• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Elite Precision 338LM - Model 57652

MeasuredResponse

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2019
Good day-

This is my first post. Sniper’s Hide has been a great source of information to me for many years (as a guest). My experience with forums is limited but I have to start somewhere so I will jump in and try to post information on a recent purchase - the Savage Elite Precision in 338LM.

I picked up a Savage Stealth Evolution 338LM last year and it was a complete disaster. A friend just recommended this new design after hearing my story so I gave it a shot. It turned out to be what I was really hoping the Stealth would be. I was pleasantly surprised and am thinking about a short action but would like hear about other experiences with the .308 and 6.5CM.

Unfortunately, with our pandemic, I am unable to fire the rifle yet other than for break in. That said, here is what I found.

5AF08E87-D82C-4306-96D9-8B67F21CC991.jpeg

Weight:

Barreled action with trigger and thread protector - 9lbs (8.989)
Chassis - 5.5lbs (5.527)
Magazine - 0.5lbs (0.511) - Empty
Rifle 15lbs. Savage states 14.95lbs.

Starting from the muzzle and moving back ...

Muzzle and thread protector:

4712D643-D3BD-4D26-8F21-E52FCFC58423.jpeg

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a muzzle device. After re-reading the description, it was clear that they were only included on short action rifles. It did come with a thread protector that I find more useful. Savage muzzle brakes are not bad, I would just never use one unless it came on the rifle. The threads are not Class 3 and the thread protector stopped short of fully seating. Some crud was left on the threads making it gritty to remove/replace but a quick clean up made a nice fit but it still did not seat flush with the barrel. These are things that I really would not expect of a rifle in this price range. If you want everything perfect, go with a $4k to $5k package. I do not know the crown angle nor do I have the tools to measure it.

The muzzle brake on my Stealth was on so tight that I ended up turning the barrel out of the receiver removing it. That was my fault although I do not believe they needed to torq it to wherever they did. I was even worried that it may have distorted the muzzle/crown.

Chassis:

The chassis is an ACC by MDT with the Savage Logo. I found the chassis well made. The fit and finish are nice. Weighing in at 5.5lbs without barreled action and magazine you could call it heavy depending on your application. As a target rifle shooting 338LM, I believe it is where it should be as it does have the ability to add weight. The incorporated ARCA Rail is a nice addition keeping it with the times. While writing this I found this chassis on MDT’s website for $1100 + $200 for the paint job. You may be better off going there for info.

Barrel:

30” Stainless steel, 1:9 twist with a bead blasted look but without the feel (they call it Natural). The stamp marks are not legible to the naked eye but for the price, I don’t care. Had to take a picture and blow it up to read. No measurements were taken but the contour appears to be M24. The precision and detail is not that of an $800 barrel.

The Stealth has a 26” carbon steel straight fluted barrel with 1:9.3 twist. Not sure why they made that twist change. I did check it with the cleaning rod method.

This is the first time I have removed a barrel before shooting the rifle. For me, removing a Savage barrel has always been a chore and a half requiring a ridiculous amount of torque. This one came off like it were my Impact or Defiance. No need to stand on the thing. Once off, the threads were very clean. Almost like they prefit everything, disassembled, cleaned it and reassembled ... an expensive process for a production line rifle if that is what they did.

Action:

37E43B3F-42D5-4ADB-ABE3-77E31F2EF251.jpeg

The finish and stamping were pretty good on the the receiver. The finish, unfortunately, did not match the rear baffle, bolt handle and assembly screw. My pin gauges are packed for a move so I can’t give the exact clearance for the bolt body/raceway relationship but the unnecessary slop you usually hear about on a Savage is definitely gone. I would say it is just about perfect. The raceway is very smooth with the black flash nitride finish but the titanium nitride finish on the bolt body seems gritty so it lacks the nice smooth operation of a high end rifle. I may measure it with pin gauges and have one made down the road to see if that can be improved. As with most most Savage bolt guns, the bolt lift leaves much to be desired. I really hoped that they were going to address that on this line.

124408D6-3F8D-4B8D-AFA3-75F4B34E4D83.jpeg

When operating the bolt, there is a twang/ringing through the chassis that I don’t like but that is only when I am working on it. Any support like a bag, bipod or even a hand when set up to fire completely dampens it.

