• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage gunsmith?

TacticalMirage

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2012
crawford county Arkansas
Who is recommended for savages? I have a savage 110fp in 300wm. I'm looking to have bolt work or find a replacement. I have the pre accu trigger model so the bolt operation is less than desirable. I'm also looking to have the recoil lug switched out and the barrel threaded. If the price isn't to bad I may just replace the barrel with one already threaded. Thanks a lot.

Fred Moreo @ Sharp Shooter Supply
Kevin Rayhill @ Stockade

I've only ever interacted with Rayhill...nice guy, talkative on the phone, much easier to get in touch with via phone or email than SSS.

Those two are your savage guys for sure. But a bolt lift kit, bolt handle, polishing of parts (cocking pin, cocking cam, ejection ramp), replacement of the sear spring, and even bolt head and bolt body, are all pretty much do-it-yourself type jobs. "timing and truing" it's a term referred to about savages that's a little up for debate as far as return on investment goes. It basically has to do with ensuring that the cocking pin, sear, cocking cam, and ejector ramp are all working in unison to ensure smooth operation. Personally, I've never had a savage action timed n trued, but I've read mixed reviews on the ones that Fred had done. Some say they got charged $150 to basically have a few spots polished on their bolt.
My suggestion is to try the do-it-yourself stuff and see if it satisfies your needs as far as the action is concerned. Then you can either buy an aftermarket bolt knob, or send yours to someone like Phoenix custom rifles. They offer some pretty cool knobs for savages. They also do rebarreling jobs on savages, but they do away with the barrel nut, which looks cleaner, IMO.
They have my savage right now. I'll let you know in a month or so how it went...

I agree with Bodywerks. I have a savage LA that has been to SSS for timing and truing. It shoots great but I don't know if there was any real improvement as the previous owner had the work done. From information that I've learned since my purchase, the floating head that savage actions use almost negates the need to have the action trued and timed. Aditionally, what ever Fred @ SSS does to polish up the bolt I can say from expierence isn't really that earth shattering. My bolt still has some pretty heavy lift. Honestly I would follow Bodywerks advice with one addition, I would look into a PTG oversized bolt and work from there. There is too much play with my bolt in the raceway which makes running the bolt quickly a little more difficult. I've read that the better fitting bolt along with the suggested DIY fixes make for a really nice feeling action that should shoot lights out. I actually plan on performing the DIY bolt lift fix here in the short term, it seems to please everyone that takes the time to do it. Either way, good luck.

I bought the ptg bolt head for mine as well. I'm holding off on buying the body because I'm having mine cerakoted and hope it tightens up the play and reduces the tendency to bind as you cycle the next round in.

Where is a good place to search for the DIY fixes? Google?

Savage shooters.com

My one and only experience with Freds operation was an order of parts. I only recieved a little more than half the order was charged the full amount and I can't get Lisa to return my emails or call me on the phone. goo luck getting an answer. If they were the last place on earth that did savage work I think I would do without. Kevin Rayhill on the other hand, No problems at all.

Tried to call SSS last Thursday during the hours they accept calls as per the website instructions, no dice. Attempted to call Kevin Rayhill and spoke with him immediately. I have purchased a laminated stock from SSS several years ago and could not have been more pleased with the product, it was awesome. I do however wish their great products were easier to attain.

Mike

I haven't tried the timed or tried actions but I have had great luck with just replacing the barrels. I am currently shooting a 7saum on a stock savage stainless action with a shilen select match grade barrel and it has been awesome. I don't see any reason to spend the money.

You have a better change of hitting powerball than reaching SSS. Fred doesn't do much on his T&T job.

I had Kevin do my work and he was damn fast...I'm talking he shipped back my parts the same day he received it...this was at least two years ago. Great guy and is not into BS...you get a straight shooter with Kevin and his prices won't kill you either.

Phoenix Custom does nice work...they are also damn fast...I live in PA and it took a little over a week to ship and receive my bolt that was coated in Cerakote microslick. Monday was a holiday and I still had the bolt back that Wednesday.

Best part about owing a Savage is being able to do much of the work yourself. Savage factory barrels are aright, but if you want a threaded barrel, just buy a pre fit Savage barrel from Pac Nor, Shilen, McGowen or Brux, Benchmark and you will have a fine shooting rifle.

My friend just had his Savage F-class rebarrelled by Larry Racine to 6mm BR. Yesterday he tried a recommended load of 30 gr Varget w/108 gr Berger, touching lands. First group was 1/4" 5 shots at 100 yds. End of load development....although, knowing my friend, he will screw around more with the load. Larry is a former Palma Team member, knows his stuff. LPR Gunsmithing.