• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MkII Range Report

Andrew Blubaugh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2003
Ohio
Logged in a 3rd day with my Savage MkII and am really starting to like it.
100_2134.jpg

The stock is basic plastic though heavy duty enough I don't notice any flex when I load the bipod or utilize a loop sling. Though I do not like shooting from the prone with this stock. Definitely not prone friendly, I feel like I barely get the stock in my shoulder and I barely have any cheek weld. I plan on using a stock pack and build up a comb with some closed cell foam in the future.

For an out of the box 22 the bolt is very smooth and does not offer a lot of slop. From most positions I find the safety a bit awkward to manipulate.

The rifle came with the accu-trigger and this was not a huge selling point with me. I never understood the "need" for an accutrigger but after training with it I don't see it necessarily as a bad or good thing. I guess I am neutral on it though I am happy with how the trigger breaks.

The magazine on most weapon systems tend to be the weak link, this one is no different. I really wish companies would spend more time and effort on building a good magazine. More on this later.

The barrel is 16 inches and threaded. I am in the process of buying a Gemtech Outback II specifically for this and my Ruger MkII. I don't think the barrel is anything too special but considering the accuracy I am seeing Savage must be doing something right.

I researched bases pretty hard and went with Evolution Gun Works (EGW) 20MOA Tactical Picatinny Mount ($39.99). Something I found interesting it not all MkII rifles are the same. To get the right base you need to measure the ejection port. Mine for instance is 1 5/8 inch and takes the Model 93 mount and not the typical MkII mount. The mount arrived and I was pleased with how it fit and the machining. I did not measure anything on the mount but it seems to be machined very accurate as far as the pic rails and holes.

The rings are Leupold Mk 4.... They were laying around the workshop and were the lowest rings I own. Paired up with some Delrin ring reducers (30mm to 1inch), again they were laying around.

The optic was something I put a lot of thought into. I am a firm believer of buy once, cry once. I wanted a solid optic, 3-10, around 40mm, mildot reticle that I could use on most of the rifles I own as a back up if need be. I considered several and it came down to the Super Sniper and the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical. I own a SS variable mil/mil and love it. Though I still questioned dropping that much money for a 22. After talking with Low Light he told me I wouldn't go wrong with the Weaver. So I paid $299 for a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway and really like it. I had one small hiccup with zeroing out the elevation but I think I have worked that out.

I'll post detailed pics later but one mod I did was drill the fore end of the stock and place two T-Nuts in a bed of Marine Tex and mounted a BT15 rail from Accushot. I did this so I can use an Atlas bipod and flush cup sling attachments. I plan on installing another flushcup near the toe of the stock and remove the swivel stud.

The rifle is zeroed at 50 yards and with most ammo will hold 1 inch groups or better. With 22's I get frustrated with ammo. It seems like each 22 likes certain ammo and hates others, my savage is no different. I was very surprised to find CCI minimag HV was accurate but I had numerous feeding issues. Primarily the last round of each magazine would fail to feed properly. CCIminimag has always been a go to ammo for most 22s I have owned. I thought for sure the magazine on my MkII was the problem but after trying several different types of ammo I realized it was the ammo and not the weapon. I logged over 300 rounds of various ammo and so far like Remington Thunderbolt the best which is funny since it is one of the least expensive I tried. I do have a few more ammo selections to test but I like knowing the Thunderbolt works so well, at least at 50 yards and in.

Today I finished up with a drill where I fired 5 round groups at 10 different 1 inch dots at 50 yards. After each group I got off the rifle, reloaded and started over again. Some of the misses are ammo and some are fundamentals but in the end I am very happy. I did a bunch more shooting at 25 and 50 from various positions but I think this target says a lot about the accuracy/potential of this rimfire.
100_2135.jpg

More to come.....

Re: Savage MkII Range Report

Nice. Here is mine. Gotta love Savages. It prints under 1/2" at 50 all day with Match grade ammo. Mine loves RWS and German Wolf. Weaver rings and Burris Timberline glass.

Savage.jpg

Hello Andrew,

I have the same rifle, base, and similar optic. Threaded the barrel and it wears a TAC65 can. Too much fun.

