• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage LRPV

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Anyone here have a Savage LRPV-(long range precision varmint rifle)? Any feedback- likes dislikes would be great.... Thanks

I was hankerin' for 1 in .260, but traded for a .308 700 w/Vortex instead. If I were to buy a bolt new, this is exactly what I would buy. Accurate barrel, adj. trigger, alum. block stock, all for under $1k. What's not to love? Barrel changes are much easier than a 700 too......

I have the LRP in .260 and it's great. It shoots .5" and I am only an intermediate shooter. I think the only difference between the LRP and LRPV is that the "V" is single shot. But, their single-shot is considered their "precision" action for bench shooters and limited to a few calibers. Get the LRP instead. It's a bit heavy, but bearable.

I like it so much, I may get one in .243.

Last edited:
I am not a huge Savage fan, but the LRPV, single shot, in 6mmBR is powerfully appealing. The 6mmBR cartridge is very accurate, the rifle delivers on its reputed accuracy, and frankly, when shooting off the bench, I do like the right bolt left port design. Never tried it, but can see how it is beneficial. You can operate the bolt with right hand (and keep hand on it), pick up ejected shell with left hand, load with left (seeing what you are doing with loading port on left), close bolt (hand still on it), and never move your cheek off the stock. This model also has a rigid receiver with no opening for a magazine. I might buy the receiver, a custom barrel, and make my own for no more money, but out of the box, the Savage LRPV is quick, easy, and very good in my opinion...and from all that I have read, an opinion shared by many others.

Phil

I own the Savage LRPV in .223. It's a really heavy setup! Mine has the factory savage drop mag, right hand ejection, and very accurate. These things will shoot the lights out. I probably wouldn't have bought the gun in .223 but my wife needed something to go out with me occasionally when I shoot so I got it for her. It's sub moa out to 400 yds with Hornady 68 bthp. I haven't taken it out farther since I usually take the .260 or 300 wm when I go long range. very nice setup though.

I have the single shot, 7 twist, LRPV. I live the right bolt, left port design. It's a shooter too! I've shot a few 3/4" 200 yard, 5 shot groups with it. A friend borrowed it for a 600 yard F-Class match and fired a 196-6x with it on his final string. It was his first match.

I pick up a 223 LRPV, DBM, repeater action a couple of yesrs ago. Model# 18461. I swapped out the factory 9 twist barrel with a 223 AI chambered 8 twist Brux. Unlike the current versions of the LRPV this has the closed top receiver like the LRP. It came with the target trigger and uses a large shank barrel. Even though it seemed like it was a pretty popular model Savage discontinued production of it. :confused:

I wish I could find another.

B

I pick up a 223 LRPV, DBM, repeater action a couple of yesrs ago. Model# 18461. I swapped out the factory 9 twist barrel with a 223 AI chambered 8 twist Brux. Unlike the current versions of the LRPV this has the closed top receiver like the LRP. It came with the target trigger and uses a large shank barrel. Even though it seemed like it was a pretty popular model Savage discontinued production of it. :confused:

I wish I could find another.

B

This is the same setup as mine, closed receiver, target trigger and so on. I'm pretty sure it's 9 twist. I'm local to the Bud's Gun Shop, and when I bought it a couple years ago, they were not sure if it was 7 or 9. I have yet to check it, but it does sling 75's pretty good.