The recoil lug was done well. It is properly pinned. The MPA BA Competition has a wedge to secure the lug against the chassis. That would have been a really nice addition here. My Stealth had a slot in the receiver for a pin but no pin in the lug and was set a little under 10 degrees off center. Very poor workmanship. The lug on this rifle was nicely pinned with SS and well centered.

BFE248D9-C84A-4B72-B0CD-118E6076902A.jpeg

I have not kept up on the names of different Picatinny rail designs but this one is hollow down the center of the top which helps the scope slide slightly further rearward.

9117B9D1-E676-4011-9228-8B5107FA0F9D.jpeg

The rail has a number printed underneath the front overhang but I am unable to read it without removing the rail which I do not want to do. On the Stealth, I had continuous problems with the rail coming loose. After several calls to Savage, they sent me a new rail and screws but in the end, I picked up a Badger rail and custom fit some screws to fix the problem myself.

The front action screw is too short, it only threads in about 1-1/2 turns. I had this same problem with my Stealth. I will probably end up getting a longer screw and shortening it myself.

Grip:

Similar to my MPA but adjustable. There is a thumb rest. I don’t think it was designed to do but if you loosen all the side screws, the grip has the ability to sit less erect both forward and rearward. Choosing to do this eliminates the ability to adjust the whole grip forward and rearward. I wish I could add more pictures here.

Trigger:

The trigger is the standard Savage trigger so there is not much to say. I’m sure those have been written about ad nausium. I did find when lowering the pull weight that, at a certain point, it no longer worked properly. The firing pin would break loose but jam and lock everything up. I have it reliably set at 1lb 13oz. My Timney trigger will eventually get installed and I hope that will fix the problem.

Unless I missed something, you cannot adjust the trigger on this model without removing the chassis.

Stock:

The stock (part of the chassis) does everything I need it to.

30CC8ED3-47AD-4796-A1BE-AD27DAA2834E.jpeg

I did like the ability to adjust the cheek piece from side to side. None of my other rigs allow that. Part of the cheek piece will have to be dremeled to remove the bolt without lowering it.

6D6C8A7F-FB61-4C54-BE66-F4ABB0AAD23D.jpeg

The thumb screws gave me some problems. On MDT’s website they appear to be machined aluminum ... these are not. The butt pad adjustment screw (up and down) keeps getting knocked loose. You can carefully pry the plastics knobs off leaving the brass colored screws but you loose the ability to adjust it without an wrench. 5 thumb screws and 10 holes come on the rifle. 5 on each side as a mirror image. I might get some extras to fill those in as well as help secure the components.

D11E88EA-C77A-4F01-A1D5-9904B5DB752E.jpeg

The butt pad adjust (LOP) and cheek weld adjustment (up and down) have hash marks so you can keep notes on what works for you in different scenarios. You can purchase a kit with 4 spacers (1/4”ea) to extend pull length up to 1”. You can also purchase a folding stock adapter and a night vision cage.

Final comments:

I just found out the number of pictures I can attach is limited to 10 although it stopped me at 9.

I will update when I have data but I expect 1/2 to 1 MOA. I will most likely get a custom barrel on order while I burn this one out. That will help me determine just how good the rifle is.

Did I get lucky? No clue. Will you? Same answer. All in all, I am very happy with it. After the disaster of my Stealth purchase, getting a nice Savage 338LM was considerably more expensive than it will cost most of you.

I hope this write up helps someone. Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer.

Safe shooting, John

Attachments

• E7A0FE67-51F1-4FAD-9416-4F9C02CC99F5.jpeg
    E7A0FE67-51F1-4FAD-9416-4F9C02CC99F5.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I just saw why I thought it was only allowing 9 pictures. The straggler on the end was not intended.

Thanks for the detailed review. I've been mulling this rifle since it was announced, due to the accuracy of my Stealth Evo and the value at street prices. Still undecided, but leaning towards spending more money on something else.

Nice read man, I just got one in 338 as well. I have put about 75 rounds through it. My first group out of the gun was .57 moa (Scroll right in the post photos below) That was without any load dev just by picking a random load, so I imagine these will be half moa guns at least!.
ONE thing I would recommend is to take you rail off and clean the screw holes, and then lock tight those screws in, mine did not have lock tight and the rail went loose after 50 rds. Based off your post I almost thought you were youtuber Boltactionreloading ha
Here is my SMALL quick review on insta

Nice read man, I just got one in 338 as well. I have put about 75 rounds through it. My first group out of the gun was .57 moa (Scroll right in the post photos below) That was without any load dev just by picking a random load, so I imagine these will be half moa guns at least!.
ONE thing I would recommend is to take you rail off and clean the screw holes, and then lock tight those screws in, mine did not have lock tight and the rail went loose after 50 rds. Based off your post I almost thought you were youtuber Boltactionreloading ha
Here is my SMALL quick review on insta

What velocity were you getting from that 30" barrel? I have been eyeballing these and the RPR 338 LM for a bit.

