• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Kaboom at Local Range

Glad you are ok .:rolleyes:

Light charge of a slow stick powder can bridge. Especially in cold weather and pressure will skyrocket and cause this. I've seen 2 different 300um's do this with both were using Retumbo. Below is the armor plate from Yamamoto after a 16" shell hit. Heat changes steel's molecular structucture combined with pressure will cause the why the action looks like pot metal. That action looks like it saw well over 250k psi The action was still locked in battery with what was left It did what it was supposed to do and saved the shooters face from being a bolt stop
yamato_battleships_armor_plate_shows_what_damage_armor_piercing_shells_can_do_640_04.jpg

I witnessed the same kind of failure last year at a match. Not a Savage. Dude beside me shooting a rifle with a suppressor. He fired, gun went boom….thought that’s strange….he is suppressed. Also felt something hit my shoulder. Looked over at him and the whole side of the rifle receiver was missing. 6.5 Creed factory ammo. Sustained cuts to hand and some shrapnel to the face. Had eye pro on thankfully. Dude sent rifle back for analysis. Determination was barrel had loosened from receiver and started to back out. Maybe same here?

Reactions: Robert4
So... long ago and far away, I was able to tour the factory a few times. At their test range there was a rack of fully assembled guns from across the entire product line, all slated for destructive testing - aka 'Death Row'. Including (at the time) a row of 110BAs in .338LM. Those actions were supposedly rated for 130k psi... I asked "how the hell do you plan to blow one of *those* up?!?" The answer... "Probably fill the case with Blue Dot and sit a bullet on top." ;)

FWIW the failure mode was supposed to look a lot like what happened here.
Looks almost identical to this one, loader supposedly had 30 years experience which obviously doesnt translate to expertise.

Last edited:
I witnessed the same kind of failure last year at a match. Not a Savage. Dude beside me shooting a rifle with a suppressor. He fired, gun went boom….thought that’s strange….he is suppressed. Also felt something hit my shoulder. Looked over at him and the whole side of the rifle receiver was missing. 6.5 Creed factory ammo. Sustained cuts to hand and some shrapnel to the face. Had eye pro on thankfully. Dude sent rifle back for analysis. Determination was barrel had loosened from receiver and started to back out. Maybe same here?
Holy crap! 😳

No reloading input, but that is a savage axis.

Also, second the comments on savage actions being plenty strong. I've put about 3k of 8k rounds of 338 lapua through one, and closer to 10k 300wm through another.

Interesting indeed.

Light charge of a slow stick powder can bridge. Especially in cold weather and pressure will skyrocket and cause this. I've seen 2 different 300um's do this with both were using Retumbo.
This was preached to us by reloading manuals and articles regarding the .25-06 in the late 60’s and 70’s. While it could not be repeated in the lab, several documented events where very light charges (10 grains in a case that can easily hold 60 grains) of the old surplus H4831 had blown up rifles in that caliber.

Reactions: RTH1800 and XLR308
All of my pistol powder i keep stored in a two round 105mm military wooden crate and have for years, all rifle powder is stored in other crates.
I would have to be drunk, blind, stupid or all three to mix them up and only keep one container out at a time.
Its also a practice of mine to look into cases i have charged before i start seeting bullets, the reason is it only happened once but i did seat one bullet into a case years ago without a powder charge.
Felt pretty stupid on that one.

Reactions: lash
My dad taught me how to reload. One of the first lessons was the only powder that is in the hopper/charger/powder measure is the only powder on the bench. If I'm working with 260 and using 4350, I don't have Unique also on the bench because I want to load 45acp. Glad everyone is ok

All of my pistol powder i keep stored in a two round 105mm military wooden crate and have for years, all rifle powder is stored in other crates.
I would have to be drunk, blind, stupid or all three to mix them up and only keep one container out at a time.
Its also a practice of mine to look into cases i have charged before i start seeting bullets, the reason is it only happened once but i did seat one bullet into a case years ago without a powder charge.
Felt pretty stupid on that one.
That was some advice my dad gave me as well when I was learning to reload, was to keep a flashlight on the bench and look inside every single case before seating a bullet. I caught a couple bridged powder charges back when I loaded longer stick powder on a rotary RCBS.

An issue I found, IMR4350 as currently packaged and SR4759 is packaged in a bottle with a wrapper very close to the color of the 4350. Easy to mistake. I find that too many bottles of powder just look too close to other not similar powders.

Problems happen, Made it myself once, loaded 20 of 40 .223 rounds with WW296 instead of WW748. Guess what, double and triple checks during the process saved my leg and ass and hand. that very sweet little Kimber Predator, shooting creedmoor would have removed my right leg, probably my hand and who knows what else.

Double and triple check and then still check again. So, much of this thread would make an outstanding preface to any reloading manual or article.

In these days, I have solved a lot of this worry (not all but a lot) with the three rounds I load the most. I use three very distinct and distinctly packaged powders. Those three calibers I load for; .223 uses TAC in the square bottle, 6GT uses VARGET with the Hodgdon colored bottle and 6.5 Creedmoor, I am pretty much married too Superformance in its very maroon bottle. Makes it easy but not foolproof, still triple check both before and during the loading process. (Oh, did I forget to mention, I use checkweights on the scale to verify the weight I set on the scale?).

