• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII FV SR

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    Question do I spend the money on a stock and bottom plate or do I sell it and start over with a different rifle? Looking at the Tikka and or the Ruger Precision. Want a rifle I can shoot at 50 and 100 yards with good accuracy. Would love some thing that will shoot .5 MOA.

Question do I spend the money on a stock and bottom plate or do I sell it and start over with a different rifle? Looking at the Tikka and or the Ruger Precision. Want a rifle I can shoot at 50 and 100 yards with good accuracy. Would love some thing that will shoot .5 MOA.

I just put mine in Boyd’s stock and sent it off here to be accurized. http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/rimfire_rifles.html

I’ve never used him before but have heard great things. Hopefully I’ll have a report in a couple weeks.

@cro789

Look up @Topstrap responses on how well savages respond to a setback of the existing barrel. If you are adamant that you want to switch horses to a Ruger or a T1x, I would go T1x every time price difference vs potential is a no brainer.

My mkii will out shoot my rpr all day long. Only upgrade is boyds stock and bottom metal. Use an athlon midas tac on it. Favorite rimfire rifle by far.

Reactions: PAYDIRT and WYO09
    Ok which Boyd stock are you using? also where can I find Topstraps response?

My mkii will out shoot my rpr all day long. Only upgrade is boyds stock and bottom metal. Use an athlon midas tac on it. Favorite rimfire rifle by far.
    Plus one on this. Cheap and very accurate rifle.

Good luck finding a .22 that will shoot .5moa consistently at 100

Savages are decent...... at 100 they’ll average around 1.5-2.5 Moa

Honestly though you’ll be outshooting it in short order

I was shooting a modified mk2 for 50’ indoor when I was shooting NCAA......once I started shooting 100yds regularly, it lasted me less than a season

Reactions: gconnoyer
    I put mine in a Boyd's pro Varmint and upgraded the bottom metal. Best I can get it to consistently shoot at 100 is 2".

Lucked into a deal on a CZ 455 varmint trainer, shoots same ammo 1-1/4" at 100.

Yours might get better results than mine, hard to tell until you start going down the rabbit hole.

Nephews MK II will out shoot my CZ 455.

I think any given rimfire could potentionally outshoot any other given rimfire. A lot of it is the luck of the draw. My problem with the MK II platform is if you aren't immediately lucky on the draw, you have to have it smithed. With the CZ 455 platform, there are multiple drop in barrel options, including Lilja. I really like how my MK II handles right out of the box, and I can consistently shoot sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards with mid grade ammo (Eley Target rifle, SK Standard plus), but it will not consistently shoot under 2" at 100 yards. My purpose for the rifle is NRL22, 2" is fairly unforgiving at 100 yards.

I've looked very hard at the Tikka and Ruger Precision over the last 2 months. I have friends who have both. I think the Tikka is a very fine rifle, but I did not go that route because of the current lack of after market options. I had been very close to purchasing the Ruger multiple times. My hang up with the Ruger is they sometimes need tweaking (plenty of info on that on the forum here). I lucked into a sweetheart deal on a CZ 455 Varmint Trainer. What I really like about this is it closely mirrors the ergonomics of my Bighorn since they're both wearing the same Manners stock.

But CZ really dropped the ball on the 457, because the 455 stuff doesn't fit, and it's a shame that Fedderson doesn't make a CZ barrel anymore. I just cringe at the thought of giving $500 for a Lilja but it's the only option right now. My 455 is so temp sensitive, our last NRL match it was cold and the CZ was helpless at 100, very disappointing. It's a 455 Varmint, 419 rail, 3-15 SWFA, Seekins rings and I was shooting cci sv. Nephews MK II with a Nikon p-223 shooting same ammo just stomped the CZ. And it wasn't the shooter, I shot both rifles the day before and the MK grilled the CZ. Long story short I should have dove in and got a Vudoo.

