• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 19 NRA

JunkYardPerro

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2009
L.A. CA
Hey everyone,

Just sharing a few photos of an early christmas present !

I was at the range yesterday(Sat)trying to help out a few " Boys Scout " practicing for their " Shooting Merit Badges ". I decided to tryout my new Rifle.

My buddy gave me a rifle he had laying around & thought I could somehow use it for the " Junior Matches "' . It hadn't been recently cleaned & didn't have any sights to use.

I went thru my inventory & decided put together a few loose parts that might workout... ?

I picked up a Brass 4x15 Scope , about twenty years ago from " NAVY ARMS ".. & never used it . I had another( Old ) scope with broken crosshairs & salvaged the adjustment parts ( Black Parts ).

1. <span style="font-weight: bold">Savage Model 19 NRA</span>
IMG_3866_edited-1.jpg

This was not a " Tuned Match/Target Grade Rifle " (1919- 1933 Vintage : Training Rifle for 1903 Springfield ? ) trigger pull was very long & heavy.

2. <span style="font-weight: bold">Scope</span> : Navy Arms 4x15 : It's an inexpensive one, clear but low quality Lens.
IMG_3867_edited-1.jpg

I did have some problems with proper eye relief/ placement, but it would have taken tooo much time re-setting the scope for bench use , and the wind was starting to pick-up.

3. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo</span>: Aguilia Super Extra : What I had on hand that day.

Sight in Targets used: NRA 50 ft Smallbore Target / <span style="font-weight: bold">50 Yard </span>:Score Keeper Slowfire 25 yrd Pistol.
IMG_3869_edited-1.jpg

50 ft Target: Initial Sight in .
IMG_3871.jpg

Final adjustments :
IMG_3872_edited-1.jpg

Left hand lower corner; 5 rounds.

50 yard Target in the distance , left side.
IMG_3873_edited-1.jpg

50 yard shots, top & then bottom 6 rounds, without any sight adjustments from " 50 ft to 50 yards ".
IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875_edited-1.jpg

8 ring approx (4 inch ): 10 Ring / Orange , approx ( 1 3/4 inch ).

I could use a better scope (4x + ), which I do have in my inventory (10x Unertl). However, I think the scope (4x15) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">looks right</span></span>,for this rifle. I'll scrub out the Bore & tryout a few different .22 cal ammo for accuracy.

Re: Savage Model 19 NRA

That's a really neat looking rifle and those are really good shooters as well. Yours is the model 1919 NRA, they made some changes later on and called that version the 1933 NRA.

I am reading Small Bore Rifle Shooting by Crossman, it was written in 1927. He says the 1919 NRA was a good choice for competition if the shooter couldn't afford a Springfield 1922 or a Winchester 52, which at the time were state of the art target rifles.

Hey,
Thanks for the additional information !!

p.s. Edit:
I just did a " Google Search: Navy Arms 4x15 Scope " and found a very similar item on dixie website:

EP0006 Brass Tube Telescopic Sight 18 1/2" : $ 350.00
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_129_647&products_id=4040

Made in Japan, maybe a better quality lens.. ?
IMG_3878_edited-1.jpg

HMMMM,...It might be worth more than I had originally guessed ... ?

JP

Is your rifle blued or parked? Got my grandfather's old rifle which has about 0 finish, that I'd like to have the rust patina removed and new finish applied.

Just going to redo the metal. The stock is going to stay as it is, if my grandmother was painting and it didn't move it was likely to get paint on it (this applied to people as well).

Anyone know a source for spare magazines?

I got lucky and picked up this 23a at an auction for $150 this past weekend. It's basically the same gun as your 1919 NRA with a different stock and sights. I can't wait to take it to the range.
savage23a1.jpg

savage23a2.jpg