• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Savage F/TR rifle

30SMK

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2012
MO
Who likes these rifles and for a starter setup is there anything out there that is better?

What upgrades to the stock F/TR rifle would you recommend?

Re: Savage F/TR rifle

It will out shoot you for a long time. They are the best bang for the buck out of the box competitive rifle out there for a dedicated F-TR rifle.

That said, never go to a match with out the wrenches to adjust your Accutrigger. If you set it very light like target shooters are want to do, then it may sometimes not reset and you'll have to adjust it to get it to shoot. I've scored for two or three shooters in the last yr that had trigger problems during a match.

Personal taste here, but I like a flatter profile in the butstock, but that's personal preference. It means you need finer adjustment in your pod.

I'm building a 223 for 600 yard shooting on a Savage F class platform (switching it from a 6.5-284 barrel to a 223). Jim Crofts won the F-TR National Championship at Raton last yr with a Savage F class action and Accutrigger in a Precision Rifle and Tool stock with a Widden V block and a Brux barrel.

Out of the box you get a stock rig with a long heavy barrel that shoots well, and you can pick them up for under $1000 used from time to time. You can't buy an barrel and an action for that to get one built.

That said, the guys at Predator are going to get to build me a new 308 on a sexy beautiful Defiance action as soon as I get one of the barrels (soon and barrel somehow don't belong together) I ordered 5 months ago.

Re: Savage F/TR rifle

I have F/TRs in 223 and 308. Have only shot the 308 one, but it is one of my favorite long range rifles. Low recoil, VERY accurate, loves multiple loads and bullets.

I use a caseful of Varget with 155 Palma SMKs. Several groups in the .1s, and under .5 every time.

The trigger can be very nice, but is finicky as far as locking up when you close the bolt very hard if you have it set light.

I was hoping someone on the team would chime in. I knew last yr there were a number of other rifles on the team but I saw that and I didn't know if Savage had made a deal.

I'm sure they'd love that, but I don't see it happening anything soon. Lots of people shooting Stolle, RPA, Barnard, Bat, etc. and very attached to them.

I was competitive from day 1 with my stock Savage FTR. The shooter needed lots of work.As you wear out a barrel then you can replace it with a Match grade one. No upgrades needed to start.

Va Jim

I was competitive from day 1 with my stock Savage FTR. The shooter needed lots of work.As you wear out a barrel then you can replace it with a Match grade one. No upgrades needed to start.

Va Jim

Thanks Jim and everyone else for the comments.

Jim your rifle from PR&T is a work or art.

I have shot against factory Savages in 6.5x284 and also in 308. If the person driving them knows his stuff, these factory setups are vey competitive.

I am a newbie to F-class shooting, lots of time behind a scope with precision 22 rifles and two gun matches, 40 cal and AR-15.
With that said I am looking at the Savage model 10/110 308 FCP HS Precision with scope to be determined, and add a Harris bipod. What do you think of this set up for a beginner?
Really like the look of this particular rifle, however as novice just unsure. One thing I am sure of is that I want a 308.

I am a newbie to F-class shooting, lots of time behind a scope with precision 22 rifles and two gun matches, 40 cal and AR-15.
With that said I am looking at the Savage model 10/110 308 FCP HS Precision with scope to be determined, and add a Harris bipod. What do you think of this set up for a beginner?
Really like the look of this particular rifle, however as novice just unsure. One thing I am sure of is that I want a 308.

There are a couple of things I do Not like about this choice. One is the Harris Bi Pod, today there are many, many better choices in Bi Pods. You can certainly shoot one but they are not up the standards being set by other choices, like the Duplin, Sinclair Gen III, Centershot and about a dozen other very good BiPods. Also your choice of a rifle could be a little better for a competition rifle. In you are set on a Savage then go with a Target Action like the above mentioned Model 12 FTR. These are pretty good shooters right out of the box, the stock could be better as well as the trigger, both are easily fixed in time.

Roland

Do the F/TR and Palma rifles still have different spacing on the action screws?

edit: After finding this page and measuring my new 223 F/TR, it appears I have an F/TR with the 3.440 spacing that is shown for the Dual Port and Palma actions. I remember speaking to Effie(sp?), at Savage, some time ago about a Palma stock for an F/TR and was told they were not compatible, yet.

Last edited:
Went on a search to today and found a Savage model 10 FCP with a McMillan stock brand new $1150. Second closest price was $1300. They want 20% down, most likely will put it on lay-away tomarrow and then pick it up at the end of the month.
Did some more research and decided against the Harris bipod. TunTav gave me the idea of looking at others and there are some that are a lot better in the same price range or just a couple more bucks, by the way thanks for the advice.
I going to do what buddy Bill says this time and buy the best..."buy once, cry once". Of course that means buy the best I can afford.
Just want to say thanks for the info so far, keep the ideas coming. Like what kind of shooting mat special stuff I might need for fine tuning and sort. Or the range equipment needed to spend the day at the range.

Slapp, I still think you are making a mistake going with the Savage model 10 FCP. Your words alone might give you a clue if you stand back and be objective. You say: "Really like the look of this particular rifle, however as novice just unsure. One thing I am sure of is that I want a 308. "

You do understand that in F-Class you will "HAVE" to single load every round ? Also there is no Tactical in F-Class, F/TR stands for F Class/ Target Rifle. If you are just buying this rifle for the looks of it, Thats cool, but if you are buying it to shoot F-Class it is not a good choice.

You would be much better served with another choice for F-Class shooting.

Roland

If you are looking for a Savage F T/R, my buddy has one for sale. He's a broke college kid going for his masters degree and needs the cash. He bought it used last fall and has only put 15 rounds through it. Comes with the rifle, EGW base, TPS rings, drag bag, 485 155 Palma bullets, and new Sightron SIII 10-50x60 scope for $1850. Just need a bipod and you're ready to rock. PM me if you're interested.

Fellas, This is so timely. my daughter just shot in her first FTR match and is looking for a rifle. She used her AR15 and did real well considering. Now she wants a bad ass "tactical" weapon in 308. She is hesitant about the Savage 12 FTR as it isn't cool enough looking for her I think. Your previous advice to this shooter is so spot on. what do you want? To be accurate and deadly or cool looking and struggling to be on with a rifle. It's a hard call for a kid which she is.
I'm leaving it up to her but i hope she reads this thread. You just cant beat the savage set up.
It was for sale at Buds Firearms but we were lucky enough to get one of the last ones they had $1097 out the door.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a Savage F T/R, my buddy has one for sale. He's a broke college kid going for his masters degree and needs the cash. He bought it used last fall and has only put 15 rounds through it. Comes with the rifle, EGW base, TPS rings, drag bag, 485 155 Palma bullets, and new Sightron SIII 10-50x60 scope for $1850. Just need a bipod and you're ready to rock. PM me if you're interested.

This deal still available?

I am debating between this rifle an a savage LRPV. Cant decide!