I had a buddy with the same rifle and he suggested wolf match. I ordered up a bunch of flavors and sure enough the wolf match and SK rifle match (both 40gr subsonic) were stupid accurate.

I'm told these are basically loaded on the same production lines.

Give it a try. Slightly more $$ but in every Savage MKII I've witnessed it is the way to go. Federal AM22 is a cheap alternative. Not as accurate and a not subsonic, but cheap.

Hope you're well.

DSMcG - Dave McGrath

IMHO, for the price of these MKII's they are very accurate. Mine likes the Eley Sport - though I expect it could do even better with the SK or Wolf,,, but I'm happy with what I'm getting out of mine at the range.
smile.gif

I've got the exact rifle as well, its been shooting best with remington sub-sonic and remington target. It shot the sub's at around 1/2" at 50. Havent tested the target's for groups but seem to be close to the same POI since i just use the rifle right now for rabbit hunting out to about 100yards. For a slightly better trigger you can polish the sear and remove 1/2 a coil from the springs inside. took all of about 45 min to do it all. Now its lighter and has less creap.

Woohoo an Atlas on savage rimfire... I thought I was crazy for having the same thing in mind
smile.gif
Just waiting on the gear to turn up

Nice rifle mate, glad you like her

How are you finding that weaver?

I have had two mkii's that have really liked the federal match stuff. I think it was 711B. In the economy ammo category both have liked federal lightning from walmart. Might want to give them a try if you haven't already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woohoo an Atlas on savage rimfire... I thought I was crazy for having the same thing in mind
smile.gif
Just waiting on the gear to turn up

Nice rifle mate, glad you like her

How are you finding that weaver? </div></div>

I have 2 Atlas bipods. I just bounce them from gun to gun as needed.

The weaver is really nice so far. I want to put it on a 308 and test it dialing back and forth between dope and see if it deviates much. The glass seems really clear to me, the reticle is accurate though I do find the eye relief a little specific, not much room to move with out getting some serious shadow.

I am not the original poster but it appears to me as though it is the mk II FV that has had the barrel cut down and threaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not the original poster but it appears to me as though it is the mk II FV that has had the barrel cut down and threaded. </div></div>

It is a Mk11 FVSR, it comes from the factory with the 16inch barrel and threaded.

You learn something new every day. Did you have to special order that one? I don't see it listed on their site.

I have the same gun (not threaded) and get similar results. It really likes the Wolf ammo.

The stock is too short - it's got to be a youth stock. I ended up adding over an inch to the butt with a limbsaver and a cheek pad helps too. It would definitely benefit from a bigger stock but for what I use it for it is good enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You learn something new every day. Did you have to special order that one? I don't see it listed on their site. </div></div>

Distributer exclusive, lipseys IIRC

I too think that the Savages are accurate! I have the 93 HB 17hmr...it'll really small groups at 50yds if I do my part...

I have the Mark II BV in .22LR and love it. Accurate and well built but didn't break the bank. I just picked up a Cub T for my daughter. She did well at the range last weekend for her first time shooting a firearm (has shot BB/pellet rifles previously). Honestly, I think I enjoyed shooting the Cub as much as she did. It seems to be a nice little rifle.

Nice write up cowboy_bravo.

You have me wanting to reconfigure my MK II into a trainer. Are you still happy with the Weaver scope?

This thread makes me wish my Wallis Forge was done now! Not that my wife will give it to me before Christmas. Damnit! Nice to see the MKIIs are shooting good! Can't wait to get my trainer done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice write up cowboy_bravo.

You have me wanting to reconfigure my MK II into a trainer. Are you still happy with the Weaver scope?
</div></div>

I am happy with the Weaver but I really have not tested it extensively. Time permitting I really want to mount it on a 223 or 308 and work the turrets and reticle a bit.

I was just curious, as I am debating about buying a Weaver scope for my 22 lr. Does Weaver say what yardage the parallax is set at?

I recieved my EGW 20 moa base today, it fits nicely on my MK II.

Thanks, Jack

Go to Midway USA and check there as they usually give the parallax setting in their discriptions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Midway USA and check there as they usually give the parallax setting in their discriptions. </div></div>
Tried that, only says "Parallax Adjustment: No"

Just looked at the paper work that came with the scope. It says the parallax is at 100 yards.