• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Elite Precision or Trued Rem action build for 223W?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
This would be for long range shooting. My current 21" 223 W does well out to about 1130 yards (as far as I've pushed it). But I'm thinking of adding another 223W. Definitely want a 308 length action to magazine feed heavys.
These are my choices:
1) home build on trued short action Rem with NSS precision lug and NSS squared and trued Remage nut, a 26" criterion bull barrel in SS and likely a Oryx or KRG Bravo chasis.
2) A Savage Elite Precision in 223 Rem.

They would end up being within a few hundred dollars difference. Of course with the home build I would have to forgo that MDT $1300 chasis that comes standard on the Savage. Don't want to hear about higher price alternatives as I'm on a budget. What to pick and why?
Thanks!
JHC

Last edited:
Another alternative...Savage 12FV from Cabela's, sell off the factory barrel and spin on a 7 twist of your choice, Oryx chassis. MDT mag will give you 2.55" OAL.

You could be into the whole thing for well under $1K and have a much better barrel. The negatives are lack of trigger choice for Savages, and missing that great chassis. But the Oryx is no slouch, mine with a X-Caliber is a laser...

Reactions: Lightning8
I just built a Savage 12 also. Donor action from Savage 12 BVSS 223. Bought a small shank 223 Wyle, 26inch, 1-7, SS 5/8x24 here off the Hide. Ordered tools from NSS. Changed barrel myself. Oryx Chassis. Using the factory Savage trigger. Shooting 80SMKs and 75/80 ELDMs over TAC. Very happy. Will build a 6mm of some form next.

Of those two choices I would go 700 no doubt.. Here’s my budget .223 Remage project I just finished..
8047EE55-8F8F-492C-922F-48C58A4CE478.jpeg
C91FA970-CA19-4E3A-B195-0046010E3302.jpeg

If the smith trued the barrel threads, a remage barrel may not fit.

Savage barrels often shoot as good as a prefit.

If I built the Rem, I would get the action, bbl, nut and lug all from NSS. I would ask , and assume, that they would all mate up fine. If they said, "no", then I would pass.