed gun. Don't want you to jump and do something you might regret later! Stop and think about what you ultimately want in YOUR rifle, make a list of options, and go from there. My 260AI was a single shot and it never bothered me, just made me concentrate on that one shot I had more!

If you find that you just cannot live without a repeater, Savage does however have this in a repeater with the same action, barrel, and trigger setup just not in 260...

http://www.savagearms.com/12model_longrange_precisisionvarminter.htm

This seems a little more like what you were talking about doing earlier. Still have to change the barrel out if you want it in 260 though...

Cavscout, good call... posted up exactly what I was thinking while I was typing it! Great minds....LOL!

i hear you, it could the ultimate tree stand gun too for white tails and smaller....

Sure, you could have someone cut the action to make it a repeater, but I wouldn't.

That action is desireable enough you could sell it and buy a repeater and be out less money.

If it's that far from what you want, sell it.

30caluser,
What is the center to center on the outer most action screws? The reason I ask this is that you might have a problem finding a stock after you machine out the middle section of the action to make it a repeater. Also, If the center to center is 4.275" You could think about doing a CDI bottom metal W/ an AICS DBM. The 260 is based off a 308 case so you shouldn't have to modify the mags to get it to feed. Just a thought.
Tuck

sounds like if you are set on doing a Savage repeater using the target action, the LRPV repeater in 6 Norma BR or 22-250, provided whichever you think will be easier to sell is gonna be your ticket. If I'm *not* wrong, the 6 Norma BR uses the same boltface as a .308/.260, etc? All it would require is a barrel in .260. Could easily sell that take off barrel unused for a good amount to offset the cos

Also, you wouldnt even need to go with a DBM setup as the repeater has a DBM already and can be converted to "high capacity" via the SSS kit, which gives no indication it wont work for the LRPV mag. Call them to confirm that.

www.sharpshootersupply.com

By the time you get someone to machine the single shot, get a stock that fits the new spacing sans-middle screw, and all that- you're losing more money than just selling your current one, getting a repeater LRPV and converting it to .260 with a barrel swap.

tag this topic as I have the same rifle and have been considering the same conversion but leaving it as 6.5x284

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Savageshooters.com and get another barrel you can pick up a Shilen Select Match or McGowen for around $300. You will most likely be money ahead to do so. That way you could keep your other or sell it and get part of your money back. I have gotten two from there in 260 Rem and both shoot like a dream. </div></div>

I second this advice.