• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage malfunction

crumpmd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama. USA
I have a Savage Mark II BTVS
Since I got it 5 years ago I have had a problem intermittently. I chamber a fresh round and the trigger will not pull. The accu-trigger mechanism is affected by something. If I open and close the bolt (not a complete cycle, open and close) the trigger will function. When it does not do this, it breaks clean at about 3lbs. It seems to be worse when the rifle is dirty. I clean the bolt and chamber after each use. I clean the barrel after 500-1,000 rounds by pulling a bore snake. Rifle has about 4,000 rounds in it so far.

Any ideas about what may be happening in this action?

Dave

FWIW, I have a Savage in .17HMR that had a similar problem, but without the Accu-Trigger. I noticed that I had dialed my aftermarket trigger back to such a light trigger pull that if I closed the bolt hard enough the sear wouldn't engage and the very tail end of the bolt (that springs forward when you pull the trigger) would be resting as if I had already shot...a simple up and down on the bolt handle would re-cock the firing pin and I'd be back in business. Obviously not the safest situation and I have since put the trigger just over 3lbs and it functions fine. Not saying this is what you have going, but it sure sounds to me like you're sear isn't engaging for one reason or another. See if, when you aggressively close the bolt if this situation is more common than when your delicate with it.

I will check sear engagement. It only happens when a round is chambered. If cycling the bolt with no bullets and dry firing there is never a problem. (I know about dry firing rimfires than you.)

Not an intermittent problem. Happens frequently. The firing pin is locked back on cycling the bolt and chambering a round, the accu-trigger accu-release is probably keeping the sear from allowing the firing pin mechanism from moving very far and is doing what it is designed to do, preventing a discharge when the trigger is not pulled. May be a while before I get it perfected, and an aftermarket trigger may be the answer. We will see.

It is inherent to the crappy accutrigger. The only way it will be even remotely reliable is to increase the trigger pull weight and remove all the grease from the sear and sear catch.
My suggestion is, since you already have to have the action out of the stock to do this its better to just remove the accutrigger and replace it with a sss trigger.

Is the trigger returning all the way forward? The firing pin will not cock if the trigger is being pulled when the bolt is closed.

I have a Savage 10FP in 308. I had the same thing happen to me today. Again. My problem has been intermittent but I had it happen to me twice today when I was dry firing.

The Accu release ( the little silver leaver thats supposed to act as an additional safety ) locked in place. Fully extended. I had to cycle the bolt to get it to operate and then it happened again.

I have not been able to duplicate the problem after the second time but I hope it does it when I'm at home so I can pull the action out of the stock and see if I can see what position things are in. If that happens I'll post a picture.

Thats if I don't get a different trigger first. I'm sure this issue will come back and this will happen again at the worst possible time.

Just wondering how often it is happening.
First post "Since I got it 5 years ago I have had a problem intermittently" crumpmd
Couple posts later "Not an intermittent problem. Happens frequently" crumpmd

I have the same issue with my Savage 10ML muzzle loader, the little POS silver "lever" in the trigger won't pull back. Since it's a single shot I just check that the silver thing moves and if it doesn't I just re-cock the bolt. If I was serious about this rifle I would replace the POS Accu-trigger. The Accu-trigger is a way for gunmakers to make a crappy trigger lighter than actually putting a good trigger in the gun, sadly more and more manufactures are using versions of this abortion on their new guns.

Have those of you that are saying "the little silver lever is stuck" ever bothered to actually remove the action to see what's happening?
The accurelease (little silver lever) is catching the sear when the trigger fails to do so. It is doing its job of saving you from a slam fire. It feels locked up because it is holding back the loaded spring pressure of the firing pin spring.
The accutrigger is undoubtedly the safest trigger you will ever put on your savage. It just also happens to be the least reliable.
My recommendation stands, replace it with a sharpshooter supply trigger, available from tacticalworks.com. It has is own sear catch built into it that doesn't rely on the factory sear being properly machined. It is also about 95% more crisp, and far more reliable.

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Last edited: