• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage experts, need some help, what's different?

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
first off let me start with i've already learned a lot for you guys. and this isn't your typical which is better for long range. i need some help figuring out the difference between these listed rifles? any additional info you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance

all are savage in 243. i picked the 243 because i feel it will fit my needs the most, in case your curious they are range time with the guy(200 yard furthest target), coyotes, hogs, and deer(hunting is the primary purpose of this rifle). don't really see me getting into long range matches, unless they are fun matches at the range for bragging rights. while i live in tx now, when i get out of the military i will be moving back to the east coast and that is where 90% of my hunting will be done. i also picked this one because my wife and kids can handle it no issues. now on to the choices. oh yeah i do plan on learning to reload, and this rifle will probably be remaining stock until i need a new barrel, then all bets are off

model 10 trophy hunter xp(nikon scope) $745
model 11 gcns $699
model 12 vlp dbm$1049
model 14 (all classic models) $860, $886, $995

all prices are msrp from the savage web site

i've read the specs on the savage website, so besides the weight, finish, magazine type, twist rate, barrel length, what's the main difference.

i guess what i am trying to figure out is one more special than the other?
what do you get for the model 14 you don't get with the model 10 to justify the extra $100 plus

i am leaning towards the model 10 trophy hunter xp because it's a package deal and while i'm sure the nikon scope is the best they make, it can't to that bad either, and will work until i can spend some cash on nice glass, and this one seems to fit my needs the best.

sorry for the long read but your opinions are valued and greatly appreciated

Re: savage experts, need some help, what's different?

all those rifles are basicall the same... the 12 is the most different w/ the HB... but they all share a common action, the other differences are barrel weight, twist maybe, length, stock, DBM/NO DBM....

one not on your list that I LOVE is the Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1...

light enough to hunt with, but has a fluted magnum contour barrel, so it can handle some range time too.

I generally advise to stay away from the more expensive Savage rifles, because in the end you just end up spending more money for almost the same value, all savage actions function the same, although theres different spacing of action screws, most, if not all savage rifles will shoot sub-MOA every time.

If you dont want to upgrade anything on the rifle, then simply buy the one that suits you best, they're all going to be accurate, just get one that suits your taste, for me, I like the 14 classic since it comes with a laminate stock, which I think looks gorgeous, but thats just me.

force multiplier- model 10 predator your speaking of, i just checked it out, i that is almost exactly what i'm looking for with one exception, i was looking for the walnut stock, and that leads to another question.

i know the barrel is a little heavier than the normal model 10, but would a normal model 10 walnut stock fit with or without some sanding work? if this is the case i'm sure i can pick up a factory stock pretty cheap on one of these sites since everyone chooses to upgrade their stocks.

also if i got the model 10 predator route, from reading the savage site the only difference i can tell from the brush and the max 1 is the brush is 1" shorter, but everything else seems to be the same.

while i'm not much on the camo stock, even if the normal model 10 stock won't be a drop in would this be a better route to go in the terms if accuracy, range, and longevity?

Considering the Savage line-up, I'd recommend the Stevens.

The 243s I've shot are just as accurate and half the price of any of the Savage models you are looking at.

You can put the money toward decent glass, reloading equipment and a better stock when you're ready.

Also you could look at a Ruger American.

But I have to say that I think the Weatherby Vanguard is a better action and rifle all round.

TC

topcat, i'll check out the weatherby and the ruger, but i'm pretty set on the model 10, i like the walnut stock, and now i'm starting to like the predator version has the heavy barrel, i know i could still get the stevens, then upgrade everything else, i might look into that, i can probably do most myself.

is the action on the stephens the same as the model 10

i've looked at their stocks for my mosin, they are pretty sweet

i was looking a little further at the predator brush, i'm sure ya'll know, but nikon has matching scope rings and scope. that might look pretty cool all camoed out

as far as the brush and max i've noticed it looks like the brush barrel is normal and the max is fluted and ones camo and ones not

how big of a difference is the barrel being fluted vs not being fluted?

ok topcat now you got me thinking, don't really care for the vanguers, but the ruger on the other hand, well the m77 hawkeye sporter and the m77 mark II target, are both very nice, both have the grey laminate stock, from what i can tell both about the same with the exception that the target has a heavier barrel at least that is my guess

You can't go wrong with the predator rifle. I have one in 6.5 creedmore. It has a dbm and the syn camo stock that is better than the old models. There are few guns made these days with wood stocks. If they have wood they are expensive. Find a rifle you like and if it needs a wood stock get a Boyd's stock. Good luck choosing!

the predator will go into any wood stock for a Savage centerfeed(4.41" action screw spacing), w/ slight modification... the barrel is between a heavy and a sporter... so you can open up a sport stock slightly... the predator has the bottom bolt release, so if the stick isn't set up for that, it'll need to be clearenced a little by the trigger

I personally recommend the Savage .243 Snow Predator. That is the rifle that I have now, and it shoots like a freakin laser!!

While I didn't get the XP version, I just got the stock rifle. I put my own glass on it, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I will be happier once my Manners MCS-T stock gets here, and I will be putting Vortex glass on it, hopefully soon. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything about it right now, including the Accutrigger.

DK

Your wife and kids will love it!! My girlfriend wants my rifle for her own!! LOL
IMAG0154a.jpg

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

If you're gonna be in the Air Force and put that ribbon/medal thingy down there in your sig line, you could at least ditch the Navy F-18 and get a background of the B-ONE on it.

Please help a brutha out and give the old bird some justice she so rightly deserves.

From a retired Bone mechanic...

thanks guys for the input, trying to decied which way to go, i am getting very ansty but don't want to rush anything

casselton, i would actually prefer the b1 especialy being stationed at dyess right now. however that is the picture i get, don't really get an option, unless it has changed, i made that along time ago, and just copied it from another signature to put in this one, maybe i'll check that out today

Yeah,
the poor old girl doesn't get much respect except from those who've seen it in action. However, those on the receiving end of her fun can attest to her effectiveness in a role it wasn't designed for.

The longeron issues sure ended the Friday flybys and airshow fun too.

so after looking at all the shops locally(except one, going there tomorrow), no one has the model 10 trophy hunter xp (walnut stock) it appears according to the savage website the model 11 trophy hunter xp(synthetic) is the same except the stock, can anyone else confirm this? if this is the case i'm going this route, while i rather have a wood stock, i can just order one from boyds later.