What velocity were you getting from that 30" barrel? I have been eyeballing these and the RPR 338 LM for a bit.
Got this over the rpr all day man.
So Ive been waiting on load dev until the barrel finishes speeding up. But with the 300gr Atip, its getting 2900 with h1000 without any pressure signs at all, On an initial pressure test before break-in I got 2960 without any signs of preasure.
the barrel has sped up by 100 fps since then, so I am going to do some load dev this weekend, I would imagine 3000 fps will be my ceiling.

That's really fast for 300 grains! How much H1000? Wonder what retumbo or RL33 would yield... Still in the mkt for a 338 or big 300.

That's really fast for 300 grains! How much H1000? Wonder what retumbo or RL33 would yield... Still in the mkt for a 338 or big 300.
So 92 gr is getting me 2900fps, again with zero pressure. But that is virgin brass we will see how this week turns out.
H1000 should be faster than retumbo, rl33 would be faster but would not recommend it because of how temperature-sensitive it is.

Reactions: Chickentoast
Thanks - pls keep us updated with your results - I've got a few rifles I'm watching in the PX, but it's tough to justify 3-4K when 1.7K for this gives the same performance. Corvette vs Porsche vs Ferrari - can't figure out whether feel is truly important to me - my fun car is a '62 F100 with a 550hp 383 stroker and a T56 manual - the Savage of vehicles haha.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Got this over the rpr all day man.
So Ive been waiting on load dev until the barrel finishes speeding up. But with the 300gr Atip, its getting 2900 with h1000 without any pressure signs at all, On an initial pressure test before break-in I got 2960 without any signs of preasure.
the barrel has sped up by 100 fps since then, so I am going to do some load dev this weekend, I would imagine 3000 fps will be my ceiling.

Good info. Have you had any issues with extraction or ejection? How smooth is the bolt with the Nitride and TiN bolt combination? What magazines are you using, or which magazines does the chassis accept?

Great write up! Building my 338 right now and did follow Bolt Action Reloaders lead with swapping the screws and used Loctite 243 as it has better oil tolerance and can work with larger clearance gaps. The only issue I’ve run into so far is finding a case that will hold the beast. Settled on an Explorer Cases 15416 X-long with a 60 5/8” Internal length.

P.S. Thank you for posting your picture of the front pic rail screw. I noticed mine was standing proud compared to the other 3 and I was concerned but I see from your picture that it is the same. Quite a relief!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay but I’m not super Internet forum savvy and not on this site a lot. I’ll try to answer all of your questions and posts. I did end up getting the 6.5 and it is of the same quality.
  1. Chick - I did a lot of research and will eventually go with a high end 338. There are conflicting statements about how Savage builds the receivers. Definitely do your homework. If you miss a write up on the Weatherby Mark V, check it out as well. I have not heard anyone say that they have burnt out multiple barrels (on the Savage). My concern is whether or not the receiver and bolt will hold up to multiple barrel changes.
  2. Bolt - nice to hear your groups. It has taken me almost 60 rounds to break in the barrel. I have to shoot point blank where I live due to Covid but I hope to stretch it so I can post groups in a week or 2. Thanks for the heads up on the rail. Sounds like the same problem I had on my Stealth Evolution.
  3. Stand-up - I will be checking velocities soon with a V3. I’ll post when I do.
  4. Bolt - I broke it in with FGMM 250’s. I’ll be trying Lapua 250 Lock Base and Lapua 250 OPM Scenar for accuracy to start with. Hopefully within a week or 2. I’ll post results.
  5. Smutty - yes, it has given me problems with extraction but not ejection. It seems to be getting better but I am concerned that it may not end up as well as I hope. I will post on how it goes after more use. It is kind of a bummer that you buy a rifle where there barrel can get only 800-1200 rounds and it takes almost 100 to get situated. Nitride TiN is not great which I mentioned earlier. I’m thinking about a PTG bolt body. I have never ordered from them but have heard bad things about customer service but good things about quality. ACIS magazines for the chassis.
Best, John

Last edited:
I use Bore Tech products and have found the proof positive jag waaay to tight for the 338 (even side spiking) so I’ve been using my .30 jag with bigger patches. Anyone else had this problem?

