• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mark II TR as a practice rifle?

Wintermute

Sergeant
Minuteman
As I'm getting more into long range shooting, I've been looking for a less expensive way to practice which also allows me to practice more often. I have shooting sessions with my uncle about once a month on base (he's retired 1st group, during his career he was in 3rd group and 10th group as well). Since I only get time with my uncle out at the range on JBLM about once a month, I was looking for something in .22 to practice with out to about 100-200m more often.

Do you guys think that the Mark II TR would fit the bill for that purpose? I'd like to stick to a bolt action since that's what I'm working with in 308. If not the Mark II TR, would you have any alternate recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

--Wintermute

Re: Savage Mark II TR as a practice rifle?

I run a Savage TR and a CZ 452 Varmit. Both are great rifles but the winner of these two is the CZ. I like my Savage but it don't get used much anymore.
Most likely, either one will suit you fine.

I bought the Savage Mark II TR as my inexpensive ammunition training rifle. So far I have been happy with it and am trying to improve my technique with subsonic ammo, breathing and trigger control. I think this would make a nice addition to your arsenal. There are lots of good choices out there...
IMG_0183.jpg

100 yards on a windy day...
IMG_0190.jpg

lets you do this...three rounds from a GAP .308 at the same 100 yard range..JaxOps
IMG_0200.jpg

I tried doing the rimfire thing as a 'trainer', I didn't find that it helped at all. Only thing it does is get you out when you are limited on funds, but doesn't really help you shoot the big guns any better. That's just my take anyway.

Branden

I've found it helps me out. I shoot on my property with a pretty decent .22 pellet rifle after work. It does help me with technique. The cost isn't an issue for me, but time is. I don't really have that much time to get out to the rifle range, so I practice on my property with the pellet rifle. The nearest rifle range to me is only 100m so I figured I'd practice there with a .22 bolt gun. Once I month or so I'll make it down to JBLM to shoot at real distances with a 308 or 270win.

--Wintermute

I love shooting my Savage. I think it DOES make my shooting better. Obviously, you can't get the same experience you do actually putting rounds down range out of your primary rifle, but it IS a great way to work on your technique when you are broke or can't get out to a long range.

I use the Mueller APT 4.5-14X40 On my TR. If you have the 500-600 to spend on a scope then you could go with a better one than the Mueller. For the money you can not beat the Mueller , all three of mine are clear all the way to 14 power.

004-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sphillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Mueller APT 4.5-14X40 On my TR. If you have the 500-600 to spend on a scope then you could go with a better one than the Mueller. For the money you can not beat the Mueller , all three of mine are clear all the way to 14 power.

004-2.jpg
</div></div>

this is the exact same setup I plan on running my TR with. Looks like a good time. Ground squirrels look out!

I just ordered a TR today, should be in next week. Thanks for the input, this thread was very helpful. I already have a MkII Mako, and I hope this is a step up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, one additional question. I'll be picking up the TR shortly...now, what scope would you guys recommend? Price range for the scope probably around $500-$600.

--Wintermute </div></div>

I run a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my CZ452 and have been very pleased with it. Camerland NY has a steal of a deal on them right now:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

Bunsen, that Vortex scope looks like a pretty nice topper for my TR. The other option I was thinking of was a Leupold custom shop VX-3 4.5-14x40mm with M1 dials. I'm thinking that from a cost perspective, the Vortex is probably a better bet (about $680 for the Leupold vs $430 for the Vortex).

--Wintermute

My trainer rifle is a Savage MKII in the tacticool stock. I have a VX-III 4.5-14x40 with fine duplex on it, mounted on an EGW 20moa base. That gets me out to 315 yards.

I've heard mixed opinions on whether my 22 is "accurate". The best ammo I've found will print 1.5-2 moa groups at 100 yards.

I haven't found the 22 to be very helpful in training for prone, high precision shooting, BUT, something not mentioned yet here is positional shooting.

The 22 is quite helpful for practice sitting, kneeling, offhand and other non-prone shooting, where the shooter isn't capable of (much) better than 1.5 moa to begin with.

Heck ya, I like my little TR ALOT! Added a Rifle Basix trigger, beefed up DIP bottom metal, EGW 20moa base and some Krylon & it's G2G...
AugPAcoyotes034.jpg

it's like a baby brother to my GAP rifles and darn near as fun to shoot!

.243Match
julypics060.jpg

And 7 Wizzer...
julypics070.jpg

I'm digging the sponge paint on those sticks...

CompleteRifle2.jpg

Here's my trainer. Started out as a Savage MKII FV, put a Boyds Tacticool on it, upgraded the bottom metal, 20moa base, and a Truglo 6-24x44 Mildot scope.

Of course, rocking the sponge paint as well.

Great guns for the money.

Charlie

The Savage and a Vortex scope are a great option to get what you want without setting you back too much $$$.

damn, you guys did great on your Krylon jobs!!! Very nice!

On a side note, I have seen a few Mark II TR's for sale that indicate a small hole near the trigger guard in the stock. Is this normal for the rifle, or is the stock maybe a sloppy seconds factory deal? Thanks all.

One last question. What ring height should I get for the vortex scope? I ordered in the EGW 20moa rail. I'm planning on getting Seekins rings, but I don't know if I should get the low (.82), medium (.87), medium-high (.92), or high (.97) rings.

I also ordered in two 10rd SS mags and the DIP bottom metal.

Thanks in advance.

--Wintermute

My PST lived on my tr for a while. Seekins mediums are perfect.

You picked a good one. Get the Rifle Basix trigger and DIP bottom metal....awesome upgrades and well worth it.

DSC02003.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

I've already ordered in the DIP bottom metal. I figured I'd give it a shot with the stock trigger and see how I like it before getting a Basix.

Here's what I've ordered so far:

Seekins Precision rings (medium)
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Mil-dot glass
EGW 20MOA scope base
Harris HBRS bipod
DIP bottom metal
2 SS 10rd magazines

I figure that should get me a pretty good start with this rifle.

--Wintermute

For a tr would you guys suggest getting a mil reticle or standard reticle? I am having a hard time.

I have the Mueller APT on mine , it comes with the Mil-Dot reticle i like it a lot .

Anyone who went Rifle basix, send me your accutrigger. I've been looking at the TR and FVSR, but haven't found either at a good price lately.