• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage or not to Savage?

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I have been looking at the Savage 10 precision with a 20" barrel. Does anyone have this model and how does it shoot and the big question is it worth the money for what it is?

I've had one for about a year now. Round count a little over a grand. Sold an AAC 700 to get it and haven't regretted that for a second. I take that back, the bottom bolt release design on it made the stock aftermarket a little small for it but I couldn't be happier with the McRees it sits in now. Shot it at a PRS match while it was still in the factory accustock and placed 17th out of 75ish shooters... I haven't really found a load it won't shoot MOA or better and it loves these 155gr scenar handloads my buddy does for me. As a matter of fact, it seems to like lighter stuff more than heavier. Mine is also a non 5R barrel version which had I known those existed, I'm sure I would have dropped the extra coin for it. If you don't want to though, the standard barrel I have shoots really well as explained earlier. I just mounted that vortex viper and will be zeroing and confirming data tomorrow with it. It is a lot of gun for what you pay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408753466.431562.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408753491.871172.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408753521.039166.jpg

Rstrick0352 sir what did you have to do to get the bolt release to work?

I've been curious on this decision as well. Though I'm looking for a short .223 bolt gun for general purpose use (target shooting on the cheap, small critters, etc.)

I'm still torn between the R700 AAC 16.5 vs the Savage 10PC. But I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the Remmy. The action would be a better foundation for anything if things change. Plus with Savage changing all the time, the aftermarket is so much smaller then the 700.

Its not an immediate purchase so I certainly have time to reconsider. I figure the buy in price for the 700 will have to include a Timney and new stock off the bat.

That chassis has enough space in the hole the trigger group is in so that you can use your finger to manipulate the part that in the factory stock was manipulated by a button.

I would second the hog hunter suggestion. Top bolt release version has great aftermarket support.
    My hog hunters are in the magnum and still do .4 moa with target loads.
    Comes in a cheap stock (functional but cheap)........in that price range you can afford to swap it to whatever you want.
    If you may ever want to change it, the savage will be half the cost and very easy to reconfigure yourself compared to a 700.

Can the sights be removed from the hog hunter? And which stock can you recommend.

Sights are held on by two little screws and can be done away with in no time at all. I have used the choate "tactical" on my last few builds and use it almost exclusively now but all the usual suspects apply. Chassis from xlr or mdt, stocks from manners or mcmillian on down threw hs precision, bell and carlson would all be worth looking into depending on personal taste and application..

Will the tactical take the magazine setup from accurate-mag.?

I had the early Savage 10PC, non-threaded, not 5r. It was crazy accurate with FGMM 168's. I wasn't crazy about the accustock, but it seem to do its job. It was my first centerfire bolt action rifle.

Will the tactical take the magazine setup from accurate-mag.?

No, you would have to buy the bottom metal and have it inletted, by the time you pay for the stock, bottom metal, and the inletting your not to far away from the affordable chassis out in the market.

Just to put a contrary (but not confrontational) POV out there... Were it I, I would purchase a Tikka if I were looking for a good but inexpensive off the shelf bolt gun. I know many who love their Savages, and they do seem to shoot. I've spent a good deal of time with a Savage in 6.5-284, and it was also accurate. It was also heavy and I didn't care for the bolt handle much either. These may seem like trivial details to some, but when making a decision between two or more platforms that will each likely get the job done - -the differences are the details.

Not trying to bash Savage in any way, just attempting to offer another opinion for the OP's consideration.

Funny I found the Tikka action to be the smoothest on a major mfg I ever tried, Win would be next, but its light and not as accurate as a Sav 10 in my experience. The Tikka extractor is top notch too.

I also run a tikka t3 (300wsm) and they are the nicest production action to run, very smooth, very fast, great trigger. after market parts are available but limited so make a plan or plan to take it as is before going that rout but they are great rifles and very accurate.
    I do allot more savage, do to there versatility but tiika is my next choice..........if I could change barrel and bolt face myself as easily as the savage they would be my #1.

I miss my old savage 110 that drove tacks.

Had to sell it to buy the CZ-550 in 308.

It drives pins at 100 yards as the first time out it shot one hole at 100yards and I mean "ONE" hole!