Great write up! Building my 338 right now and did follow Bolt Action Reloaders lead with swapping the screws and used Loctite 243 as it has better oil tolerance and can work with larger clearance gaps. The only issue I’ve run into so far is finding a case that will hold the beast. Settled on an Explorer Cases 15416 X-long with a 60 5/8” Internal length.

P.S. Thank you for posting your picture of the front pic rail screw. I noticed mine was standing proud compared to the other 3 and I was concerned but I see from your picture that it is the same. Quite a relief!

Nikon - just noticed I missed your post. I switched from 242 to 243 about a year ago. As you stated, the oil resistance was my reasoning. It has worked well for me. I had not heard about the clearance gaps but that is great information. As far as the case, do you like it? I use a 1750 but have the foam cut to where I remove the chassis. It is ridiculous how much I have spent on FixIt Stick bag. I probably have $350 into the darn thing. It is the only rifle I assemble to the chassis before use. A friend of mine checked all of my torque limiters at his shop and I labeled them with blue painters tape. Mine were all 5-10% below stated torque limits. Better less than more I guess but it’s nice to know what I’m getting.

I use Bore Tech products and have found the proof positive jag waaay to tight for the 338 (even side spiking) so I’ve been using my .30 jag with bigger patches. Anyone else had this problem?
Weird, I have the same jag and it seems almost loose, it goes through really well. Way easier they when I use my 6.5 jags from the same brand

I just received a 110 Elite Pression in 6MM CM. I have about 200 rounds loaded as follows:
58 Grain VMax
87 Grain Vmax
95 Grain SMK
105 Berger VLD
107 Grain SMK
All with charges of IMR-4895. Hornady brass. 210M Primers.
I will be mounting the scope today. Vortex Razor. (thanks for the advice on Loctite on the rail!).
Will be shooting on Wednesday. With Magneto Speed Crono.
Will let you know how it all works out.
At first impression the fit and finish is pretty good.

Weird, I have the same jag and it seems almost loose, it goes through really well. Way easier they when I use my 6.5 jags from the same brand

All my other Bore Tech jags (22LR, 22CF, 6, 6.5 and .30) are fine ... it’s just the .338 that I can’t use. I tried 2” patches, what size are you using?

Last edited:
I just received a 110 Elite Pression in 6MM CM. I have about 200 rounds loaded as follows:
58 Grain VMax
87 Grain Vmax
95 Grain SMK
105 Berger VLD
107 Grain SMK
All with charges of IMR-4895. Hornady brass. 210M Primers.
I will be mounting the scope today. Vortex Razor. (thanks for the advice on Loctite on the rail!).
Will be shooting on Wednesday. With Magneto Speed Crono.
Will let you know how it all works out.
At first impression the fit and finish is pretty good.

I did not know they had a 6. I wish I had known. I would have chosen that over the 6.5. Thanks for posting. How many rounds do you feel it took for the barrel to stop showing tons of copper?

Just noticed you said loaded, I assume not fired. Keep an eye on how clean it is after the first few shots and please post. The 338 took about 5 times longer than my Bartlein and Kriegers.

Last edited:
Nikon - just noticed I missed your post. I switched from 242 to 243 about a year ago. As you stated, the oil resistance was my reasoning. It has worked well for me. I had not heard about the clearance gaps but that is great information. As far as the case, do you like it? I use a 1750 but have the foam cut to where I remove the chassis. It is ridiculous how much I have spent on FixIt Stick bag. I probably have $350 into the darn thing. It is the only rifle I assemble to the chassis before use. A friend of mine checked all of my torque limiters at his shop and I labeled them with blue painters tape. Mine were all 5-10% below stated torque limits. Better less than more I guess but it’s nice to know what I’m getting.

Morning! I really do like the Explorer case! It is hell for stout but a bit of a challenge to haul in my Toyota Yaris. 🤣
982CD33D-13A9-4516-8C37-3B04F326F2F7.jpeg

P.S. I haven’t had a lick of trouble with my BoreTech stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeasuredResponse
Morning! I really do like the Explorer case! It is hell for stout but a bit of a challenge to haul in my Toyota Yaris. 🤣
View attachment 7323880

P.S. I haven’t had a lick of trouble with my BoreTech stuff.