But CZ really dropped the ball on the 457, because the 455 stuff doesn't fit, and it's a shame that Fedderson doesn't make a CZ barrel anymore. I just cringe at the thought of giving $500 for a Lilja but it's the only option right now. My 455 is so temp sensitive, our last NRL match it was cold and the CZ was helpless at 100, very disappointing. It's a 455 Varmint, 419 rail, 3-15 SWFA, Seekins rings and I was shooting cci sv. Nephews MK II with a Nikon p-223 shooting same ammo just stomped the CZ. And it wasn't the shooter, I shot both rifles the day before and the MK grilled the CZ. Long story short I should have dove in and got a Vudoo.
    I agree on the ball dropping with the 457 not sharing the 455 foot print.

Have you tried another ammo in your CZ? My Savage shoots CCI SV 2.5"-3" at 100. In my very limited experience with precision 22lr, a given ammo and a given lot can make a tremendous amount of difference in performance.

I've played with ammo a little, but if it's cold or dirty I'd have a better chance throwing rocks. I'm hanging out hoping someone makes a barrel other than Lilja.

I've played with ammo a little, but if it's cold or dirty I'd have a better chance throwing rocks. I'm hanging out hoping someone makes a barrel other than Lilja.
    MPA is coming out with an option and WhistlePig is making one. My hesitation with WP is they are lightweight (aluminum sleeved barrels like a TacSol) and I want my rig to be heavier. I think the WP's are probably more accurate on average than factory barrels. If a Lilja was $300 for what I wanted instead of closer to $500 I'd be all over one.

this is my MK2 that i ran for a while

Untitled.png

• Richards microfit stock with anschutz rail
    • converted to single shot
    • custom pic to 11mm rail
    • lapped barrel
    • welded action pillars

shot well enough, won some matches with it....ended up replacing it with an anschutz 2013 when i had the means.

MPA is coming out with an option and WhistlePig is making one. My hesitation with WP is they are lightweight (aluminum sleeved barrels like a TacSol) and I want my rig to be heavier. I think the WP's are probably more accurate on average than factory barrels. If a Lilja was $300 for what I wanted instead of closer to $500 I'd be all over one.
    Same here, just not interested in a WP. I might have to go the Lilja route,especially if the MPA deal doesn't happen and it just drags on with everyone talking about it I'll buy the Lilja on principle.

My Sav Mkii is the rifle that I use for PRS matches. For that purpose, I mounted a 6-26x FFP optic which is not the best choice for bench rest shooting tiny groups at maximum magnification since the recticle will zoom in with the image making it harder to aim precisely. Even with that handicap it shoots pretty good. I noticed that it shoots 100y groups almost as small as its 50y groups in part because of the scope. At 100y it is grouping about 1" or slightly less with Wolf match extra. I tested a lot of ammo and it likes the Wolf and Lapua/SK family of ammo as good as any. It will hit 6" plates at 200y every shot assuming you have your dope dialed in. It is closer to a 1MOA rifle than a 1/2MOA in my opinion. Mine came in the laminated thumbhole stock which is from Boyds as far as I know. I put another Mkii in 17M2 into an identical Boyds stock. Both shoot well. I don't have many pics to share but one is a series of 50y 5-shot groups. I have a CZ American that is slightly more accurate but I have not tested it that much. I have some older match grade rifles from Remington and Winchester and Vostok which will all out shoot it but most of them are also single shots and lack the versatility to shoot PRS or be a good hunter. The Savage can do both well. If I were starting over, I would look hard at the CZ457 MTR or an Anschutz MPR or a Sako Quad. Or just bite the bullet and get a Vudoo. I think any of those would shoot better but all of them would also cost more. I paid $199 for the Savage as a lightly used rifle. It would have cost about $399-425 at the time new. A year later I paid $300 for the Mkii in 17 Mach2 but it is harder to find and cost a little more.

Attachments

• MkII BFV.jpg
      MkII BFV.jpg
      453.6 KB · Views: 166
    • Mkii 6x5 50y.jpg
      Mkii 6x5 50y.jpg
      457.6 KB · Views: 126
    Reactions: nakoa01
    I love my FVSR. It is a tack driver at 50 yds, but opens up a lot at 100 just using cheap CCI SV.

