• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage gurus...advice needed

TFin04

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
Livingston County, MI
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

I have very limited long range rifle experience, but would like to build a new stick and learn more. I used to have a Savage 10fp in 223rem mounted in a Choate Sniper II stock (bought the whole package used). It was a heck of a shooter but I didn't use it much and for the size and weight, would rather have a bigger caliber.

I'm thinking about building up another Savage in 308, but would like to keep it light weight for use hunting, backpacking, etc. I know light weight and precision guns don't often go hand in hand.

Here's what I'm thinking:

This rifle with the barrel cut down to 20"
http://savagearms.com/11fl.htm

Mounted in one of these stocks:
http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_d...mp;NewProduct=0

Couple questions-

The rifle mentioned isn't a heavy barrel version. For a gun that won't see a ton of use, can this still be made into a good shooter? I don't need top of the line accuracy, but I don't want to spend time and money into this project if the gun isn't going to produce good results. I like the shorter, thinner barrel to save on weight. This rifle will be used to hunt deer, bear and hopefully mule deer. I hope to take at least one precision rifle class with it and possibly shoot in some local, fairly informal, long range competitions.

The stock is hideous, but seems to be a good compact stock for my purpose. Thoughts? Any other stocks I should be considering? I know Choate isn't top of the line in the stock world, but the other one I owned seemed to work well. Albeit big, heavy, and ugly.

Any info you can provide would be great, thanks.

Re: Savage gurus...advice needed

im no guru, but i have been putting together parts for a new rifle i want. so i have been reading alot, and searching for knowlege. so...

you did see the model 10 from savage already in that stock? im guessing its heavy 20" barrel was what disqualified that choice? try getting the price of this http://www.savagearms.com/10fpfoldingchoate.htm
rifle from your sources, as its only 10 pounds and your choice is listed at 6.5. will the 3.5 pounds make that much of a difference? plus no extra costs for having the barrel work done, and you will get a thicker barrel.

if not, and you want that stock, think about just buying a barreled action or just the action, and then buy a good match barrel in a lighter contour and drop that into your folder. do the math on all of these options and see what adds up. call Jim at northland. he will be able to hep you put together what you want, and supply you with what you need to get the most out of it. go here, http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php and look in the northland thread for jim's contact info. but do the math either way. good luck and keep us posted, update this thread when you can

oh and you can chop down to 18" and still be ok if the weight matters. i read youll be backpacking so weigth is a concern. a match grade barrel will help out alot with accuracy and consistancy

The Savage shooters I know from matches love them. Out of the box they are very accurate (308). Put a 20MOA rail and a good scope and you're able to shoot competition. The accu-trigger is also extremely sweet. One of the guys there shot a 600yard match then afterward went deer hunting with it. His rifle had the standard stock and he added the Harris bi-pod for competition. The weight was 15 pounds, so not too heavy.

Rooster

The size of the barrel doesn't determine accuracy just how low it takes to heat up before it needs to cool down. Take a look at the McMillian HTG EDGE stocks, they weigh under 2lbs and look like the M40 stock if your into that look. Also there is the FN PBR that has an 18" barrel with a muzzle break already threaded onto it. It runs for 800 or so at Fred Meyers up here in Alaska so I bet it'll be cheaper down south. It has a Near Mfg 20 MOA rail that comes with it. The only downside is that the barrel is a heavier contour, about equal to the barrel on the M700 LTR without the flutes. You could have an accurate (about 1/2 MOA from the things I've read), light rifle that will give you short length, some knockdown and good accuracy.

i was thinking more along the lines of the local competitions that he wanted to shoot in when i suggested the heavier barrel and the match grade would be an option if he built from parts. but the factory barrel would be fine too and cheaper in the long run. with him backpacking, i know those guys look at every ounce in weight, that mcm edge sounds great, and he didnt mention a budget so that may work. but it sounds like he wants the folding for size and packability. there was a sale on FN's in the last CDNN catalog i got in the mail. good rifles.

for the savage guys, i learned you can get a lighter spring for the accutrigger to get to 1 pound from the 2 that the field and tactical ones come with, its just $10

Thanks for the info guys, yes trying to keep this light and I want to stick with Savage, my version in 223 was an awesome rifle.

The factory rifle weighs in at 6lbs and change with the stock, I was thinking that by chopping the barrel and putting it into a folding stock I could still stay around 7-8lbs if possible. Anybody know what just a barreled action weighs?

Likewise, where is the best place to buy a barreled action?

Thanks.

if Jim has a moment, i am sure he will weigh a barreled action for you. the action alone is $315, but call him and he may have what you want on hand and can sell you what you need to drop into a choate stock. he used to have a thread for barreled actions, but i dont see it now. if you have a gun dealer where you are check on the factory 10fcp in the folder. where i live certain dealers will only charge 10% over wholesale. my 10fcp-hs was $900 and lists for just under $1100. you may be able to get one for less than building, but its gonna weigh 10 pounds. feel free to ask here or PM me for links to stuff. i had to call him anyway, he said around $400-425 for the barreled action. thats a 22" sported barrel though. you will have to work out cutting it down. but that and $285 for the stock you want and your good to go. i forgot to ask about weight. give him a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TFin04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The factory rifle weighs in at 6lbs and change with the stock, I was thinking that by chopping the barrel and putting it into a folding stock I could still stay around 7-8lbs if possible.
Thanks.</div></div>

Although the folder may be more compact, I would think that the mechanism will add wieght. Check Stockade Gunstocks for a stock that is similar to what comes on it factory. I think it's called a "Muledeer" stock.

While a Stockade isn't a McMillan, it's a far cry better than the tupperware Savage puts on them.

There's no need limit your search to a barreled action. It's very easy to put a barrel on a Savage action. All you need is a vice, a barrel wrench, go/nogo guages, and about a half hour.

I'm no mechanical genius. Trust me, it's really easy.

Bob

Thanks a million guys, good info here.

The stock I'm looking at is 3.5lbs I think. I figure the factory stock probably weighs around 2lbs or so, leaving the barreled action at 4 and some change. Chopping the barrel should take a few ounces off, maybe I can get around 7lbs when it's all said and done.

Just so I'm exploring all my options, what's a good choice for a lightweight, non folding stock? I've seen some pretty cool designs from guys hunting out in the Rockies, look like super lightweight set ups.

Something like the tan rifle seen here:
http://kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

You might want to check this out http://savagearms.com/10pc.htm it comes with the lighter target accutrigger and the accustock as well, at 7lbs. it doesn't seem too heavy to me. I don't have any first hand experience with this rifle but my other savage rifles flat out shoot. Good luck

Steve