5831EA89-E8EC-48B3-87A4-3DC83E08ED19.jpeg

Reactions: XLR308
how much do you want to bet he's not pulling every round of ammo he has

"i know these are good"

Reactions: Bender
I’m going to guess a squib, just because he likely loaded those 50 cartridges at the same time and it wouldn’t have made it that far if pistol powder was in them.
Could have been a bad bullet. A .270 or 7mm got past QC got squished in the case but not down the bore.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Glad nobody was hurt too bad,

Now we need the Savage fans to tell us how accurate they are... you wonder when we tell you in the podcasts how much we wrench on Savages in classes and people want to argue with us, we see 100s of shooters across the country every year, not just one location or situation , but a wide variety

Friend's don't let friends shoot Savages

Now we need the Savage fans to tell us how accurate they are... you wonder when we tell you in the podcasts how much we wrench on Savages in classes and people want to argue with us, we see 100s of shooters across the country every year, not just one location or situation , but a wide variety

Savage shooters right now:
1C964B75-5684-4BA6-A9EF-5D3036646D34.gif

Or blow them up 🤣🤣

In their defense, they generally just shake apart in class, the bases come loose, I have seen a bolt fall apart
The last savage I messed with, every single screw was loose. It was in a MDT chassis it came from the factory in it, and every single screw on that chassis was loose also, even the little panel screws.
I wonder how many scopes get sent back because of loose base screws.

It seems that everyone wants to blame the shooter and a bad reload. If you look at the pictures there isn't any damage to the barrel apparent. If you do a little research you might find that there have been more than a few Savages fail because of firing out of battery. That would better fit the damage in the photos.

It seems that everyone wants to blame the shooter and a bad reload. If you look at the pictures there isn't any damage to the barrel apparent. If you do a little research you might find that there have been more than a few Savages fail because of firing out of battery. That would better fit the damage in the photos.
If it would have fired out of battery then there wouldnt be the distinct and deep impression of the bolt lugs on the reciever lug abutment would there ?

720A37DB-50EB-4066-9110-321B215949C5.jpeg
What XLR308 is referring to above

Normally an explosion that big in a bolt action is operator error

Either pistol powder in case or squib that blew up, but generally speaking bolt actions don't explode, wasn't the bolt in the action and locked in place? It sounds like it blew when fired

After taking a closer look at the ammo box, it appears there’s factory and reloads in the box. Definitely can’t rule out wrong powder.

Interesting that the barrel "looks" just fine. Case didn't stand and chance, gas cut through the bolt like a block of cheese and away went the action.

Interesting that the barrel "looks" just fine. Case didn't stand and chance, gas cut through the bolt like a block of cheese and away went the action.
That was indeed surprising. When we looked at the barrel, we couldn't find any obvious bulges, and the bore was clear of any obstructions.
Impossible to determine at this point, but if it had been a squib, wouldn't we expect to see some obvious damage to the barrel?

Reactions: XLR308 and lash
I agree. It suggests to me that it wasn’t a squib halfway down the barrel, unless it was just deep enough to allow the next cartridge to be chambered.

I also blows my mind that the guy didn’t even keep all the parts in order to help figure out what went wrong.

I also blows my mind that the guy didn’t even keep all the parts in order to help figure out what went wrong.
A lot of people just don’t think that way. Folks like us need to investigate and debrief. We want answers. A lot of folks are just “ well that sucked” and move on.

I think we are less perplexing to them, than they are to us…..

Where you been? I`m surprised it took this long!

A lot of people just don’t think that way. Folks like us need to investigate and debrief. We want answers. A lot of folks are just “ well that sucked” and move on.

That is true. I’ve always said and seen that ignorance truly is bliss. Those with inquiring minds find that things are usually not just black and white. The more that I know, the more I realize what I don’t know.

Agree wholeheartedly. Doesn`t matter the make of the gun, it needs to be thoroughly investigated. Potential public health issue.

The fact of the matter is NOBODY on here knows what actually happened. Naturally, that in no way will hinder the Savage bashers. This is like a high, hanging curve ball for them. GOT to take a swing! Facts, whatever they might be, be damned. It`s rather amusing. Predictable, but amusing nonetheless. Wouldn`t be SH without them!

Reactions: Carlos Danger
The fact of the matter is NOBODY on here knows what actually happened. Naturally, that in no way will hinder the Savage bashers. This is like a high, hanging curve ball for them. GOT to take a swing! Facts, whatever they might be, be damned. It`s rather amusing. Predictable, but amusing nonetheless. Wouldn`t be SH without them!
I can substitute a case full of Bluedot for H4350 and put it in a short action savage i have and use a long string to fire from cover.
Im sure the resulting carnage would look just like the rifle in question in this thread.

That was some advice my dad gave me as well when I was learning to reload, was to keep a flashlight on the bench and look inside every single case before seating a bullet. I caught a couple bridged powder charges back when I loaded longer stick powder on a rotary RCBS.
Bridged Powder Charge.

First I've heard that term. It's a good one.

Yes, that's why we look at cases in loading blocks under bright lights.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I can substitute a case full of Bluedot for H4350 and put it in a short action savage i have and use a long string to fire from cover.
Im sure the resulting carnage would look just like the rifle in question in this thread.
Replace Savage for any other action and you get the same results I would think. I've seen more non-Savage actions blown up than I have Savage but it almost always comes down to the powder.

It’s not that I’m wanna bash savage, I actually love my 112. But the axis is just crude, it doesn’t feed well, the bolt binds. It’s a sloppy mess. I’m not sure why savage wouldn’t refine it to at least the model 10 standards.

Replace Savage for any other action and you get the same results I would think. I've seen more non-Savage actions blown up than I have Savage but it almost always comes down to the powder.
I never said anything different, fill a rifle case up with fast burning pistol powder and you have a grenade.
Are some actions better made and more durable with higher quality steel and better tested by intentional destruction testing, sure.
I read somewere on this site i think it was kelbly tested one of thier new actions to 130,000 psi.
I will see if i can dig it up.