• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAVAGE MKII heavy vs. sporter barrel

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
I had the oppurtunity for great weather conditions today for rimfire shooting, so I did a little comparison between a Savage MKII BV (heavy barrel) and a Savage MKII F (sporter / reg. barrel).

Both rifles were shot off a bipod and rear bag, optic set on 14x. In order to see how each handled different ammo I used Aguila Golden Eagle Match Rifle, Wolf Match Target, CCI Blazer, and Federal Bulk Pack. The barrel of both rifles were dry swabbed until the patch ran clean. The trigger in the BV is at 1lb and has a wood laminate stock, the trigger in the F is at 2lbs 10 oz and has a synthetic stock. Both barrels are freefloated (a good 1/8" or more from the stock) all the way back to the receiver.

Tempurature 55deg F, no measurable wind, cloudy, 60% humidity. Size of bull at 50 is 1", at 100 the bull is 1.5".

I first measured the barrels from muzzle to where the barrels meet the receiver, both measured at 19 13/16" (just over 19 3/4"). Savage has them both listed at 21", they must be including the chamber area inside the receiver.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">BV model</span></span>
mkiibvlength-Copy.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">F model</span></span>
mkiifvlength-Copy.jpg

The taped hits were sighters to get the groups in the general area of the bull. Distances was 50 and 100 yards, 5 round groups. A ten round group may have produced more dramatic results as to let the barrels "settle in" more to the ammo change, but I only had 20 rounds of Wolf MT ammo cover shooting each barrel at each distance. I did notice that even the second shot was "off" from the final three in just about every group, either barrel. Again, the barrel was dry swabbed between ammo changes. NOTE: the targets are mislabeled, the "FV" should read "F" as it is the sporter / regular barrel.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">50 yards</span></span>
50yaguilaandwolf.jpg

50ydblazerandfedbulk.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 yards</span></span>
100ydaguilaandwolf.jpg

100ydblazerandfedbulk.jpg

My impressions where that the heavy barrel handled the Match and High Velocity ammo 1st shot out of a "clean" barrel better than the F model sporter barrel at both 50 and 100 yards, and generally the heavy barrel had better groups with both Match and High Velocity ammo, at both distances.

Re: SAVAGE MKII heavy vs. sporter barrel

Also as I'm considering cutting back the barrel on the F model to 18" (16.75" from front of receiver to muzzle), the above post will help tie in if performance is enhanced by the shorter barrel in a .22lr.

Shortening the barrel will not happen until after the end of the smallbore silhouette season in late October.

But when it is shortened, measurements will be taken on FPS and group size at 50 and 100 yards for every inch lost. Then the shorter sporter barrel will be shot against the 20" heavy barrel to see if the shorter length stiffened the barrel any more, or any performance differences are made, again using Match and High Velocity ammo.

Hi TP,

Thanks for the great post. When I purchased my rifle I was initially choosing between the F and FV models so I'm sure its a fairly common question. Looking forward to seeing the results for shortening of the barrels too.

How much of the difference do think is down to the barrel contour? You mentioned that the triggers were different and its pretty common knowledge that the Synthetic stock isn't great as far as flexing and free floating goes. Just wondering how much of the accuracy difference is down to these things rather than the barrel contour.

Do you think the 1st shot of each group on the FV is being caused by some sort of cold bore issue? There definitely looks to be something going on!

Cheers,
Shaz

Very interesting. Some of my preconceptions may appear to be in the ashes.

Barrel length is measured from the bolt face forward.

Greg

Your findings are the same as mine with the cold bore shots of my (Marlin 925 -vs- MKII FVT). The cold bore shot from the Marlin 925 being way to erratic, as compared to the MKII FVT's cold bore shot.

If we're shooting at metal spinners out to 100 yards, the issue doesn't really show up to bad on the 3.5" spinner, but the 2.5" spinner is a different story.

On paper this can really wreck your score from that distance as well as from 50 yards, and out to the A21 200 yard target if we don't 'warm' up the barrel with some shots.

It would really wreck our scores on the new SH tactical target where a cold bore shot is required.

Interesting stuff Top Predator. I'll be looking forward to your results should you cut your barrel back.

I don't think my cold bore shots from my 17HMRs are that erratic. I have both FSS and FVSS models. Both have Accutriggers, however for some reason the FSS model seemed to just be a tad bit smoother and I've always got better groupings (might just be me) from my FSS.

Good information TP. I'll be interested to know what happens when you cut the barrel off.
I have a MKII F, it was my first Savage MK series rifle. Many times I shot better with it than my FV out to 150 but the FV would always win beyond that.Don't know why really, probably the loose nut behind the stock. The F is a great turtle hunting rifle & it, along with my Remmy 597 accounted for many kills at my small ponds this summer.

i definately will not be cutting the "F" model back till late october / early november due to smallbore silhoutte season (i use it for hunter class) and some squirrel season hunting will occupy some time.

i would've really liked to compare a same material stocked rifle and trigger to remove those variances, but i used what i have in the safe. but i think the biggest reason for the first (and in some instances the second) shot going haywire in the groups is the swabbing of the barrel as compared to the coldbore shot. i wanted to start as much to both being a "virgin" barrel as i could at the range without having any type of fouling, previous bullet lube, or solvents in it. next time around when it's shorter i'll get some more wolf ammo to do 10 round groups.

i hope "the law" measures from the bolt face back also. another reason why i took pictures, so i document what is measured and advertised by the maunfacturer before i start cutting, and obviously will be taking more pictures through the process to cover myself.

i think i'm GTG legally down to 16" barrel and the rifle being 26" or longer to officially be called a rifle.

of the recent intrest in barrel length and performance, i'm pretty sure 18" will as low as i'm going. i can always remove, but can't add on.

for now, i'm pretty convinced (as the golden rule of rifles dictate) that the heavy barrel is better over a regular barrel of the same length for groups and consistancy using both match and high velocities at 50 and 100 yards.

just curious as hell if the shorter regular barrel will improve performance enough to be better than a longer regular barrel, or even equal a heavy barrel except with out the added weight.

i also have to edit the original post, as both barrels are absolutely free floated (a good 1/8" or more) from the edge of the sotock, all the way back to the receiver.

Thanks for the clarification TP, I'm looking forward to the results of the shorter barrel.

Cheers,
Shaz

This is really an excellent post, Top Predator. I will really look forward to your findings as to shortening the sporter barrel.

Great study! I'm new to the Hide, I'm really impressed to see people take the initiative to learn their rifles like this.

My experience has been that on average, a heavy barrel .22 will shoot better than a sporter weight, both in cold bore and grouping. However, it seems that there are certain sporters that will really put them in tight, like my Kimber .22 Hunter. Cold bore from the Kimber is pretty consistent as long as I don't overclean it.