• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MSR 10 Long Range conversion

Brandonf88

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
Hi all been looking around the forum for awhile now but I currently live in an area where it's a little harder to get out and shoot, soon I'll be PCSing up to Wyoming for the next 4 years so I'm starting to gather up some longer range shooting equipment and few question have popped up so here I am. I good with bolt guns but new to longer range gas guns. I just grabbed up a really good deal on an MSR10 long range in .308 really wantted to stay with 6.5 creedmoor so I'd only have to worry with one type of ammo. My Remington 700 is in 6.5. My question is what would it take for me to convert the MSR over to 6.5? Is it as easy as grabbing a DPMS type 6.5 barrel and installing it or should I shut up and color with the .308? Thank you in advance.

I doubt that either will give you bad times, as long as the build goes well for the 6.5CM.

I like a factory Upper, as there just seem to be fewer initial issues with a tried and proven setup. I'm returning to .308 after a decade and a half (.260 addict...), and the Savage MSR Long Range .308 looks like a nicely featured, well thought out option.

While I've not bought a Savage MSR, I have used their bolt rifles with great satisfaction for almost three decades.

My 308 semi is very likely going to be a CMP Special 308. There's something about that 24" barrel...

Greg

Last edited:
Hi all been looking around the forum for awhile now but I currently live in an area where it's a little harder to get out and shoot, soon I'll be PCSing up to Wyoming for the next 4 years so I'm starting to gather up some longer range shooting equipment and few question have popped up so here I am. I good with bolt guns but new to longer range gas guns. I just grabbed up a really good deal on an MSR10 long range in .308 really wantted to stay with 6.5 creedmoor so I'd only have to worry with one type of ammo. My Remington 700 is in 6.5. My question is what would it take for me to convert the MSR over to 6.5? Is it as easy as grabbing a DPMS type 6.5 barrel and installing it or should I shut up and color with the .308? Thank you in advance.

If you want the best take your bolt and send it off to Paul Craddock and have him spin you up a 6.5CM on a Bartlein blank.

I talked to Paul the other day for the first time and was pleasantly surprised, not only are his prices reasonable but he is a very nice guy.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll probably order a barrel and if all goes well it will live on the MSR if not it's a perfect excuse to but a new rifle around the barrel. If anyones in the Cheyenne Wyoming area I'll probably find somewhere on the forum to start asking for advice about shooting in the area.

I have a 6.5 CM barrel 18" BA with gas tube for sale if interested msg me. thanks