• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage model 10 fcp opinions

urmaker45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2013
wise,va
I was looking at the savage model 10 fcp with the fluted barrel and muzzel brake the only thing is I know I will have to change the stock for the money do you think its the best bet. Im looking for a flutted barrel and threaded so i can put a can on it . I am going with .223 .

Going with a Savage is a good thing. The 10FCP will serve you very well, as long as you have your basic skill set. About the only thing that I would do to the FCP, would be to drop it into a Manners. Put some good cash toward a good optic, put some good cash toward good ammo, and put ALOT of time into shooting and reloading, and you will be very pleased.

DK

and the one with the mcmillan stock guess that would be great so i wouldnt have to change stock

My first bolt rifle was a Savage 10FCP in the HS Precision. It was a great rifle, would shoot ragged holes at 100yrds with the $350 dollar falcon optics I had on it. I eventually upgraded the stock to an XLR chassis and got a Vortex Viper. You will not be dissapointed with it and if you ever decide you want to change the caliber you can swap the barrel out yourself. I had just changed mine to a .260 before I finally sold it. If you know you want a Manners or some other after market stock/chassis get the one in the cheapo plastic stock. If you are fine with a mcmillan or hs precision you can purchase one with the stock on it already and save some time waiting for a new stock.

For now is the Hs a good enough stock ?... what would I have to do change Cal to 223 just change barrel? I'm trying to find a decent enough of rifle to save Money for optics I currently have a rem 700 ltr but it's a department rifle and I want to start a build do stuff I want to rifle ..I've never went away from the 700 yes I'm the marksman for my srt team but never had my own ....This will not be used in duty

HS is a perfectly decent stock. Is it a Manners or McMillan, no but iit will work until you want something else. Kersten cheek piece and you are set. Dropped my 308 FCP-k into an Xlr and it is a tack driver. I log all my 100 yard groups and over the last 220 rounds averaging .51 MOA. And I am far from a great shooter. All with FGMM 168's and 175's. you won't regret the purchase. Cold bore always .5 MOA high and 1/8 MOA right. Very consistent.

I don't think the fcp with McMillan stock comes in .223 but that's a perfect excuse for getting one in 308, pulling the stock barrel to sell it, and slap on a shilen select match barrel on it in 223 :).

savage model 10 fcp opinions

The 10fcp is a fine rifle. I have owned 2 (first was. 10fp) and they both have shot .25 MOA out of the box with 168gr FGMM. My current 10fcp HS has the flutted and threaded 5r barrel. I will say that the palm swell on the HS stock takes a little getting used to but it's not too bad. You will however definitely want to add a cheek rest of some sort to the stock. I decided to add the KMW Loggerhead instead of the kydex style. It took about a week to install ( little here and there), but it came out super clean. Here are a few pictures ( I have since changes scopes, rings and added a brake): ATTACH]24209[/ATTACH] ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387430011.106411.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387429991.674085.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387429991.674085.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 37
djdilliodon is that all I have to do is switch barrel to make it .223? jlitalien that is a nice job on cheek rest looks clean I'll either do that or the ky Dex. Is the trigger on the savage good enough or does it need replaced or have it tuned

To convert a 10FCP 308 into a 223 you will need to change the barrel, the bolt head, and get the correct magazine. It is a very easy conversion. I have two 10FCP H-S Precision rifles, one I rebarreled with a 260 Remington Shilen barrel, the other is waiting for a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to arrive.

Steve B.

You can do a few more upgrades to make it perfect. Get the 1.5 lb target spring for the accutrigger. $5 at Gunshack. No brainer there. The regular spring is 3lbs to 6lbs. The target spring is 1.5 to 4. Also get the precision ground barrel nut and lug from Jim at Northland. They are nice and worth the $60 for the set. If your thinking of making a switch barrel then definately get the stock rifle in .223 then convert to other calibers. The .308 bolt head and magazines are easier to find in stock at Midway, Brownells and other places. My Savage sits in an XLR chassis with a Viper PST on it too. I have .308, .260 and a fast twist 22-250 barrel for it. I can swap barrels in 5 minutes and the 100 yard zeros between the three is no more than 1 MOA. It's a killer set up and deadly accurate. I shoot out to 1K with all three calibers. Nothing better than banging steel at 1/2 mile with a 22-250! Most don't believe me until I show them the case. :cool:

I've got the 10 FCP-SR currently in .308, its a pretty nice rifle, very accurate and really quite nice, my only real beef with it is the accustock, I find it to be very slick in the hands, and kinda cheapish. I'm getting 3/4 MOA out of it with FGGM 168's and I'm coming back into shooting after a long break(unfortunately)! I haven't tried any other types of ammo, or any handloads in it yet, but I'm sure it would shoot very impressively with the right load, and a better shooter. Nevertheless, I think I'm going to sell it rather than putting more money into it. Gonna go back to the Remington camp. I don't know if my blabbering on was helpful, but hopefully

I have the 10fcp hs precision, in .308. It is a solid .5 moa gun. It seems to shoot that with any 168 gr match I have put through it so far. Don't think you can go wrong with your choice. As others have said, put on a good base, rings and glass and you should be good to go.

mcmillan vs hsprecision? i doubt it matters, so long as the plastic stock finds its way into the trashcan. i would get the first one that becomes available to you and forget about it. i lucked into a barely used mcmillan for a good price right after i got my 10fc. looked cool, but it didn't really shoot any better. i finally got around to bedding it recently and holy shit, night and day. also had to bed the scope base because the rear of the reciever was .024" out of plane with the front. now that all this is sorted out, it shoots very well.

I have a 2002 10FP 260 and a 10 Predator Hunter Max .260 (which I believe is nearly the same rifle as the 10FCM).

Pro, the 10 PH Max has a far better stock, far better trigger, and I especially like its camo.

Con, the D/M just doesn't seem to like taking four rounds with the ease I believe it should.

Different, not equal, and I can't decide if it's a pro or a con; the barrel profile is slimmer than the 10FP's Savage Varmint Profile, seems to save .25lb.

Greg

Last edited:
I've got a 10fcp in an HS stock, I love it. I Put together on a budget using SS 10x HD, badger rings & rail, Harris 6-9. Rifle shoots .5 @100 for me and allowed me more money for ammo to get practicing. I would like to get new bottom metal for it though.