• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage model 12 lrp in 260 rem any thoughts

millertime2

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Illinois, USA
Just wondering if any one has any experience with this rifle? I was thinking of purchasing one looks pretty sweet

Re: Savage model 12 lrp in 260 rem any thoughts

One of the best deals going to jump right into the long distance shooting game. Put on a 20moa mount and a decent scope and it'll take quite a while to outgrow it.

Topstrap

What he said. Recently got one in 6.5 creedmoor, hard to beat for the price. Barrel is a tad on the heavy side, it's 16.4# fully rigged, could be worse. Sold the HS stock and replaced it with a choate.
Makes one-hole/five-round groups at a hundred yards regardless of load.
Factory chamber is pretty good, necks grow .0045-.0050 when fired and could probably jam bullets into lands within mag oal if needed.
Did find the target accutrigger a little too light, replaced it with a rifle basix complete trigger, works great.

The stock isn't very comfortable. Couldn't get cheek weld 50mm objective almost touching the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock isn't very comfortable. Couldn't get cheek weld 50mm objective almost touching the barrel. </div></div>

I have this problem too with my 60mm objective scope. I think that is expected though. If my cheek weld were good with a 50 to 60mm scope then everyone else with 40mm-44mm scopes would be screwed. I'm going to either buy the Karsten cheek rest or I am going to buy some Kydex sheet and make my own.

They definitely look like great rifles from all I have read about them. Almost bought one myself but purchased a R700 5R instead in .308. Should be a shooter!

Picked up a Mod. 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor and just started reloading and shooting it. Only reload so far is the Hornady 120 A MAX with 38.5 gr. of H 4350. Will ladder test in the near future. Shoots .330 groups at 100 yds. Will continue load development. Looking forward to trying the 140 gr. bullets.
Mod 12 in any of the 6.5 calibers looks like a pretty good tack driver.
I would say that the .260 has a little more reach but with a little more recoil and expense.
I don't think you will be disappointed. Just 1 man's opinion.

I like the .260 Remington myself. Some people say the 6.5 Creedmoor is the .260 done right, but I don't quite share that opinion. The 6.5 is an excellent round though.

I purchased one of the 12 LRP's in .260 at the end of November. I have fired 70 rounds of Southwest 142 SMK Match through it since, great ammo by the way. It is a very accurate rifle, far more accurate than myself. I was able to get a <1.5" 3-shot group at 300, having never fired it at over 100 before that.
I really like the Target Accu-Trigger. It is clean, crisp, and consistent. I really didn't think I would like it, so I bought a Rifle Basix Sav-1, but I'm debating installing it.
The barrel is a very heavy profile, and thus the rifle is quite heavy. The good side of that is that there is almost no felt recoil when firing, even after quite a few rounds. I would say with my SS 5-20x50, Harris 9-13" swivel, rings, and base it weighs 15+ pounds.
The only concern with buying one is that it has a closed top action and therefore bases with recoil lugs built in like Seekins won't work.

I say go for it.

Best,
Justin

I have just purchased a Predator max 1 in 260
120 nosler ballistic tips about .5 MOA with varget neck sizing 7mm-08 win brass.
With the new DBM I can run them out to the lands and still feeed from the mag. working on a 130 gr berger load now with imr4350 I do not think you can go wrong this way. easy to carry as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angry_johnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have just purchased a Predator max 1 in 260
120 nosler ballistic tips about .5 MOA with varget neck sizing 7mm-08 win brass.
With the new DBM I can run them out to the lands and still feeed from the mag. working on a 130 gr berger load now with imr4350 I do not think you can go wrong this way. easy to carry as well </div></div>

Got any pictures?

What's the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle?

Going back and forth between this gun, a Savage 12LRP or having my Tikka M595 re-barreled.

Been out testing loads in mine all week. Great rifle. The stock needs a riser or stock pack for cheekbone weld for me to lineup with my SS 5-20. I also need to add an inch to the stock to get to fit me. I may modified the grip too to get a more up/down angle. The action and barrel itself are a home run.

Just got mine last week. I had 6 powder charges behind 140Amax's. They all shot under 1" at 100y. 3 were under .5" and one was .35".

I shot a 4" wide target at 700y three times in a row Saturday. Mis-called the wind on the 4th shot and missed.

Gun is definitely excellent. It's heavy. Not something you want to carry around a lot or try to shoot off-hand.

I've been looking at this one too in 6.5 CM. I don't know much about Savages. Is the Model 12 going to fit in stocks designed for Savage Short Action? I'd like to get an XLR or Mcrees.

It will work in savage 10 short action stocks with the 4.4 spacing. I say go for it. I'm a savage fan. Bought a savage 12 in 308 and am really impressed with how it shot right out of the box. Best way to get in to long range with little cash spent. Oh and 260 and 6.5cm both rock!

Excellent factory gun and a tack driver, my freind runs 139 gr. Scenars out of his

Later he slid it into a Mc Cree chassis and used the Savage stock for anther gun he had.

Best "Off The Shelf" rifle I have ever owned. Amazing value for the $800-$900 price tag. Load development was a breeze utilizing 140 grain AMAXes and H4350. I solved the cheek weld problem with a Karsten Cheek Rest. Make sure that you buy a rail <span style="font-weight: bold">without</span> a recoil lug as the action does not support that design. Went with a 20MOA Nightforce and haven't looked back.

I like it so much that I bought another in 6.5 Creedmoor. You will not be disappointed.

This is a 12 LRP action in a Manners stock:
IMG_6532-1.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg