• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage MK II FV-SR ammo?

bbyars

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2018
Waco/Tyler , TX
Ive tried quite a bit of ammo but seeking some recommendations.

I have tried:
Wolf Match
CCI Mini mag
CCI standard
Eley contact
Fed GM Match
Fed GM target
SK Match
SK Match long range
and quite a bit of the bulk offerings in hopes to get a decent shooter cheap lol

Having a hard time putting up $25 a box of 50 for rimfire.

Although most of these will shoot decent groups at 25-75 yds, i test at 100 still to see how consistent the ammo is. So far the best bang for the buck is CCI standard and Wolf performing the best for me overall.

Rifle has and upgraded Boyds stock and BM. Harris Bipod and Diamond back tactical FFP. Also shooting suppressed if that matters. SWR Spectre II.

While some may call it junk ammo, my Savage B22 and Mark II FV-SRs are about equally accurate with Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity as they are with CCI SV. When I first started shooting NRL22, I was burning through bricks pretty quickly. So I stocked up on both CCI SV and Agulia SV when I caught them on sale for less than 5 cents per round for CCI and less than 4 cents for Aguila delivered. These days I usually shoot Wolf Match Extra or SK Rifle Match (depending on the rifle) as they are reasonably priced compared to some of the higher end ammo, have accuracy good enough for most of my needs, and are less prone to having fliers than the Augulia and CCI SV. I still use the Augulia and CCI SV for initially sighting in a scope, breaking in barrels, and general plinking.

My salvage runs gecko .22 bolt action match ammo like it stole them.
AF6822CA-78E3-4B3E-BAEB-5F2313B369F8.jpeg

I'd say check your crown for defects, ensure there is no lead accumulation in the chamber (especially the forward end), and give the barrel a good cleaning out between different types of ammo, using Shooters Choice Lead Remover.

Bear in mind that each time you deep clean, the bore needs to be reseasoned with the new ammo type choice.

My MKII is a very old one, and loves CCI SV.

Greg

Reactions: camocorvette
I also have a Savage MkII, and have for the past 5 years tried to get that magic ammo thats just abit better. Ive tried Eley, RSW, Wolf..Ect.
After all that wasted time and effort, I keep going back to SK Standard Plus . Never disappoints, great price, and gives me Minute of Tree Rat type performance out to 150.

I have an early MK II FV in home made stock with trigger work that does very well with CCI-SV and even better with SK std+. I haven't shot anything higher priced in it for quite sometime. Now that I have joined in the long range thing that is sweeping rifle shooting that will change. Gotta join in the latest fad. :rolleyes:

I also have a MK II FV-SR that resides in a Boyd's pro varmint stock. So far I haven't found any ammo that gives anywhere near the accuracy of it's older cousin. Things have changed with the MK II rifle and not in a good way IMO. I'm still tinkering but this thing may wind up as a steel and can plinker using the cheapest ammo I can find. I could have bought a Rossi for a LOT less money to do that and my oldest great grand kid would be big enough to shoot it.

Ive tried quite a bit of ammo but seeking some recommendations.

I have tried:
Wolf Match
CCI Mini mag
CCI standard
Eley contact
Fed GM Match
Fed GM target
SK Match
SK Match long range
and quite a bit of the bulk offerings in hopes to get a decent shooter cheap lol

Having a hard time putting up $25 a box of 50 for rimfire.

Although most of these will shoot decent groups at 25-75 yds, i test at 100 still to see how consistent the ammo is. So far the best bang for the buck is CCI standard and Wolf performing the best for me overall.

Rifle has and upgraded Boyds stock and BM. Harris Bipod and Diamond back tactical FFP. Also shooting suppressed if that matters. SWR Spectre II.

I had a MKii FV-SR in a Boyd’s Tacticool stock that absolutely loved Wolf Match Extra. I had issues with the magazines all the time with that rifle but dang that thing would shoot. My friend is now shooting NRL matches. He just replaces the magazines periodically and seems to be doing fine with it. I know he has never lost a match because the rifle wasn’t accurate enough.

Mine is in a Tacticool stocl too & shoots Aguila std vel great also as well as Geco Rifle & Tac 22 & I shoot golf balls at 300 yards. Takes abrick or 2 to break it in. I can buy 3 cases of Aguila std vel for $319/shipped.

Mine likes CCI standard velocity and also the Gem-Tech load. I think the Gem-Tech is made by CCI but am not positive.

mine shoots very well with the Norma match 22. can be had for $60 - 500rds

download (4).jpeg

ill have to give norma a try and have to get some SK plus. Just ordered some Geco match.....well see how that does.

Have any of yall had any gritty residue build up inside your action? cant figure out what it is.....could be suppressor related but i dont know how. I dont know if it is accumulating in the safe or from can use.

+1 for Federal Auto Match from my FV-SR. Tried several other brands and subsonics that were inconsistent.
This saves me some coins shooting 22lr!

Have any of yall had any gritty residue build up inside your action? cant figure out what it is.....could be suppressor related but i dont know how. I dont know if it is accumulating in the safe or from can use.
Have you tried the all the ammo you outlined without your can?

I have a most-basic Savage Mark II GXP - a (extremely nice-looking, if you ask me...) basic wooden stock and it came with a Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope that was absolutely fine - but a friend dropped it at the range, and it would no longer hold zero, so it was replaced with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope ... and it's uncannily accurate with all ammo.

Gunk-and-junk Remington rimfire ammo is less accurate than CCI & Blazer, but still, it's ridiculous. I even get decent results from Winchester. (But if I had my choice, it would be CCI and Blazer.)

Reactions: Gunnie88
I have a most-basic Savage Mark II GXP - a (extremely nice-looking, if you ask me...) basic wooden stock and it came with a Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope that was absolutely fine - but a friend dropped it at the range, and it would no longer hold zero, so it was replaced with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope ... and it's uncannily accurate with all ammo.

Gunk-and-junk Remington rimfire ammo is less accurate than CCI & Blazer, but still, it's ridiculous. I even get decent results from Winchester. (But if I had my choice, it would be CCI and Blazer.)
They are just nuts accurate rifles right out of the box. Sorry to hear about your scope but the Nikon was a good upgrade.

Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne