• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage magazine issues

snake_charmer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Florida
I'm currently running a Savage 10 FCP-SR (1st gen). I don't use the magazine often but it seems whenever I do it's not smooth at all in getting the bullet seated into the barrel. I find 50% of the time I'm finagling with the bolt carrier to try and guid the bullet in. Any recommendations?

Feed lips may be too tight or too loose. Go to the barrel nut forums and post a thread there or search their 110 forum.

Sadly, the bolt binding up 3/4" out of battery isn't uncommon with Savages and is a big reason why I've sold most of mine off. I believe it has to do with the slop of the bolt to the action, and an induced lever arm that can be put on the bolt while operating which can lead to the round binding up and you needing to stop, pull the bolt back slightly, then drive the round home into the chamber.

I don't have a solution, sorry...

Try Savage and get them to fix it for you if you have to slap the bottom so the bolt can catch the shell. That is poor and loose tolerances. Bad QC described in that thread.

Yea, I have one of the early models. Mine doesn't even have a model number on the magazine. Just says accumag on one side and .308 on the other. They obviously knew it was an issue because they've since enstated a new model number magazine to supersede the original.

Well, I spoke with Savage and they suggested I:
A:Ship the rifle to them with the magazine so they can fix it for me.
B:Ship them the magazine and they'll ship me a replacement.
C:Try an aftermarket accuracy international magazine with it.
D:Replace the internal magazine feed mechanisms to allow the new/updated magazine $300.

Gonna go with option B and then C on this one. Wish they operated like Smith and Wesson and supplied you with an emailed return shipping label.

on my 1st GEN, I run AI 5 and 10 rd and no problem. I use the oem for a spare. also Magpul 10 rd with very good results. The Magpuls fit great, feed great and are smooth like Butter. I did experience the same problem with the original mag. Sloppy fit, rattles and binding. The ist gen Rifle is great though.

on my 1st GEN, I run AI 5 and 10 rd and no problem. I use the oem for a spare. also Magpul 10 rd with very good results. The Magpuls fit great, feed great and are smooth like Butter. I did experience the same problem with the original mag. Sloppy fit, rattles and binding. The ist gen Rifle is great though.
I might order the AICS 5 round mag from midway USA. It's like $68. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...ck-to-top-link
I'll try that out before ordering a second one. I was looking at the magazine more today and it definitely sits an 1/8" too low in the mag, not a lot of rattle though, fits pretty tight, just slightly low. I found that if I was fairly quick on the bolt that I could get all 10 rounds chambered but I discovered a problem.

The brass on the bullets was skimming the feed ramp or barrel, due to the angle/lowered height, and causing speed bumps striations in the brass. Probably wouldn't cause too much of an issue inside of 100 yards but long range I would think that would have a slight impact on aero dynamics and stability of flight. Also cleaned up some fine brass shavings where it was skimming before and into the barrel.

Last edited:
image_67480.jpg Edit

Last edited:
Pretty common problem.
Mine did it.
PTG bottom metal with AI mag fixed it.
So did the chassis I'm running with AI mags.

Pretty common problem.
Mine did it.
PTG bottom metal with AI mag fixed it.
So did the chassis I'm running with AI mags.

Well, dropped $85 for an AI 10 round magazine from midway and it definitely didn't fix the problem. The magazine actually fits tighter than the factory one and doesn't feel as lose. I took some pictures of the new magazine inserted: http://imgur.com/wwAEU1F

Last edited:
image_67347.jpg Im not sure if the picture will help or not. I'm not much of a gun Smith at all so not sure what the best route is now. Just keep hammering them home at 100-200 yards and hope the ramp will eventually wear itself in with all of the rounds I put through it? Take a dremel and try to sand the ramp down to make the bullet transition path easier? Take it to a gunsmith? Oddly enough the first five of ten rounds are very hard to feed but then the last 5 rounds go smoothly into the barrel. This is probably due to the spring pressure in the magazine?

Last edited:
Can you post a pic on how the cartridges mate up with bolt face in the magazine?

This is mine with PTG bottom metal and an AI 5 round mag.
I'll look at my chassis tonight as it feeds like butter as well.
I think it's a height issue not a feed ramp issue.

IMG_0378.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
image_67478.jpg This is the new AI magazine with a full 10 rounds in it. Based on th comparison between the two it sits higher if anything.

Last edited: