• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark 2 F questions

xilovelsdx

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Titusville, FL
Hey hows it goin. I just bought my first rifle the savage mark 2 f. I have been toying around with it as I have just gotten into guns and shooting and this is this first rifle I have ever shot/owned.

I was wondering if it is okay to dry fire this gun? Ive looked in the manual and searched a little online and couldnt find the answer.

I also live in Titusville, FL. Was also wondering if anyone knew of any good places to go plinking?

Thanks,
Chad

Re: Savage Mark 2 F questions

As a fellow noob I had this question as well. Did a little searching and what I came up with is that it is possible for it to cause some minor damage, but you would really have to do it a ton. I just try not to do it often. No problems yet. Anyone else have a contrary opinion or some advice for the noobs?

Im also pretty much building my rifle exactly the same way TOP PREDATOR made his mark2 f. Except I bought a rimfire technologies rail. I just bought the flat one since im just getting into shooting and didnt really know if I would need the 25MOA yet.

I just got my rail and scope today and just mounted them. Gonna read up a little tonight and attempt at sighting it tomorrow at the range in the morning.

Any advice or lead me in the right direction of some good reads would be nice!

I wouldn't. Most rimfire firing pins will reach the front of the chamber rim, and peen the rim underneath where the rim is supposed to be supported in order to ensure reliable ignition. In essence, this support area constitutes an irreplacable anvil in the rimfire ignition system. Peen it enough and your rifle may not fire reliably. I've had it happen to me, so I don't dryfire rimfires anymore. There may be a few that you can get away with when doing this, but I figure as long as you don't dryfire or bugger up the crown on a rimfire, they're pretty much immortal; so why take a chance on changing that? Even if it's not a flawless masterpiece, it deserves to be treated with more respect than that.

Greg

buy lots of different ammo, see what your individual rifle likes. then judge (if it's a more expensive ammo it really likes) if the ends just the means and expense for the amount and type of shooting you are going to do.

scrap the bipod when first zeroing, use a good stable front rest and rear bag. let the front and rear support do the "holding" to alleviate most doubt if it was shooter error.

there's a bunch of threads on weight sorting ammo, search 'em up and see what you think. i believe it's worth the time to do it.

then buy plenty of it and shoot!

thumb through the rimfire comps threads, especially the learnings threads, there's a bunch of good intel there.

if you still have that cursed non accutrigger stock trigger, you'll be better off with an alteration to it or a rifle basix ASAP...performance /results will jump 10 fold. that stock 6lb trigger is a bear!

there's a bunch of threads on dry firing, split decision on dry firing. i'm under the opinion that the metals used now are better than way back and there's less chace of major damage, depending of course on how much dry firing you actually do. but when in doubt, use snap caps or empty casings, there's a few threads here on that also. type in "dry fire rimfires" the first few results are pretty good. EASIER TO FIND STUFF - sniper's hide google search

...plus what greg said.

Thanks for the advice!

And I do have a non accutrigger rifle I'm pretty sure... Is it really that big of a deal? What can you really do to make it better?

I also was looking at my bolt today and it almost looks like the.... "hooks/casing retractors?" Idk the name of them, but the little hooks that grab the shell casing to pull it out of the chamber have worn down a little. Ive put maybe 200 rounds through the gun should i even been seeing wear or am I just a retard and messing it up? Ive dry fired the gun maybe 20 times since ive had it never really thought that would hurt it till I was on this site.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance just saw it today.

Opinions about triggers will vary. My trainer is an older version of the same rifle you have, basic trigger and all. It shoots every bit as well as I can and better still.

My thoughts on triggers are as follows.

Yes, a fine trigger can coax the best accuracy out of a rifle, in the right hands. I believe, however, that a training rifle should not pamper the shooter. If all you're accustomed to is a tuned trigger, a non-ideal trigger can give you trouble. On the other hand, if you train on a Plain-Jane rifle and trigger, those same triggers will not affect your shooting, and you should be able to adjust to a tuned trigger after just a shot or three.

About your extractor/ejector question. Does it work? If so, don't worry so much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it; and don't lose sleep at night wondering what disasters await around every corner.

Practice until you can cover a group of ten shots at 50ft with a quarter. That's the requirement for the Boy Scout Rifle Shooting Merit Badge. Not super, but respectable. Do the same thing at 50yd, and you're actually competitive. My MKIIF will do it, I know this because it's helped quite a few Scouts earn their badge, and so will yours when you're up to speed.

Find a club, get out, and SHOOT!