That is a really nice job you did with the foam!

How would compare it to the Pelican in terms of durability? Any chance you could post a picture of the wheels? Thanks much.

P.S. I found this stuff and am thinking about trying it ... https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam. Off topic but nice for our hobby.

That is a really nice job you did with the foam!

How would compare it to the Pelican in terms of durability? Any chance you could post a picture of the wheels? Thanks much.

P.S. I found this stuff and am thinking about trying it ... https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam. Off topic but nice for our hobby.
Thank you! It was pick n' pluck so I did the plucking and plastidiped the crap out everything and then used Devcon Wood Weld to glue the top and botton layers together. As for comparison to the Pelican cases... I couldn't find a Pelican that was long enough! The Explorer is specifically made for .50 BMG rifles and has 60.625" on the inside. Durability wise I think it can easily hold it's own against the Pelicans. I'll get some pics of the wheels when I get home but here's the specs...

Last edited:
I did not know they had a 6. I wish I had known. I would have chosen that over the 6.5. Thanks for posting. How many rounds do you feel it took for the barrel to stop showing tons of copper?

Just noticed you said loaded, I assume not fired. Keep an eye on how clean it is after the first few shots and please post. The 338 took about 5 times longer than my Bartlein and Kriegers.

The only other 6mm I have any experience with is a 243 win. I asked my gunsmith the same question and he told me 'it depends'. So I figure to check it every three shots...starting out with the 87 gr Vmax and mild loads.

The only other 6mm I have any experience with is a 243 win. I asked my gunsmith the same question and he told me 'it depends'. So I figure to check it every three shots...starting out with the 87 gr Vmax and mild loads.

Every barrel is different so you are smart to try multiple loads/bullets. I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable that the barrel was settled in before you made a decision on what it liked. I was shocked at the difference in the round count difference to break in a factory vs premium barrel. Everyone has a different opinion on barrel break in. I just do it until I don’t have to put too many patches in to clear the copper. Some people like to leave quite a bit of copper build up and have good results. As for the bullets, I have an Impact Precision receiver with a 6 CM Bartlein barrel and it likes the Berger 105’s.

I guess that there is no science to it.....I am hoping that the SMK's shoot well (i.e. less $$). The plan is to use this in June in SD. My 6MM AR loves the 95 SMK and the 87 Gr Vmax.

I guess that there is no science to it.....I am hoping that the SMK's shoot well (i.e. less $$). The plan is to use this in June in SD. My 6MM AR loves the 95 SMK and the 87 Gr Vmax.

I agree. Find out what it likes and repeat.

Good day-

This is my first post. Sniper’s Hide has been a great source of information to me for many years (as a guest). My experience with forums is limited but I have to start somewhere so I will jump in and try to post information on a recent purchase - the Savage Elite Precision in 338LM.

I picked up a Savage Stealth Evolution 338LM last year and it was a complete disaster. A friend just recommended this new design after hearing my story so I gave it a shot. It turned out to be what I was really hoping the Stealth would be. I was pleasantly surprised and am thinking about a short action but would like hear about other experiences with the .308 and 6.5CM.

Unfortunately, with our pandemic, I am unable to fire the rifle yet other than for break in. That said, here is what I found.

View attachment 7289966

Weight:

Barreled action with trigger and thread protector - 9lbs (8.989)
Chassis - 5.5lbs (5.527)
Magazine - 0.5lbs (0.511) - Empty
Rifle 15lbs. Savage states 14.95lbs.

Starting from the muzzle and moving back ...

Muzzle and thread protector:

View attachment 7289974

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a muzzle device. After re-reading the description, it was clear that they were only included on short action rifles. It did come with a thread protector that I find more useful. Savage muzzle brakes are not bad, I would just never use one unless it came on the rifle. The threads are not Class 3 and the thread protector stopped short of fully seating. Some crud was left on the threads making it gritty to remove/replace but a quick clean up made a nice fit but it still did not seat flush with the barrel. These are things that I really would not expect of a rifle in this price range. If you want everything perfect, go with a $4k to $5k package. I do not know the crown angle nor do I have the tools to measure it.

The muzzle brake on my Stealth was on so tight that I ended up turning the barrel out of the receiver removing it. That was my fault although I do not believe they needed to torq it to wherever they did. I was even worried that it may have distorted the muzzle/crown.

Chassis:

The chassis is an ACC by MDT with the Savage Logo. I found the chassis well made. The fit and finish are nice. Weighing in at 5.5lbs without barreled action and magazine you could call it heavy depending on your application. As a target rifle shooting 338LM, I believe it is where it should be as it does have the ability to add weight. The incorporated ARCA Rail is a nice addition keeping it with the times. While writing this I found this chassis on MDT’s website for $1100 + $200 for the paint job. You may be better off going there for info.

Barrel:

30” Stainless steel, 1:9 twist with a bead blasted look but without the feel (they call it Natural). The stamp marks are not legible to the naked eye but for the price, I don’t care. Had to take a picture and blow it up to read. No measurements were taken but the contour appears to be M24. The precision and detail is not that of an $800 barrel.

The Stealth has a 26” carbon steel straight fluted barrel with 1:9.3 twist. Not sure why they made that twist change. I did check it with the cleaning rod method.

This is the first time I have removed a barrel before shooting the rifle. For me, removing a Savage barrel has always been a chore and a half requiring a ridiculous amount of torque. This one came off like it were my Impact or Defiance. No need to stand on the thing. Once off, the threads were very clean. Almost like they prefit everything, disassembled, cleaned it and reassembled ... an expensive process for a production line rifle if that is what they did.

Action:

View attachment 7289978

The finish and stamping were pretty good on the the receiver. The finish, unfortunately, did not match the rear baffle, bolt handle and assembly screw. My pin gauges are packed for a move so I can’t give the exact clearance for the bolt body/raceway relationship but the unnecessary slop you usually hear about on a Savage is definitely gone. I would say it is just about perfect. The raceway is very smooth with the black flash nitride finish but the titanium nitride finish on the bolt body seems gritty so it lacks the nice smooth operation of a high end rifle. I may measure it with pin gauges and have one made down the road to see if that can be improved. As with most most Savage bolt guns, the bolt lift leaves much to be desired. I really hoped that they were going to address that on this line.

View attachment 7289980

When operating the bolt, there is a twang/ringing through the chassis that I don’t like but that is only when I am working on it. Any support like a bag, bipod or even a hand when set up to fire completely dampens it.

The recoil lug was done well. It is properly pinned. The MPA BA Competition has a wedge to secure the lug against the chassis. That would have been a really nice addition here. My Stealth had a slot in the receiver for a pin but no pin in the lug and was set a little under 10 degrees off center. Very poor workmanship. The lug on this rifle was nicely pinned with SS and well centered.

View attachment 7289983

I have not kept up on the names of different Picatinny rail designs but this one is hollow down the center of the top which helps the scope slide slightly further rearward.

View attachment 7289979

The rail has a number printed underneath the front overhang but I am unable to read it without removing the rail which I do not want to do. On the Stealth, I had continuous problems with the rail coming loose. After several calls to Savage, they sent me a new rail and screws but in the end, I picked up a Badger rail and custom fit some screws to fix the problem myself.

The front action screw is too short, it only threads in about 1-1/2 turns. I had this same problem with my Stealth. I will probably end up getting a longer screw and shortening it myself.

Grip:

Similar to my MPA but adjustable. There is a thumb rest. I don’t think it was designed to do but if you loosen all the side screws, the grip has the ability to sit less erect both forward and rearward. Choosing to do this eliminates the ability to adjust the whole grip forward and rearward. I wish I could add more pictures here.

Trigger:

The trigger is the standard Savage trigger so there is not much to say. I’m sure those have been written about ad nausium. I did find when lowering the pull weight that, at a certain point, it no longer worked properly. The firing pin would break loose but jam and lock everything up. I have it reliably set at 1lb 13oz. My Timney trigger will eventually get installed and I hope that will fix the problem.

Unless I missed something, you cannot adjust the trigger on this model without removing the chassis.

Stock:

The stock (part of the chassis) does everything I need it to.

View attachment 7289984

I did like the ability to adjust the cheek piece from side to side. None of my other rigs allow that. Part of the cheek piece will have to be dremeled to remove the bolt without lowering it.

View attachment 7289985

The thumb screws gave me some problems. On MDT’s website they appear to be machined aluminum ... these are not. The butt pad adjustment screw (up and down) keeps getting knocked loose. You can carefully pry the plastics knobs off leaving the brass colored screws but you loose the ability to adjust it without an wrench. 5 thumb screws and 10 holes come on the rifle. 5 on each side as a mirror image. I might get some extras to fill those in as well as help secure the components.

