• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII FV-SR questions..

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
Looking for a new 22 i can turn into a trainer. Are these rifles very accutate out of the box. Are the barrels considered "bull or heavy" comparing them to the ruger 10/22 target models. Is there any difference between this rifle and the TR model. Are you able to put a taticool stock on the FV-SR model and does anyone have any general feedback on the rifle. I am either going to pick up one of these or or a TR model or a 10/22 with a .920 barrel.

Re: Savage MKII FV-SR questions..

Looking for a new 22 i can turn into a trainer. Are these rifles very accutate out of the box <span style="color: #FF0000">yes</span> Are the barrels considered "bull or heavy" comparing them to the ruger 10/22 target models <span style="color: #FF0000">smaller diameter than a 10/22 bull they are a straight barrel aprox .8"</span> Is there any difference between this rifle and the TR model <span style="color: #FF0000">look at the spec sheet on savage's website</span> Are you able to put a taticool stock on the FV-SR model<span style="color: #FF0000"> yes</span> and does anyone have any general feedback on the rifle <span style="color: #FF0000">use the search engine or google</span> I am either going to pick up one of these or or a TR model or a 10/22 with a .920 barrel.

Yes they are very accurate out of the box but the accu-trigger allows for a little tuning. Some guys are even swapping the spring for a 10FP spring which is 2 coil shorter.

As 1shot2kill said I don't think they're quite as big as a 10/22 bull barrel but close.

The TR's have a 22" barrel, the FV-SR has a 16.5" threaded barrel. The FV has an 'el cheapo', but lightweight, plastic stock and the TR has a slight variation of the Tacticool stock. The tacticool stock has a raised comb.

Yes you can, and many people do, put the the tacticool stock on the FV-SR. In fact I'm waiting on mine, should have it Wednesday. You'll need a new trigger guard and bottom metal. The thicker bottom metals like DIP allow you to torque the action down a bit whereas the OE metal is pretty flimsy. I didn't think it'd be a big deal but the OE metal truly is pretty flimsy!

Generally most people really like these rifles, especially the FV-SR as a suppressor host, myself included. Tough to beat for the price, but if you don't mind spending a little more the CZ452/453 are said to be excellent choices. Check out RFC for more in depth info on the Savage MKII's.

They are decent rifles out of the box, and fairly easy to upgrade if your so inclined. Be aware that the DIP bottom metal does not fit the factory stock very well. The factory bottom metal has a slight radius that matches a radius on the stock, so if your gonna use it you'll have to inlet the stock for it to fit properly.

Be aware also that there seem to be a couple of versions of this rifle floating around. A true FV-SR (Savage part #28702) has a fluted barrel, a larger bolt knob, and the scope rail. I have seen some listed online as the same firearm, but didn't include the barrel fluting or the large bolt knob. I don't know if this was a variation made by Savage or a mistake on the seller's part, but I have seen the same mistake several times. Just thought I'd point it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EvoTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be aware also that there seem to be a couple of versions of this rifle floating around. A true FV-SR (Savage part #28702) has a fluted barrel, a larger bolt knob, and the scope rail. I have seen some listed online as the same firearm, but didn't include the barrel fluting or the large bolt knob. I don't know if this was a variation made by Savage or a mistake on the seller's part, but I have seen the same mistake several times. Just thought I'd point it out. </div></div>

The one you describe is the original FV-SR, made specifically for Lipsey's. The regularly produced, current FV-SR #28702 has the larger bolt knob and fluted barrel.

I have a tr. had it cut down and threaded. The fv-sr has had two versions. Not sure why. They are great trainers. I sent mine to Scott Null at savagegunsmithing.com and had a great experience. it's the one on the left. Shoots moa at 100 with wolf match extra. Crap pics, sorry.
54ac4862.jpg

I love mine. I kept the crappy stock and just spiffed it up a little. I epoxied some stainless steel bolts into the front end and stock well to stiffen and heavy up the gun as well as added some stock spacers to the back to make it the same lop as my 10PC. Gave it a paint job and its a pretty awesome trainer for the price. Can and Weaver 3-10 mil/mil from midway make for some hella fun range time.

11lpzkg.jpg

i hope im doing this right ,im new,i have a sav,mark 11 looking for a scope .200 to 250 dollars .i dont like red dot.crosshair is good.i want something that will hold up in the field .shtf time .i looking for something that will hold up to the cold,fog,rain.something that will take a beaten if need be.can anyone help.thanks fridley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope that my limited capacity to convey a message in English will not label me a foreigner or retard with my first post. Ya see, I'm new and clearly a foreigner or retard or both. I have a Savage Mark II in the deadly 22 long rifle rimfire of death and wish to put an ultra deadly optic on there for say $200 to $250 because, hey, a scope should never be more than the gun. Not a big fan of red dot sights even though I'm not going to hit anything past 100 yards. It's just that crosshair reticles are deadly, deadly accurate in spite of the fact that I'm only shooting 100 yards at best. But anyway, I want something that will hold up to hard field craft when shit hits the fan (December 2012). It needs to be impervious to Martian winters, Venus summers and Jupiter, well, anytime of the year on Jupiter. You know something that can't be destroyed even if it's sitting epicenter of a North Korean missile attack or if struck by a comet. I need help. Thank you, Fridley </div></div>

I think you should get a Super Sniper from SWFA. Get the 20X because you can never have enough magnification either.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P502.aspx

Actually, this isn't a bad little scope either. Although, 10x is too much, too.

http://www.samplelist.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P55249.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Porter24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a new 22 i can turn into a trainer. Are these rifles very accutate out of the box. Are the barrels considered "bull or heavy" comparing them to the ruger 10/22 target models. Is there any difference between this rifle and the TR model. Are you able to put a taticool stock on the FV-SR model and does anyone have any general feedback on the rifle. I am either going to pick up one of these or or a TR model or a 10/22 with a .920 barrel.
</div></div>

You might want to look at the CZ 452 that Manners is or soon will be producing a nice stock for. I think that's the direction I'm leaning. Thought about the FV-SR but, I'm really liking the CZ the more I think about it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280791280

http://mannersstocks.com/mcs-news-announcements/506/#more-506

you did a great job rewriting that ,you should be working for tv sit com,thanks

thanks for the info .if i can put another 100.to my 250 .would i get closer to what i want in the field ,thanks fridley

thank you .have you ever heard about this one ,if so what you think nikon prostaff target efr 3x9x40 ao.just got home from the gun shop .talking to a guy there. hes thought maybe this .what you think.thanks,, fridley

It's probably fine. I prefer anything with a ranging or hold-over reticle than straight duplex. If you're going to have caps over your turrets, then a hold ever reticle becomes very handy. With the Super Sniper, you get both a ranging reticle and easy to adjust exposed turrets. They both focus 10 meters so there's no advantage with the Nikon in that regard. You do get 3x with the Nikon which is handy. But you get 2x with the Burris and it has holdovers for distances to 150 yards.

The Nikon is not rugged and neither is the Burris. The Super Sniper is as rugged as it gets for $300.

after studing this i believe will be the one.awfa -ss 6x42.thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my stock, but still plan to paint it OD green and pillar bed it.

SavageMKIITacticoolblk2.jpg

SavageMKIITacticoolblk1.jpg
</div></div>

Did it drop right in. What's the accuracy like?

another question what is a good night vision scope for 300.00 to 350.00 to fit on my sav mark 11 ,,,thanks mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Porter24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did it drop right in. What's the accuracy like? </div></div>

Yes, it dropped right in, no fitting required.

However, even my "amateur precision-shooter" eye can see that there is room for improvement. It is not made of a dense hardwood so you can only torque it down but so much. Therefore I feel it will really benefit from some pillars to give it more solid footing.

I'll be shooting it this weekend, so no idea on accuracy with new stock yet.

I'd love to see what the stock does for your group sizes too. I'm not overly impressed with mine in the factory stock, and I'm considering the Boyd's as well. Give us a range report when you can.

I'm having a little trouble making my own pillars with my very limited tools(basic hand tools, small drill press, cordless drill, dremel). Further complicating the matter is the odd thread sizes.

In case anyone is looking for replacement screws, the bosses are threaded 1/4-32 and the action screws are 12-32. Neither of which could I find ANYWHERE. I searched Mcmaster, Grainer, google, ebay, big box and small town hardware stores. My local mom & pop hardware store has a great selection of small and odd parts but no luck with these screws. DIP does sell 1" action screws with a torx head for $5/pr and I may go that route.
If anyone knows where to find some please let me know!

The 'softness' of the tacticool stock can't be overstated. I have one from my TR and am not a big fan of it other than the looks. I purchased a Boyd's thumbhole stock to replace the plastic one on my FV-SR and couldn't be happier. It certainly isn't as cool but the overall quality is far superior. I hope that Boyds will start using the same laminate in the Tacticool as they do for the other stocks as I will certainly buy a couple. The various color options would be very nice as well.

My brand new FV-SR isn't accurate at all. Best (10) shot 50 yds. groups so far have been around 2" with CCI Mini-Mags or CCI Stingers. Eveything else is 4"-5" groups with several brands of Winchester being measured in feet! Yes, you read it right.

I'm disappointed to say the least. I have a pre-Accutrigger Mk2 BV and there are several brands of ammo where I can easily get (10) shot groups that measure 0.5" at 50 yds. Noteably, Federal 710 and Federal 510. Both of those shot miserably in the FV-SR much to my surprise.

I'm thinking of returning it to Savage and asking for a replacement. If this is their "Definition of Accuracy" then I'm not interested.

I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with your rifle considering the huge spreads you're getting across different types of ammo(not the ammo) and what you get out of a similar rifle(not the shooter).