I have the new B22 fv-sr. Itll shoot 1/2” at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity. Pretty decent with $4.99 ammo and plastic stock. Trigger sucks. Heavy. I took a plastic sleeve out of the stock to ensure its free floated. But for $300 its a lot of fun.

Anyone notice that with any ammo above sub sonic the worse it they shoot? Is this cause the lead isnt perfect and is less stable the harder its pushed?

Ep1985,

Time of flight allows wind to have more effect on bullets as the range increases.

anthonylapoint,

As the bullet transitions into transonic, it will cause instability in flight. That's why 22LR match ammo is subsonic.

Ep1985,

Time of flight allows wind to have more effect on bullets as the range increases.

anthonylapoint,

As the bullet transitions into transonic, it will cause instability in flight. That's why 22LR match ammo is subsonic.
    Shooting CCi Stinger ammo, the gun shoots like shit. Stingers goes at 1670 fps. Even at close range they group like absolute shit. Even at 50 yards it still going 1400 fps.

Shooting CCi Stinger ammo, the gun shoots like shit. Stingers goes at 1670 fps. Even at close range they group like absolute shit. Even at 50 yards it still going 1400 fps.
    it really depends on the gun.....some guns like one type of ammo......other guns like a different.

generally if its subsonic ammo.....its intended for "match" use....and is going to be held to a tighter tolerance than something like CCI stinger, which is primarily intended for plinking and rodents.

it really depends on the gun.....some guns like one type of ammo......other guns like a different.

generally if its subsonic ammo.....its intended for "match" use....and is going to be held to a tighter tolerance than something like CCI stinger, which is primarily intended for plinking and rodents.
    Interesting. The federal match i have is at 1080 fps, just above the barrier, and shoots like garbage as well. I always thought it to be the lead just wasnt up to the task of being pushed so hard. Didnt think of the transition back through.

Back to original thread...how much improvement are people seeing with the boyds tactical?

First, what ammo are you shooting? What accuracy are you getting? If your gun is not showing some accuracy, I don't think a new stock is going to help. If the accruacy it hit or miss, then bedding or new stock may be a option. I have had a Tikka T1X for a month. It is shooting great. It is shooting .5 moa out to 150yds with Wolf Match Extra and SK Match Rifle, and Wolf MT and SK Std + a close second.

Mark

Last edited:
    Reactions: cro789
    The federal match i have is at 1080 fps, just above the barrier, and shoots like garbage as well.

Ammo rated 1080 FPS should be below the speed of sound. As the temperature decreases, the bullet speed also decreases... but not as quickly as the decrease in the speed of sound. So in cold weather 22LR rated at 1080 FPS may crack breaking the sound barrier.

Ammo rated 1080 FPS should be below the speed of sound. As the temperature decreases, the bullet speed also decreases... but not as quickly as the decrease in the speed of sound. So in cold weather 22LR rated at 1080 FPS may crack breaking the sound barrier.
    Yeah. Right now it is. Ill try it again this summer

Try some inexpensive 22LR ammo. Both CCI Standard Velocity and Aguila Standard Velocity work well in my Mark II and B22 FV-SR rifles.

One of the things I'm currently testing is if I can squeeze a little more accuracy out of the CCI SV:

100CCIsvEPS.JPG

Those 100 rounds have had an EPS tip, like the Eley tip, added using a Neal Waltz die and a Lee hand press. Beside adding the tip, the die resizes the diameter of the bullet so that it's fitting tighter into the chamber. From my testing so far, only a small amount of adjustment is required on CCI SV to add accuracy. I believe that the small accuracy increases seen to date have nothing to do with the shape of the tip of the bullet, but instead are attributed to resizing the bullet getting it from .222 to .225 diameter which is the same as Eley bullets. Please note that the accuracy increases I'm seeing are nominal at best. In day-to-day shooting it wouldn't make a difference. But when I'm shooting NRL22 matches, every little advantage I can get without breaking the bank helps.

By the way, the closest 10 rounds I used a plain old paper towel to wipe the excess waxy lube away before taking a quick picture.

Even without modification, CCI SV shoots well from my FV-SRs.