View attachment 7289987

The butt pad adjust (LOP) and cheek weld adjustment (up and down) have hash marks so you can keep notes on what works for you in different scenarios. You can purchase a kit with 4 spacers (1/4”ea) to extend pull length up to 1”. You can also purchase a folding stock adapter and a night vision cage.

Final comments:

I just found out the number of pictures I can attach is limited to 10 although it stopped me at 9.

I will update when I have data but I expect 1/2 to 1 MOA. I will most likely get a custom barrel on order while I burn this one out. That will help me determine just how good the rifle is.

Did I get lucky? No clue. Will you? Same answer. All in all, I am very happy with it. After the disaster of my Stealth purchase, getting a nice Savage 338LM was considerably more expensive than it will cost most of you.

I hope this write up helps someone. Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer.

Safe shooting, John

FWIW since you mentioned .308
Savage Ashbury Precision Ordinance .308 24" barrel
SMK 175 gr bullet with 42.2 gr H4895
2713 fps avg
5 shots 100 yds, repeated several times

Attachments

• SMK175.jpg
    SMK175.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 51
FWIW since you mentioned .308
Savage Ashbury Precision Ordinance .308 24" barrel
SMK 175 gr bullet with 42.2 gr H4895
2713 fps avg
5 shots 100 yds, repeated several times

I did my best on impact points getting MOA but very nice group. I assume 1” squares. No doubt Savage is getting better every year.

1589304041508.jpeg

Reactions: db2000
Thank you! It was pick n' pluck so I did the plucking and plastidiped the crap out everything and then used Devcon Wood Weld to glue the top and botton layers together. As for comparison to the Pelican cases... I couldn't find a Pelican that was long enough! The Explorer is specifically made for .50 BMG rifles and has 60.625" on the inside. Durability wise I think it can easily hold it's own against the Pelicans. I'll get some pics of the wheels when I get home but here's the specs...

I am definitely going to try one. Found a post from 5/17 that they were $293 shipped from B$H but unfortunately I called and the best they can do now is $385 shipped.

I am definitely going to try one. Found a post from 5/17 that they were $293 shipped from B$H but unfortunately I called and the best they can do now is $385 shipped.

That doesn't seem bad at all. Most places they are bumping $500.00 and they are NOT small packages :LOL:

Last edited:
That's not bad honestly. They are bumping $500.00 most places and the box if freaking HUGE so shipped I think that is a great deal!

I agree. I think in a few years it will be hard to justify dropping $4-$5k on a rifle. Savage does still have a lot of work to do on their bolts and triggers though. You also don’t get things like a lapped barrel in mass production. I hate breaking in barrels. The 338 took (to make me comfortable) about 60 rounds ... more than 5% of the barrel life. That’s almost $200 and a lot of cleaning but I think technology is moving so quickly that they will get it worked out. They also won’t drop into a 700 Chassis. I think if they made the trigger and action modular to the 700, their sales would skyrocket.

The "OEM" builder have to step up if they want to stay in the game I suppose :) All in all I think the 110 EP is a nice rifle with a good feature set. It would be awesome if I could run a Trigger Tech with it but maybe that will come with time. The Accu-trigger isn't horrible but improvements could be made. I'll probably grab a Timney sooner or later. Right now my funds are going into reloading equipment! :LOL:

The "OEM" builder have to step up if they want to stay in the game I suppose :) All in all I think the 110 EP is a nice rifle with a good feature set. It would be awesome if I could run a Trigger Tech with it but maybe that will come with time. The Accu-trigger isn't horrible but improvements could be made. I'll probably grab a Timney sooner or later. Right now my funds are going into reloading equipment! :LOL:

The OEM does up their game every year but too slowly. Their triggers vary drastically. I have one that works great at 13oz and another at 1lb 12oz measured by:

E8379B43-50F2-4B0E-9920-30F2E352EC2E.jpeg

There is an easy to install bolt lift kit but as advertised, there is only a 20-30% reduction ... not enough.

I have a Timney trigger and tried to install it but the fit was strange. Before saying anything positive or negative about it I need to put it on the bench and focus instead of trying to install it on the couch watching the news.

