• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

savage fcp-k

martinez_ian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2010
havre, mt
Looking for a good out-of-box long range rifle. Anyone got this savage fcp-k. Reviews on this rifle are slim-pickins. Thanks.

Re: savage fcp-k

I have two 10FLCP-k (left hand) in .223 and .308 and they
are boringly accurate...sub MOA.

You WILL like them......

That's what I've finally decided on, too. Found them online still under $800 but local shop wanted $1020. Screw that. Might as well buy the FCP McMillan if I'm heading over a grand.

I had one and sold it only due to moving costs.

If you have any specific questions about it, I will do my best to answer within the perimeters of what I experienced with it.

I loved it, if you prefer succinct.

did savage make one in 300 win mag? i remember seeing it at least i think it was the 110 flcp-k?

Yeah ... the 110 isn't in the line up this year. You can still find them here and there as NOS or used. Be aware that the stock is different and does not have the beaver tail fore end of the 10.

does anyone have an idea of why they took them out of the lineup? when i wanted to buy one i was told they were on national backorder for 3 months. so if they are on national backorder then they must be good so why stop making them?

I guess they discontinued the .300 win mag. Which really sucks...I guess I'll look towards a tikka for a good out-of-the-box gun.

they prob. had to drop the 300wm to boost 338 sales

No, only .308 and .223 this year. And if you find an older 110FCP-K in 25-06 or 300 WIn Mag, know that the stock is the standard Savage Accustock from the hunting lines, and not the tactical-style beaver tail forearm as on the 223 and 308.

As mentioned ... boringly accurate (cloverleaf with factory ammo accurate) and bulletproof reliability. Not too heavy, either. About 11 - 12 lbs with a good scope and Harris bipod. Muzzle brake is VERY effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeeH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two 10FLCP-k (left hand) in .223 and .308 and they

You WILL like them...... </div></div>
You should get the same accuracy out of a FCP-HS shouldn't you?

There are several of us on the Hide that own the 10FCP-K. This model is the most recent of the 10FP line. The are other variants with different stock options and barrel contours. I can only remember one member having accuracy problems, but I think he found the ammo he was using was the culprit. Most owners use match ammo (i.e. Federal, Hornady and Black Hill) or hand load. Typical accuracy reports are MOA or better.

Surprisingly, I have not heard of a Savage FP/FCP that does not shoot accurately.

I personally own the FLCP-K. Made my own Karsten like cheek rest and haven't looked back. It's a great rifle at decent price. If your patient, you can find them for $700.00.

I have been shooting mine at 562 yards lately. It is sub MOA all day long as long as I do my part. I put mine in a machine rest at 100 yards. The first 3 rounds when perfectly into the same hole. The next 2 were blown slightly to the left by some wind gust. But it was still a .5MOA 5 shot group. Putting a cheek pad also helps a lot with these rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeeH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two 10FLCP-k (left hand) in .223 and .308 and they

You WILL like them...... </div></div>
You should get the same accuracy out of a FCP-HS shouldn't you? </div></div>

Not sure if it comes with the AccuStock or not.
If it has it, I would presume it would be good as a 10FLCP.
But I think the HS is pillar bedded while the AccuStock
is a 3 dimensional cradle.
Entirely different setup.

I had the FCP-K Accustock and the rifle was boringly accurate, the only reason I sold it was to fund a NF purchase. I did not care for the Accustock, it was accurate but the buttpad was squishy, they moved the bolt release under the triggerguard so no CDI bottom metal (I had to return it) and I could not get a solid cheekweld. I will buy another one when funds allow but will probably go with the FCP-K HS.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it, and yes it helps!!

When I was researching before buying last time there was one online test and one print test of the Savage action in the various aftermarket and OEM stocks, and the LE Accustock shot better than the HS Precision by (iirc) a quarter inch in both, and equalled the McMillan stock within +/- .125 or so. The outcome stuck in my head, but I may not be remembering the numbers exactly. I'll try to find the info again.

That said, however, the McMillan would be more comfortable for me, for sure, for long range sessions or tactical comps due to the steeper angle of the grip. But then I'm giving up the lighter weight of the LE Accustock which I like for hunting piggies and antler rats. If I could have the McMillan profile with the Accustock wedge and lighter weight I'd be in heaven.
smile.gif

I'm surprised. I figured that the HS would shoot better then the McMillan as a result of the bedding block?
I wonder why the accustock shoots better then the HS?
Is this a factor of the stock and mating components or something different with the reciever?
What aftermarket stocks are available for the FCP-K?

I dunno. McMillan seems to be preferred over HS across most of what I read, for all actions. They are spendy, though.
frown.gif

Choate makes a McMillan style stock for the center feed Accustocked actions. One of the guys here has one. If I buy a second FCP-K that's what I'd put mine on, and make it a dedicated tactical comp rifle. Truth is though ... it prolly ain't gonna shoot all <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> much better than the Accustock. Most of us who don't do it professionally (meaning non or former LEO/Mil) can't shoot better than 1/2 MOA at longer ranges consistently, despite our claims to the contrary. So I don't know that a far heavier stock that knocked .100 off my groups is worth $500.
laugh.gif

If it gets slightly better accuracy and is more comfortable then to me it is a win, win situation. I just want to be happy with the rifle I buy. Of course the other question is cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno. McMillan seems to be preferred over HS across most of what I read, for all actions. They are spendy, though.
frown.gif

Choate makes a McMillan style stock for the center feed Accustocked actions. One of the guys here has one. If I buy a second FCP-K that's what I'd put mine on, and make it a dedicated tactical comp rifle. Truth is though ... it prolly ain't gonna shoot all <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> much better than the Accustock. Most of us who don't do it professionally (meaning non or former LEO/Mil) can't shoot better than 1/2 MOA at longer ranges consistently, despite our claims to the contrary. So I don't know that a far heavier stock that knocked .100 off my groups is worth $500.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I just looked at the Choate. I wonder how the rifle shoots with it and how he likes it?
That might be another option. Thanks!!

Check some of the Savage posts. He posted a pic of the new Accustock-fitted, centerfeed Choate recently.

Also mwroseberry has a pic of the B&C Medalist for 10FP in his sig.

what does the "K" in the model number stand for? I just bought a 10 FCP HS.

thanks

You can get a 300 WM, they are listed on the Savage site as a 110 BA, not sure of the availability but the web site does say that it is available through most dealers.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Spendy, over $2000 MSRP.

There are a number of aftermarket stocks made for them.

I wish they made been making the accustock when I got my 10FP it looks like a better stock than the B&C Duramaxx I have. I guess I shouldn't complain, mine shoots a consistant .5 MOA with Black Hills match.

For anything Savage check out these sites,

http://www.savageshooters.com/

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Rob Opp

"K" is muzzle braked designation.

Barrel is also fluted so weight is a touch less. I love the brake but wasn't so keen on flutes till I shot it beside a std 10FP. The flutes really do seem to help with cooling. I always figured it was hype/marketing.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"K" is muzzle braked designation.

Barrel is also fluted so weight is a touch less. I love the brake but wasn't so keen on flutes till I shot it beside a std 10FP. The flutes really do seem to help with cooling. I always figured it was hype/marketing.
smile.gif
</div></div>

ahh gotcha thanks. So if there is an "L" in the model number, is that left handed or something?

usually yes, L is lefty. plus alot of the new guns come with the accustock. the 10pc and 10fcp-k to name a few. they also have changes in the bolt to include a visible cocking indicator