• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MSR-10 LR Fail to Extract Diagnosis.

DestructoJr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2020
Hey everyone,

I have reviewed the forums and conducted a search. I wanted to verify what I think I have learned.

Problem:

I purchased a brand new Savage MSR-10 Long Range on May 7th 2020. I mounted my optic and went to the range to zero. I was able to fire 10 rounds of federal fusion 150gr Soft Point ammo without problem and maintained sub MOA groups. I wanted to check and see which readily available factory ammo shot the best groups, so I switched to Winchester Super X 150gr. I began to have fail to extract issues. Every round would fail to extract, thinking it may be the ammo I tried the Hornady Match 168 grain ELD. I had fail to extract issues on both ammos every round. The spent case would not extract. I adjusted the gas block down, and applied a heavy coat of lube and was able to get the rifle to function.

Thinking I solved the problem with the gas adjustment I finished shooting for the day and took the rifle home and thoroughly cleaned it.

A few days later, I returned to the range to shoot for distance, I fired 10 rounds of the Winchester super x without issue.. then after the 10th round fail to extract. I adjusted the gas block all the way down so the bolt wouldn’t cycle at all. Fired a round and attempted manual extraction via charging handle, it was extremely difficult to extract.
Extractor spring tension seems fine and extractor looks fine... upon closer inspection I observed the extractor was ripping pieces of brass of the casings.

I went to reload and while using the side charging handle, the guide rod for it broke in half... :/

Because I turned the gas all the way down in my effort to fix the problem, It makes sense to me that the chamber is just a bit too tight. Any other thoughts on potential problems, I have about 40 rounds through the gun, and it has only been factory ammo.

thanks in advance.

Thank you im following. Shot plenty of rounds never had this happen before. Extractor seems be in good shape.

Thank you im following. Shot plenty of rounds never had this happen before. Extractor seems be in good shape.

Just confirming with yours, the rounds aren’t extracting out of the chamber, or aren’t ejecting after extraction.

Hey everyone,

I have reviewed the forums and conducted a search. I wanted to verify what I think I have learned.

Problem:

I purchased a brand new Savage MSR-10 Long Range on May 7th 2020. I mounted my optic and went to the range to zero. I was able to fire 10 rounds of federal fusion 150gr Soft Point ammo without problem and maintained sub MOA groups. I wanted to check and see which readily available factory ammo shot the best groups, so I switched to Winchester Super X 150gr. I began to have fail to extract issues. Every round would fail to extract, thinking it may be the ammo I tried the Hornady Match 168 grain ELD. I had fail to extract issues on both ammos every round. The spent case would not extract. I adjusted the gas block down, and applied a heavy coat of lube and was able to get the rifle to function.

Thinking I solved the problem with the gas adjustment I finished shooting for the day and took the rifle home and thoroughly cleaned it.

A few days later, I returned to the range to shoot for distance, I fired 10 rounds of the Winchester super x without issue.. then after the 10th round fail to extract. I adjusted the gas block all the way down so the bolt wouldn’t cycle at all. Fired a round and attempted manual extraction via charging handle, it was extremely difficult to extract.
Extractor spring tension seems fine and extractor looks fine... upon closer inspection I observed the extractor was ripping pieces of brass of the casings.

I went to reload and while using the side charging handle, the guide rod for it broke in half... :/

Because I turned the gas all the way down in my effort to fix the problem, It makes sense to me that the chamber is just a bit too tight. Any other thoughts on potential problems, I have about 40 rounds through the gun, and it has only been factory ammo.

thanks in advance.
Just got me one and the same thing happened. 20 rounds no problem and reloaded the mag and caca. Single shot after that. The range guy took out the BCG and gave it a quick clean and then shot off a quick 10 rounds and back to square one. He said the tolerances are very tight and most ammo these days is very dirty. Guess I need to learn how to clean quickly and goodly. ASAP. Not sending it back just yet. For not being a hardcore gun guy my grouping was pretty good.

Hey everyone,

Problem:

I've owned two Savage .308 guns and both had really tight chambers. So tight, neither would even begin to chamber 7.62x51 NATO rounds.

Are you shooting handloads? I had this happen on reloads and it was because I was resizing the brass with a competition resizing die. Switched to a small base sizer die and problem solved. Also didn't have problems with factory ammo.

Reactions: Roberto901