Greg

Yea I wasn't to worried about it. Was only gonna fix it if it stopped working.

But that was my thinking with the trigger. I'm going to try to get as good as I can with this gun before I ever feel the need to buy another.

Too bad I only have 9 more days till I leave for Air Force Basic! Not enough shooting time! Hah

Air Force Basic...

They still do that at Lackland?

I was scheduled to depart for Lackland in April of '66 when my draft notice arrived, and I ended up in Parris Island in February '66 instead.

Damage done...

Greg

Push for aerospace mission support and request Patrick AFB as your permanent duty assignment. As a Veteran visiting the Space Coast region, it's my absolutely favorite military base.

Greg

Yea I live about 30 minutes away from Patrick. Ive heard its almost impossible to get because most people go there to retire.

It is a really nice base, but im also not so sure id like to be stationed there as I would like to get away from this place.

But I also really have no idea of where id like to go. Ive been thinking about asking to go over seas to Japan.

Greg, this is a rare occurance, but I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I don't agree that a new shooter should employ a less-than ideal trigger lest he become pampered or something.

Poorer quality triggers lead to poor technique - anticipating the trigger release (through learning the particular "stacks" of that trigger), flinching, attempts to "ambush" the target when the sights are "right" because the trigger is too predictable, etc.

Learning on a poorer trigger also leads to excusing too many variable as being the fault of the trigger pull, and it makes it harder for the newer shooter to diagnose where his/her errors lie.

It's like saying that new shooters shouldn't use sights or firm rests when learning to shoot - that going really basic would lead to better results.

I agree that new shooters shouldn't play the equipment game too much - they shouldn't be spending thousands on the finest available until their shooting justifies it - but when it's something as essential and relatively inexpensive as a quality trigger, I think they're better off going for good ones.

Long time no see, BTW - been AWOL from here for a time, currently in A-stan.

xil;

I still think that aerospace misson support is the place to be in today/tomorrow's Air Force. If the Space Coast is a bit too close to home for the initial stages of your Air Force experience, there are a lot of other air bases that do the aerospace missions, like Vandenberg, Edwards, etc. Should you elect to stay and elect to retire from the USAF, Patrick may be a better fit once you're past the requisite milestones.

Also, there are only three acceptable answers for a Recruit to provide during basic; "Yes, Sir", "No, Sir", and "The recruit will find out, Sir". (Actually, these really only apply to Plebes at the AF Academy, but it'll impress your Instructors postively without being overly cheesy.) Also, it is a better thing to help your fellow recruit first, than to help yourself first.

Paul;

First, greetings to thee in Afghanland. Stay intact!

Disagree away, it a good thing! I agree in principle, but we depart when we discuss what the basics need to be grounded upon.

It's my belief that the true marksman's firearm is but a tool, the skills are what's important.

Taking this to the next step, that marksman should possess skills which are not dependent upon any particular advantage or set of advantages. Those skills should include the ability to deal with any disadvantages of the firearm, and I believe those skills need to include experience in adapting to and overcoming those disadvantages.

One does not acquire these skills by confining one's training to systems that favor the shooter with advantage after advantage. A shooter who can accommodate the lesser favored firearms succesfully should have no problems adapting to those which are better advantaged.

Bad habits are going to learned/unlearned regardless of the particular platform upon which they occur. Habits are about training and tutelage, and not about equipment. IMHO the more challenge the equipment pprovides, the more is learned.

I learned my serious post-service shooting skills shooting with an SKS first, and a Garand next. It wasn't until several firearms later that I got my hands on a 1903, and then, a truly sweet bolt varmint gun.

I think the progression from clunker to gnat neuterer serves the developing shooter better than the opposite approach.

Greg

This is back to the dryfire question. I would just take an empty brass insert it in the chamber and have no worries of pinging the chamber. Thas just my .02

All,

First, Greg is absolutely right about learning to pull what ever trigger you've got. While a match trigger may inspire better shooting from someone who does not know the first or second thing about good shooting-sight alignment and trigger control, any trigger that can be pulled smoothly is good enough to get good results for anyone who actually knows a little something about the principles of marksmanship. In fact, a match trigger, except in the context of match shooting is a liability. I cringe when ever I see ads from Rock River promoting "tactical" rifles with "match trigger'.

In general, dry firing with a high power rifle allows the shooter to understand overall marksmanship, perhaps, masked, or not as well defined with the recoil of live firing. With a .22 LR, recoil is not an issue and neither is the cost of ammunition, so why not practice live. With live fire, the call can actually be compared to the strike, allowing for more conclusive shooter/target analysis.