• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage MK2 FVXP package for my son.

PAGhillie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
PA
My son wants a 22lr bolt gun to go along with his S&W M&P 15-22 he got last year for Christmas. He has been looking at the Savage MK2 FVXP. The weak points look like the stock and the scope to me,but for $269.00 it still looks like a good deal for him. Anything other pros/cons of this gun?

Buy a more basic gun WITHOUT the cheap scope. Buy a replacement stock from Boyd's or wherever and a cheap but decent scope like a Simmons or something. Then you and your son can put the whole package together and have a great bonding moment :beer:

Mitch

I bought one in 22lr & one in 17hmr for $169 each when Dicks Sporting Goods opened this summer. Mine came with a very decent 3x9 scope they mounted in full-size rings & bore sighted. I have several savages with the 18" threaded fluted barrel, tactical bolt handle but liked the green stocks on these. Both shoot very well. What's wrong with the stock? You can do better than $269 with the holidays coming up.

Flylo,you see nothing wrong with the stock? Most others say its the weak point.
My son wants a boyds tacticool stock and 3-9 Vortex Diamondback scope also.
$169.00 at Dicks? Dicks could be giving it away and I wouldn't take it from them!

I won't deal with Dicks again either but they were new in town & had $100 off $300 purchase so I bought 3 rifles. I really like the Savage MK II FV-SR 22lr with the tactical bolt knob, fluted heavy threaded Barrel & pic rail scope mountl for $225/shipped & no BS CC fee from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. I have several of them for the grandkids coming up. Cabelas had $149 4x14 BTC scopes with a printing error on the box for $39, so for under $300 it's a nice package.
The stocks work for me but you could add a cheekpiece if needed. What does he not like about the stocks? All of mine have been great shooters. A lot of rifle for $225 IMHO.

Flylo,its not that he doesn't like the stock,its that we are worried about it flexing. Lots of negitive talk on the stalk on the net. But hey its the net and I don't believe everything I hear. Lol
Here where I live this is only the 2nd MK2 FV I've seen in a year,there gone as fast as the shops get them. This one is put back for us and I'm getting it today.

It was a nice cool afternoon so I took the Savage out back & shot a box of thunderbolts.. I've been shooting up some old Win dynapoints that are several years old. I ddn't even have change the scope settings, same poi @ 60 yes. Ten shots in a finger size ragged hole with the 3x9 scope that came with the package. Then I shot at a 3 swinger small $10 steel thing I boughtGreat. fun cheap!

PAGhille, how did it shoot? I shot a box of CCI std vel & besides 2" low & right the same 10 shot groups. I have 3" stick on targets on ductwork so after a 10 shot group I can stick my index finger in the hole but only to the 1st joint. I need to clean it but I'm afraid to. LOL!. Hope your's shot better!