• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark II FV-SR most accurate ammo?

Simplejack

Private
Minuteman
Model specific information I am seeking. Same barrel, length twist on this model. High powered scopes and a steady shooter with little or no wind. What ammo is giving the best groups at 50 and 100 yards?

Aguila .22 LR Super Maximum 30-gr. is super fast for 22lr. but not sure how accurate this ammo is? This is just one type I was looking to try out, but not sure yet.
I haven't shot my rifle yet, but I'm trying to make a list of what to buy so I can take a few boxes out with me when I go shoot. Not interested in the super high end Olympic match grade ammo, those are very pricey and will save that test for the future, but feel free to list your results if you had tried them.

Not interested in other models of rifles in this thread.

Mine likes the remington golden and cci mini mag. I've not been able to get my hands on any match ammo since I bought it.

I have a BTV so you probably don't care that it prefers subsonic ammo in general, higher quality (say, SK or Norma TAC-22) will shrink groups a little and reduce flyers, but cheap stuff (CCI SV, Rem SSHP, Win 40grn SSHP, etc) does really good too. Plenty of stuff out there around or under $6/box after shipping.

But.... some other rifles like high velocity stuff better. However, when shooting at beyond 50 yards, you'll encounter the sonic transition wobble...

In short - only way to determine is try anything you can get that you are willing to buy on a regular basis if it is available (which is why I've never tried Center-X or any of the mid to top level Ely offerings, etc)

My mk2 likes eley target. Left is 10 shots, right is 5 st 50 yrs. 3/4 dots

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_190405.jpg
    IMG_20190617_190405.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 60
Doncha love wallet groups?
Seriously, the absolute best results those rifles ever produced,
or as I like to call them, random acts of accuracy.
If you are going to show examples of ammo quality,
then show the results from an entire box
all on one target, so it will not be a random act of accuracy.

The best results from any rimfire rifle,
will be provided by ammunition having the fewest defects
and the most consistent muzzle velocities.
None of this find the brand y'er rifle likes foolishness
as that is just so much bs as any benchrest competitor will confirm.
Rimfire ammunition quality is not a constant.
It varies during production and some batches will be decent
while others from the same line will be barely pistol fodder.
Unless, those claiming superb accuracy with cheap ammo
are doing so by shooting at distances less than 30 yards.
50 yards and beyond, all those visible cartridge defects
won't allow predictable trajectories.
Only an occasional wallet group.
You want consistent trajectories from rimfire?
Lot test at the factory run test centers, then buy.
Don't buy ammo that looks like the Keebler elves beat the bullet nose to snot with tiny ball peen hammers.

502_000001038_a8d2_2.jpg

This is what happens when I'm stuck indoors while a hurricane goes by. ;)

Last edited:
I'm no help with this. I have one and have run several different brands of ammo, both high and standard velocity, through it and it just doesn''t shoot very well at all---with any of them. It didtn't shoot very well in the factory stock so I put in in a Boyds pro-varmint and got no improvement. I've tried thread protector, no protector, various muzzle devices, different action screw torque settings, etc. in various combinations and it still won't come close to the early MK II I own.

I had it at the range this morning. I finally gave up in disgust, cased it, and came home. I going to clean it later today, stick it in the safe, and stew about it for a time to see what I can think of to try next. Maybe it will get a trading off for something else.

Mine really liked Aguila super extra in the factory stock with my can.
Haven't shot the gun yet with the Rigid chassis yet

Mine shoots best with Wolf MT and a new brick of Norma Tac22 is showing good signs of over taking the Wolf at 50 yards. I don't have photos but most 5 shot targets are .500 or less with the dreaded flyer thrown in to ruin a .250 target just because.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Mine seemed to like Wolf ME and Eley Edge. Really it shot most of the mid priced ammo I tried well. As far as accuracy went mine was pretty impressive all around.

some lots of CCI SV shoot amazing out of my B22 FVSR. Some lots shoot like crap. The most consistent seems to be SK Standard +.

I shoot mine suppressed so use subs exclusively.

The CCI standard velocity and Gemtech sub loads are boringly consistent. I’ve shot several different lots of each and gotten excellent groupings. I think CCI loads the Gemtech stuff.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
After stewing aboub my less than great, IMO, FV-SR I decided to do a little more tinkering. I've never, ever, had a 22 rimfire lead up on me but since this was a used although new appearing rifle I decised to see if it had leading. Nope. I checked to see if the bore loosened up at the muzzle. Nope again. The grown appeare OK with a magnifing glass but very shallow so I lapped it some. i also found another muzzle device gadget that I made several years ago for it's much older brother that I wil see if it does anything at all, either good or bad.

After stewing aboub my less than great, IMO, FV-SR I decided to do a little more tinkering. I've never, ever, had a 22 rimfire lead up on me but since this was a used although new appearing rifle I decised to see if it had leading. Nope. I checked to see if the bore loosened up at the muzzle. Nope again. The grown appeare OK with a magnifing glass but very shallow so I lapped it some. i also found another muzzle device gadget that I made several years ago for it's much older brother that I wil see if it does anything at all, either good or bad.

I have one of the DIP FV-SR muzzle brakes if you want to try it.
Screenshot_20190908-121244_Samsung Internet.jpg

I will gladly send it your way.

All my rifles shoot Lapua Center X well. Try that. Midas+ is marginally better in most of them but the difference does not justify the cost for me. Eley black works well in some. It cuts cleaner holes too. Again, tough to justify most of the time over the CX ammo. Some lots of the old Wolf match extra worked great for me but I ran out of it and newer lots were not as good. Wolf is now made by Eley and I have not tried it yet. Nothing has worked better for me outside of those listed.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Shot FGMM out of mine and it was total hot garbage. 3 FTF out of the box of 50 and 1.5" at 50 at best and 3-4" at 100 yards when I tried it. CCI and Remington Golden are the two best bulk ammos that I have put through it so far. Just got some Aguila and Eley to try whenever I get around to putting a new scope on the rifle.

I took my less than stellar, in my opinion, FV-SR to the range early this morning sfter doing some more tweaks to it last week. No wind to bother me so I experimented with ammo and muzzle devices. Aquila Super Extra SV gave me my best results. I got groups ranging from just a tiny bit over .5" up to a bit less than .7". CCI-SV didn't do as well although I did shoot four shots into a little over .2" but the fifth shot blew it up to almost .7" This is a little improvement in performance. I also shot some SK Magazine that I bought during the great ammo drouth. I haven't been able to get good results with this stuff in several different rifles and it didn't do any better in this one. It's going to become pistol plinking ammo.

The best shooting muzzle gadget turned out to be an aluminum thread protector that I made that closely copied the original steel protector. Next up is some more testing using a little more expensive ammo.