• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage Model 11 Bottom Metal

UpNorthAndy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
I've got a savage Model 11 with the bottom bolt release. I'm not a fan of the magazine that came with the gun, because the metal piece on the back of it that clips into the mag well seems to bend a bit after time and can allow the magazine to sit low enough that the bolt will slide over the top round in the mag. This has actually cost me a few coyotes just this year alone. I've figured out what I need to do to remedy the issue (slightly bend that metal piece to open it up) but it doesn't stay fixed for too terribly long.

I'm wanting to switch my bottom metal out to a setup that will accept the AI mags. I see that PTG makes a setup that will work. I'd like to hear from anyone that has used either the PTG setup, or any other manufacturers setup out there that works. Good, Bad, Ugly, I wanna hear it all!

Thanks,
Andy

I saw those CDI units and was considering one of those as well. Just not a big fan of the idea of sending my gun in to them to have them put it all together. From the looks of things there may be some extra parts needed for the bottom bolt release with the CDI, or if I did send my gun to them they could convert it to a top bolt release.

One side question on this: I've never dealt with sending a gun somewhere via the mail system. Anything special I'd have to do in order to get this done? Can it be as simple as just dropping it in a box, packaging it up well, and sending it?

One side question on this: I've never dealt with sending a gun somewhere via the mail system. Anything special I'd have to do in order to get this done? Can it be as simple as just dropping it in a box, packaging it up well, and sending it?

Yes. FedEx is what I use. USPS will ship them but they ask a million question. FedEx just asks if it has any ammo in the box and how fast you want it to get their. UPS will only do it Priority Overnight.

Ship it in a locked hard case if you can with your name and address inside it, but boxes work as well. If you do a hard case, don't opt for the handle tag since the freight guys will grab them. The tags are pretty tough but if it comes off, your rifle will end up at one of 2 recovery facilities. They will eventually get it back to you after they do what must be done to get the case open, but it would be a while.

Signature will be required on both ends. Insure it, of course.

UPS will ship long guns regular ground. They do it all the time. Handguns are required by law to be shipped overnight. You should take it to a UPS hub and not a store, most stores won't ship firearms. You as the owner of the firearm can ship it to an FFL.

UPS will ship long guns regular ground. They do it all the time. Handguns are required by law to be shipped overnight. You should take it to a UPS hub and not a store, most stores won't ship firearms. You as the owner of the firearm can ship it to an FFL.

You are correct. I just read the regs on their site. Guess I got the anti-2A help when I went there. They (UPS) do say "All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines" and "The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive "

I will still continue to use FedEx.

Get the CDI. You only need to send them your stock, I had my Manners drop shipped to them and it was plug and play. They had free inletting if you bought their bottom metal for awhile, not sure if they still do. For the bottom release, they send a little gizmo that you can jb weld to the bolt release to make it easier to get to. I never used it, it's not like I remove the bolt 5 times a day.

Thanks for the input guys, I've always wanted to put a gun on a chassis, and had been considering one of the boyds at-one stocks for this gun and the bottom metal, looks like i can get the cheaper xlr chassis and accomplish both tasks with the one chassis for close to the same price... I know the xlr will require me to buy a tube, stock and grip, but i can get those decently priced. Going to wait a bit to do this as I'm about to rebarrel the gun as soon as my faster twist barrel shows up, plus I need to go get a can ordered so maybe I'll be able to use it when coyote hides are primed up again next fall. I also like the idea of having a rail for my IR illuminator or red light to mount on without having to do any crazy rigging.

Reactions: MemphisMtnr
I have a CDI bottom metal conversion on a Model 10 bottom bolt release - works fine and quick turnaround. I just sent in the stock.

I would also consider an MDT chassis in the XLR price range. I have LSS and HS3s and like them both.

of note: The OEM stock makes better use of the tang safety in some situations. You loose some access/functionality with a pistol grip. If it's a hunting rifle, I'd keep the OEM stock. If it's not, you'll gain some rigidity and performance with an aluminum V-bed chassis.

This gun will be used both for hunting coyotes and also for some local shoots. There are some "varmint rifle" category shoots a couple hours away that I'd like to participate as long as I can get the faster twist barrel to shoot to my liking. I don't think I'll have any problems with the pistol grip because I actually prefer a pistol grip on my guns.

I used PTG bottom metal in my Choat stock for quite a while and it fed really well and the bolt release functioned perfectly.
Some day I might put together a beater gun with that stock and bottom metal, it wasn’t hip and cool but it functioned and shot well

Now that action is in a XLR element and it works well also.
Either option will probably bring you good results.