• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII Which One Is Better?

Re: Savage MKII Which One Is Better?

FV, heavy barrel, and has weaver scope mounts.

^ In the pics they both have heavy barrels?..

Atually I see they are using the same pic for both rifles. Just one says heavy and the other one doesn't.

I did some google pic searching online and I can see that the F isn't a heavy barrel. I'm a heavy barrel kinda guy so it looks like the FV would be my choice. Thanks for pointing that out. Able should get their pics right.

FV for sure. Mine shot lights out once I swaped out the junk stock.

The F stock isn't that great - you may want to look at the BTV or if you want tacticool then the TR.

If you want irons, get a FVT and a replacement stock from boyds, etc.

I second the FVT. You at least have the option of target peeps or mounting a scope. Target peeps can be enjoyable.

I opted for the FV because of the barrel contour and bases. I like the look and feel of the heavy barrel, but that's just me.

Yes, the stock is chintzy, but even with the factory stock mine will shoot 3/4" groups @ 100 yards on a calm day. Have a Mueller 4.5-14x40mm APT mounted on it as of today and it's giving me a lot of meaningful and enjoyable practice out to 300 yards now.

Keep us updated when the rifle arrives, 'eh?

-The Kid.

Love my FV it has always shot well since day one. Now that it's in the Boyd's tacticool stock I love it even more.

I have the F, FV & now a TR R. The FV has been my favorite, but I'm hoping the TR R will take its place. The MKII F is no slouch, but it isn't drilled for a rail & the barrel is the standard profile one. Shoots good though.

I have the FV and it's a shooter. Sub inch groups at 100 yards with it all day long with decent ammo (it really likes wolf match target). If I had it to do over again I'd get a model with a better stock. The comb is terrible and you can't get a cheekweld with it and see through the scope at the same time. Other than that I love my FV. I seems to never foul its barrel and keep hitting what I'm pointing it at.

BV.........the FV stock is the biggest piece of shit made, i didn't realize it until i put a TR stock on my FV.....and had to take it back off for paint/texture..and i put the FV back on just to go to the range. sitting on the bipod, i can LITERALLY move the barrel from touching one side of the channel to the other...without even moving the bipod feet, it's that flexible.

the bv stock isn't the best in the world, but it's light years ahead of hte fv stock for not much more.

I would look at the MARKII TR I picked one up and it is a tack driver even with the cheap Remington ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Privatepyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look at the MARKII TR I picked one up and it is a tack driver even with the cheap Remington ammo. </div></div>

Same, I love mine and it shoots great. The action felt kinda gritty out of the box. I polished it and put some dry graphite in the action and now it's smooth.

I have an early version of what would be available today as the MKII-F. Sporter barrel, no Accue-Trigger, and grooved for rimfire rings. As a trainer, I think it serves my needs admirably.

Personally, I think the accuracy in the .22LR comes largely from the cartridge itself, and that the various fulbore type bells and whistles have less meaning with the rimfire.

For instance, yes; a heavy barrel can help, but I don't think to the same degree it would with a fullbore rifle cartridge. So, on a bang-for-buck basis, I see such upgrades as returning less on the investment.

For my training purposes, I value consistency more than I do raw accuracy. For those same purposes, the MKII-F's sporter barrel delivers the consistency I seek without getting all hung up over the accuracy aspect.

Others are going to interpret 'best' differently from me, and they're right to do so. I'm just putting my views out there along with all the rest.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Privatepyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look at the MARKII TR I picked one up and it is a tack driver even with the cheap Remington ammo. </div></div>

Good to hear. I just ordered one this past weekend.
I have yet to see one in person, but have a feeling I'm going to be happy with it. Should be here Thursday.

What are you using for a scope on yours?