Maybe you got one of the rifles missing rifling in a portion of the barrel. Have you checked the fit of the stock to the action? Checked action screws? Checked scope rings and base? Let's hope it's one of these little things and not the rifling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with your rifle considering the huge spreads you're getting across different types of ammo(not the ammo) and what you get out of a similar rifle(not the shooter).

Maybe you got one of the rifles missing rifling in a portion of the barrel. Have you checked the fit of the stock to the action? Checked action screws? Checked scope rings and base? Let's hope it's one of these little things and not the rifling. </div></div>

I made sure the action screws were tight and I checked the scope, rings and bases. In fact, I simply put the scope, rings and bases from my Mk2 BV on the FV-SR in an attempt to compare both rifles using the same optics.

I've heard many others claim decent accuracy with the FV-SR and those claims are consistent with the experience I have had with my other Mk2 BV.

At this point, I'm thinking there is something seriously wrong with the rifle itself. With some Winchester ammo I can literally see the bullets deviate from a strait flight path like a golfer would notice a hook or a slice.

Before I contact Savage, I'm going to swap the plastic POS stock out for the one on my Mk2 BV in an attempt to eliminate one last variable. If it indeed is an issue with the stock, I'll buy a Boyd's stock to replace it. I was going to replace it at a future point anyway.

If it's a problem with the barrel (as I suspect) I'll definitely have it sent back for warranty repair/replacement. I hear Savage is usually pretty good to deal with regarding warranty situatuions but they tend to take a while to get the rifle back.

Check the rifeling. My TR was delivered with a smooth spot I'm my barrel and it has horrible groups. The barrel was replaced

I had the same problem with my fvsr to begin with. I was getting between 3-5 inch groups at 50. After about 1500 rounds and I changed to nothing but CCI sv ammo, Boyd's laminate stock, dip bottom metal and vortex scope, it's shooting Lights Out! .300-.500 at 50yds. At first I was shooting sooooo many different types of ammo trying to figure out what works when my friend suggested sticking with one type to see what happens. There is a big difference between waxed and greased and so on. There are a lot of threads on here about the subject of 22 accuracy out of the savage. Good luck on your findings and shoot the shit out of that barrel for a bit to see what happens. Practice on form and follow through in the mean time and don't get discouraged.

Figured out the pillars. My first attempt at pillar bed is completed but I'm not happy so I'm going to try to build up a couple areas a little more. I've taken a few pics so I'll post them when it's done.

My issue is that Boyds opens up the inlet too much so it's a little tricky to get good build up without using the bottom metal which would create a stress point and defeat the purpose of bedding.

I placed one on back order yesterday and would love to see some good pics of it bedded in the tacticool.

Wonder how long it will take to get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figured out the pillars. My first attempt at pillar bed is completed but I'm not happy so I'm going to try to build up a couple areas a little more. I've taken a few pics so I'll post them when it's done. </div></div>

:popcorn:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with your rifle considering the huge spreads you're getting across different types of ammo(not the ammo) and what you get out of a similar rifle(not the shooter).

Maybe you got one of the rifles missing rifling in a portion of the barrel. Have you checked the fit of the stock to the action? Checked action screws? Checked scope rings and base? Let's hope it's one of these little things and not the rifling. </div></div>

How many riflings should it have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerz_Subbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say it sounds like there's something wrong with your rifle considering the huge spreads you're getting across different types of ammo(not the ammo) and what you get out of a similar rifle(not the shooter).

How many riflings should it have?

</div></div>
Some rifles, mainly TR's IIRC, had short sections in the bore that were smooth and not rifled. You should be able to look down the barrel with a borelight, or very carefully with a flashlight or in sunlight, and see whether there is uniform rifling the entire length of the bore.

I recently purchased the FVSR, and I love it. When you add the Tacticool stock to it, a trigger guard is also required. The Tacticool comes with a fairly thin floor plate, but I was able to securely tighten the floor plate screws without any issues. When ordering from Boyd's, do not purchase the $3-$4.00 set of action screws that they say are "required" for the Savage MKII. They don't fit. When upgrading to the Tacticool, go to ACE Hardware or some place like it and look for 2 <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">button head screws sized in metric #5</span></span>. I can't recall the length, but only slightly longer than the stock screws. I think I spent about 80 cents on the proper hardware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nathan64D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased the FVSR, and I love it. When you add the Tacticool stock to it, a trigger guard is also required. The Tacticool comes with a fairly thin floor plate, but I was able to securely tighten the floor plate screws without any issues. When ordering from Boyd's, do not purchase the $3-$4.00 set of action screws that they say are "required" for the Savage MKII. They don't fit. When upgrading to the Tacticool, go to ACE Hardware or some place like it and look for 2 <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">button head screws sized in metric #5</span></span>. I can't recall the length, but only slightly longer than the stock screws. I think I spent about 80 cents on the proper hardware.</div></div>

That would be great news if they switched to M5 from that oddball 10-32 NEF thread! When you say the Boyds screws didn't fit, were they not long enough or would they not thread in?

PM inbound for serial comparison.