My guess is that they would run into patent issues if they changed the receiver and trigger mounting holes to match the 700. Although everyone else is doing it so I’m probably wrong on that.

Any chance you could post a picture of the wheels? Thanks much.
So... Wheel pics! Some assumption going on but they look like they are injection molded halves that are RF welded together, have bearings installed (way to smooth for plain plastic. A good flick with my finger and they spun for 10 seconds or so), and are retained with a steel axel that has a shoulder on one side and a E-clip on the other...
wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
So... Wheel pics! Some assumption going on but they look like they are injection molded halves that are RF welded together, have bearings installed (way to smooth for plain plastic. A good flick with my finger and they spun for 10 seconds or so), and are retained with an axel that has a shoulder on one side and a E-clip on the other...
View attachment 7324690
View attachment 7324691
View attachment 7324694

Hope this helps!

Thanks!! That’s what I was looking for. I wish I knew how to send a private message.

Last edited:
I agree. Find out what it likes and repeat.

First Impressions are:
Fit and Finish is good..
Scope and mounts fit well.
Stock adjustments very easy to get dialed in.
Best Stock trigger I have ever seen (no adjustment)….normally I use Timney Two Stage Triggers.
It took about 65 rounds for the rifle to 'settle down'.
No mater what powder charge the rifle did not shoot the 87 grain Vmax....about 1.75", 5 shot groups
The 95 Grain SMK was better but still not acceptable.....about 1.5", 5 shot groups
The 105 Bergers Hybred and 107 SMK shot about .8 to 1.1 inch groups with an occasional "flyer"
Total rounds fired was about 125.
The muzzle brake is L-O-U-D! Felt recoil is just about nill.
Going to pull the 87 Gr Vmax and 95 SMK and try some more of the Bergers and 107 SMK.

First Impressions are:
Fit and Finish is good..
Scope and mounts fit well.
Stock adjustments very easy to get dialed in.
Best Stock trigger I have ever seen (no adjustment)….normally I use Timney Two Stage Triggers.
It took about 65 rounds for the rifle to 'settle down'.
No mater what powder charge the rifle did not shoot the 87 grain Vmax....about 1.75", 5 shot groups
The 95 Grain SMK was better but still not acceptable.....about 1.5", 5 shot groups
The 105 Bergers Hybred and 107 SMK shot about .8 to 1.1 inch groups with an occasional "flyer"
Total rounds fired was about 125.
The muzzle brake is L-O-U-D! Felt recoil is just about nill.
Going to pull the 87 Gr Vmax and 95 SMK and try some more of the Bergers and 107 SMK.

Please keep posting groups. I hope something eventually brings them down for you. What is your distance to to target?

Please keep posting groups. I hope something eventually brings them down for you. What is your distance to to target?
All are at 100 yards off bags...….I am going to repeat some of the best groups with the 107 and 105 with IMR 4350 and the same charges with different seating depths as I have lots of room in the mag....and then try another powder. Note that this will be with once fired Hornady brass.
I have on hand:
Benchmark
BLC2
H4350 (limited amounts)
8220 (limited amounts)
Any suggestions....

All are at 100 yards off bags...….I am going to repeat some of the best groups with the 107 and 105 with IMR 4350 and the same charges with different seating depths as I have lots of room in the mag....and then try another powder. Note that this will be with once fired Hornady brass.
I have on hand:
Benchmark
BLC2
H4350 (limited amounts)
8220 (limited amounts)
Any suggestions....

Unfortunately not really. I do not have the 6 in that model and even if I did, the barrel could very well like something else. The only suggestion I can give is to try every combination of brass, powder, primer and projectile you can, keep good notes and see what works best. I personally have moved to a lot of factory ammo lately. It saves time but obviously not money. Just like everything else in this hobby, factory ammo gets better with technology and time. I switched to 6CM FGM Berger 105’s in my Bartlein and it got better results than handloads. You may want to pick up a selection of factory and see what it does. As far as I’m concerned, if hitting paper and steel is the goal, that’s all that matters. I wish factory ammo powder was not proprietary. I never actually called Federal and asked so that is an assumption.

I tested the 338 LM Savage Elite with the 285 ELDMs, 300 Sierra Match Kings, and 300 Berger OTMs. My rifle liked the 285 ELDMs the best, and the SMKs did well also. Try as I did with various seating depths I could not get the 300 Bergers to group at all. I hope to test the 300 Atips next if I can find them.