• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mk II BTV and TR .22lr owners

HappyGA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
Millwood, GA
Looking to hear reviews of your likes and dislikes of these particular combinations.

Would you buy it again if you had it to do over? What, if anything, did you do to it after you bought it (for accurizing)?

I am torn between the Mk II BTV and the Mk II TR.. There are no places near me that you can go and handle these particular guns.

Thanks

Re: Savage Mk II BTV and TR .22lr owners

my freind has the boyds tacticool stock on his 93 and it feels great.savage rifles shoot great out of the box but trigger work and finding the right ammo is the main key. here is a 5 shot group out of my 93 with a 1lb trigger and pillar beddeding done with a airsoft stock at 50yrds.
012012010756.jpg

here is one at 100yrds
012012230026.jpg

I bought a TR and feel like it is a bit of a waste as far as money goes. What sets it apart is the finish, the stock, the barrel flutes, and the bolt knob. I don't really care for any of these things.

The finish is ugly in my opinion but I'm a fan of blued metal and would have really loved this rifle if it were blued and not what appears to be parkerized (I don't know for sure if it IS parkerized or not but is similar).

The stock is strong for the most part, minus the bedding area, which is crucial. The bedding area is somewhat weak, but downfalls are to be expected with inexpensive rifles. Personally, I would have rather gotten a plastic/wood sporter stock and just replaced it down the road. The one upgrade that I would recommend (for ANY model of MkII) is to replace the bottom [paper thin] metal that they come with. D.I.P. sells an 1/8" thick replacement as does Savage Gunsmithing and both units are solid and do what they were intended to do, which is allow you to properly torque the action screws (a way of accuracy tuning) without worry of the metal warping and allowing the fragile wood to crack.

The barrel flutes are shallow, and very unnecessary. Totally useless on a .22 for cooling effects and whoever posts that it saves weight (on a TR) is full of crap. The weight savings are minuscule and unnoticeable. The flutes are PURELY for aesthetic purposes, so if that's your thing, then all the more power to you. It isn't my thing anyways, so I could easily do without them.

And lastly, the bolt knob is nice to have and use compared to the knobs found on the other models, but still unnecessary and not exactly what I want. I am planning to have it replaced with something more my style.

All in all, it is a fine rifle if the features are worth the extra cost to YOU. They weren't worth it for me, and I wasted money because of it. Looking back on my decision, I would have been much farther ahead to buy a different heavy barrel model and just replace the stock sometime after purchase. I'm still debating if I should sell my TR and buy a different model just to save a few bucks and end up with a rifle that much better resembles what I want.

All that being said, when I bought the rifle, I really just wanted the "tactical" look in a rifle that I could train with for when I could afford a centerfire. After falling in love with rimfire, I realized what I bought had perfectly suited the intended purpose, but now that my interests, and consequently my tastes, have changed drastically, it is no longer what I want. Therefore, I am unhappy with may of the features that I paid for when if I weren't quite as stubborn I could have bought a different, more "plain" model and ended up with something that MUCH better suites my style of shooting.

Our tastes certainly do change as we grow and try new things. If you want to train for your tactical centerfire then the TR may be the right choice. This is what I originally bought it for and it served the intended purpose perfectly. Now that I have dabbled in other things, I no longer care about "tactical" rifles. I'm much more interested in NRA/CMP competitions. For instance; I like shooting positional sports like: Silhouette, 3-Position, Smallbore Prone (slung up), and the Rimfire Sporter league really interests me as well. I suck at all of the above, but I love them all because they are FAR more challenging than sitting at a bench or behind a bi-pod laying on your stomach. My TR does none of these sports properly, but does "good enough" for a beginner at all of them for the time being (minus Rimfire Sporter because it doesn't meet the restrictions but that doesn't keep me from practicing it on my own time).

To each his own. I've said quite a few times on this forum and a couple others, I love iron sights. But most people here seem to prefer scopes. My tastes are different and out of place so take this with a grain of salt. If the TR is what you want because it serves your goal properly, then go ahead and get it. But I would still HIGHLY suggest you buy the BTV or whatever other model you deem ideal if the "extras" on the TR aren't totally worth spending the extra coin.

I hope this helps!

My best,
-Dylan

Terror,

I don't know if we are on the same page as styling, but that is one of the reason's I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the TR.

I was raised hunting and was taught how to appreciate a fine gun. The finish of a gun is part of it to me. That is why I have the BTV on here as one of my options, as I appreciate the finish and look of it.

I just got off the phone with a local gun shop, and I can get the BTVS (stainless model) for $428.00 total

the trainer would run me 437.63

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terror,

I don't know if we are on the same page as styling, but that is one of the reason's I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the TR.

I was raised hunting and was taught how to appreciate a fine gun. The finish of a gun is part of it to me. That is why I have the BTV on here as one of my options, as I appreciate the finish and look of it.

I just got off the phone with a local gun shop, and I can get the BTVS (stainless model) for $428.00 total

the trainer would run me 437.63 </div></div>

It sounds as if you may be better served by checking out what CZ has to offer. You'll get better fit and finish (in my opinion)and still have an accurate rifle in your hands.

It depends on what you want. I wanted a trainer that was similar to my "big" guns with larger bolt knob, more tactical set-up but the ability to use less expensive ammunition and work on my technique. If you want esthetics then purchase those firearms that fit your bill...but I really like the TR and have done little to it other than a DIP one piece top picattinny rail to mount the scope. I would like the DIP bottom metal but that may come at a later date.
IMG_0193.jpg

So far it shoots fairly accurate for my skills and needs, but heck that is what I bought it for...to practice with... Go find a few that you can handle and decide what best fits YOUR needs....Best of Luck - JaxOps
IMG_0190.jpg

...100 yards with NW winds 13-15

It is personal preference between Savage and CZ. They are both fine rifles, especially for the money. But CZ's do have a better fit and finish. Both rifles have their own merits, but I think I would want a Savage anyways. I don't like skinny barrels though, and that's what most of CZ's lineup is comprised of. The type of shooting you will be doing plays the biggest factor in the rifle that is best suited for you. So, what all do you plan to do with it? You mentioned that you were raised hunting, I can relate to that. Will the rifle be a paper puncher or will it see its fair share of blood too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terror,

the trainer would run me 437.63 </div></div>

OUCH! That's what 700s used to go for. IMO, what they've done is just jacked the price up with goofy stocks and gimmicks. You used to be able to buy a 597HB for less than 300, now you can buy the action in a screwed up stock for over 400 and this happened in one year.

I have a Mk.II BV and felt I got ripped off when the dealer upped the price to $265. I'd look around for one of those or older LV or even a plastic FV and restock it. I have a 4-16X44 Redfield on the normal BV and I need nothing to maintain a cheekweld.

If you want to "train" with a .22, find a club that would hold a match at 25 yd. using 10 meter air rifle targets. Shoot the course of fire the same as you would NRA highpower sporter. See if your offhand doesn't improve, see how much you need to follow-through with a .22. You can shoot damn near any cheap ammo at 25 yd. and not worry whether it's sub or supersonic.

I have a TR with no regrets, I absolutely love mine. I think the BTV has a beautiful stock & is a fine gun but I feel that the TR stock has a much much nicer feel. If you decide on a BTV make sure you handle one with a scope on it first.

My father purchased a BTV because he liked my TR so much. He then sold it back to the dealer at a heavy loss 2 days later then bought a TR. For some reason the comb on the BTV stock made it very uncomfortable for both of us to get a good cheek weld & forced you to roll your face over top of the stock a bit in order to get a straight on sight picture. Scope was not crooked or canted.

Good luck on your decision!

Have 2 BTV formats - one 22lr one 22wmr. I was sold on the BTV 'cause the angle and ergonomics of the pistol grip on it is very similar to that of the FN-FAL (my other rifle).

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a BV or a TR either.

Some good information here.

You can still get Savage in the less than $300 price range, but it will not have a heavy barrell and will be in a basic setup.

This gun will punch a lot of paper, but will see it's share of squirrels also. I have trees all around my property, and you can sit in one spot and shoot at squirrels for hours on end. They have become a nuisance, getting into my storage building, and climbing all over my new Kawasaki Teryx (lil bastards)...

I am waiting on a reply from a few different internet dealers on both setups, and they are pretty much dead even on price, with some places having the TR a little higher than the BTV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some good information here.

You can still get Savage in the less than $300 price range, but it will not have a heavy barrell and will be in a basic setup.
</div></div>

Well you can get the FV-SR with a heavy barrel it is 16.5" though. For me that is what I wanted and it was under $300 not much at $279.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This gun will punch a lot of paper, but will see it's share of squirrels also. I have trees all around my property, and you can sit in one spot and shoot at squirrels for hours on end. They have become a nuisance, getting into my storage building, and climbing all over my new Kawasaki Teryx (lil bastards)...</div></div>
Oh what I would give to be blessed with that burden...

I'll box em all up and over night them to you.. Be sure to open the box when you are in your living room... Oh yeah, set up the camera...

My rottweiler hates them with a passion. he weighs 110# and has caught a few of them.. aint purty at all when he catches them...

Sadly, he thinks a cat is a squirrel too. I am not a cat person, and although the death is quick, i still hate that pussy cats cant come around. they are good for field mouse control.

i have the BV, and have shot the TR on several occasions. i like the feel of the TR but enjoy the look of the laminated wood on the BV - it's actually the only rifle i have left with wood on it.

if i had to do it over, and especially if marlin XTVR was available at the time, i would have probably went with the marlin XTVR.

i may just be getting that marlin in a few weeks, and thinking about selling the BV, but i just looks so nice that i may redirect it as a dedicated silhouette rifle.

keep in mind the BV and the TR are the same action, trigger, barrel. the TR has some nice eye candy with it, biggest attribute is the bolt knob and stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the trainer would run me 437.63</div></div>

if that's the price difference, get the TR. both are going to be very heavy humping around the squirrel woods though.

I had the same debate, I went mark ii tr, I just wanted to shoot from a bipod, couldn't be happier, if I were looking for something to carry around a lot, I'd go with the thumbhole stock.

I went Savage MK II FVSR with boyds tacticool, dip bottom metal/trigger guard, egw 20moa base, burris xtreme tac low rings, and a weaver tactical 3-10 x 40 mil scope. I got the newest blackhawk bipod as well. Today was my first day on the range with it and I couldn't be happier. It's a shooter and the boyds stock is awesome. That was a much cheaper option than the tr with similiar results. It's a shooter too, holes all touching at 50 yards.