• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark 2 TR

Old Salt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
North Carolina
I've been reading these forums for awhile now and finally joined in. I also broke down and ordered a Savage Mark 2 TR for a practice rifle and cheap shooter. I shot High Power Rifle for a long time till my eyes gave out but shooting with a scope ain't too bad. Thinking about shooting F Class with my 308 at Camp Lejuene in the near future. Keep up the good post!!

Re: Savage Mark 2 TR

Good on You.

I am picking up the TRR SR this weekend, Leupold and the Gemtech will then be installed.

I can't wait.

I've got a SWFA SS 10 X 42 HD and Burris Extreme rings waiting for mine. Got to order some ammo, thinking about Wolf Match. I don't know yet if I'll need another scope base or not, I'll try what comes on the gun and then maybe change. I would like to get a gemtech in the future let me know how it works out.

Welcome to the Hide! Congradulations on your upcoming addition. The TR is a great rifle, and should do very well for you. I have one and love mine. I've had great results with the Wolf Match (Target and Extra) as have many others, so that would be a great place to start. Of course, every rifle is different, so you have to find what works best in yours.
I opted to install a Rimfire Technologies 25 moa base because I was planning on shooting longer distances. With that base I'm able to dial my Wotac 4-14 out to 300 yds with no problem.
I've shot it out to 400 using holdover, and have repeatedly made hits on a 8" steel plate, so the rifle/ ammo combination is definitely capable.
Out of the box, I found cycling the bolt to be a little stiff, but after giving the bolt a few passes on a buffing wheel, it now has a nice "broken in" feel to it.
What height rings do you have for it? If you were to go with the RT base, you will want to use lows or super low (I have super low on mine with a 50mm objective). With the factory 2 pc bases, mediums, or possibly lows should work.
Good luck, and enjoy!

I've got the low rings and will be using a SS 10X42 HD mil click scope so it should fit pretty good I hope. I don't have a base yet and will use what comes on it for awhile, kind of tapped out right now and will just shoot it at 100 yds. I ordered a brick of Wolf Match and one box of Wolf Match Extra today. The rifle should be here tomorrow, I've got some CCI Blazer to run thru it till I get the Wolf stuff. This is my first new rimfire in over 40 years, can't wait to get it.

Well I'm happy for you! It sounds like you're going to have a very nice setup as well. Hope you love it,
-Dylan

Old Salt,

If your in need of ammo a little cheaper than the Wolf give the Rem. Sub-sonic stuff a try. It shoots very well in my Mark II.

Thanks for any advice guy's, I appreciate it. I'm kind of hung up on what base to use later when I've got a little extra change, I'd like to be able to shoot out to maybe 200 yds, maybe it will work with the stock mounts, I don't know? I've got a Harris bi-pod also that I switch between my bolt gun and AR-15, will try to post a pic tomorrow when it get's here and I get the scope on it and I'll check out some Rem ammo also.

The base that it comes with should get you to 200 yards no problem. But beyond that, then you need to start looking into +MOA bases. Mine's an EGW 20 MOA unit and I bought it for 40 dollars. They're great products. Good shooting,

-Dylan

Should be getting my savage TR out of lay away tomorrow... sounds bad but im getting excited! lol

Hey rshew2779, did you get your TR yet? Mine came yesterday and is all setup now. Took five rounds of Aguila 60 gr and zeroed it and it's everything and more than I hoped for. I think this ammo isn't going to shoot very well tho with the twist rate of the TR. I've got some Wolf getting here on Wed. I think it will like that a lot better. Winds blowing really hard today, I'll wait till it dies off some before shooting anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Salt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey rshew2779, did you get your TR yet? Mine came yesterday and is all setup now. Took five rounds of Aguila 60 gr and zeroed it and it's everything and more than I hoped for. I think this ammo isn't going to shoot very well tho with the twist rate of the TR. I've got some Wolf getting here on Wed. I think it will like that a lot better. Winds blowing really hard today, I'll wait till it dies off some before shooting anymore.</div></div>

try the 40gr Aguila match, mine likes it

Thanks, I'll give em a try, trying to figure out how to post a picture and not having much luck.

Trying for a picture;

bi-pod.jpg

Thanks for the tip on posting a picture; there's probably a zillion pics of these rifles but this one is mine.

Very nice rifle! Looks like the scope height is just about perfect with the low rings! The 25 moa base adds a little height, so I had to put a stock pack on my rifle to give me a little extra cheek height, even with the super low rings.
Good luck with the rifle. Enjoy!

Got my Wolf Match ammo today and was not dissapointed, three rounds touching and two off to the right. I knew I pulled them when they went off but I'll take that for now as good. Didn't measure but a little over an inch. Gotta get in shape, that sucks when you're an antique like me. Picture should be rotated to the left!

firstgroup.jpg

Yes i Finally Got Mine, And Ive Tried A Varity Of Different types of ammo to see what shoots the best for "practice" im gonna be using cci standard vel. its shooting good... but for matches im gonna be using the Eley Black box OMG The Group I Shoot with the eley at 50 is the size of about a Nickel.... But So Far So Good No Complaints What So ever with the rifle...Oldsalt What Part Of NC you from?

Nice rifle Old Salt! I have a EGW 20 MOA rail on mine, along with a Sight Mark 4-16X44 scope & .990 EGW rings. I rarely have time to shoot much lately, & when I do have the time The wind is blowing. But I do enjoy my MKII TR. I have one in .17 HMR & recently put a TR stock on my MKII FV. This made a whole new rifle out of it. Much better!
My Son & Son-In-Law are stationed at Camp LeJuene.

I'm about half way between Jacksonville and Swansboro, not far from the back gate of Camp Lejuene. Kansas45 I know what you mean, it's been raining or blowing a gail ever since I got mine but at least I can shoot it behind my shop. I live out in the county so thats not a problem.

Country life has it's perks Old Salt! Both of the boys live near Jacksonville. I have been spending a little time with the trusty ol' chain saw cutting a shooting lane through a grove of trees. I'll be able to reach 200 yds, & at least 100 of it will not catch too much wind. I can go 450 in another area of the place but that's wide open wind wise. Works pretty good for other stuff, but the .22's have a hard time fighting the wind. Usually we have calmer days the closer to summer we get. It's not always windy in Kansas.

Hey Kansas45; I did the chain saw thing about 15 years ago and could go up to 100 yds. but I keep it at 50 for the 22. There's a good range (Flatwoods) about five minutes from here to shoot center fire stuff. If your boys like competition shooting they should check out http://coastalcarolinarifleclub.com I don't know these folks but they host a lot of long range matches at Camp Lejeune and sometimes NRA high power matches.