• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage or Ruger?

MuppetMower0088

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
www.mma.tv
Hello, i was wondering if anyone could help me decide on either a Savage model 64 btv or a ruger 10/22 or something i havent even considered yet. Looking to spend around 300 +/- on the rifle.

Re: Savage or Ruger?

Are you set on a Semi-auto or would you consider a bolt action?

purpose of the rifle? scoped or irons? ability for both? keep it pretty close to identical to factory set up or customize till you are broke?

lots of factors in the world of .22's these days.

thanks for the "bump" forest.

as much as i am a savage junkie, and a cheap skate, actually i think i would go with the ruger for a semi auto over the 64.

reasons :

1. 10/22 is one hell of a platform in the semi realm.
2. tons and tons of accessories available to fit any need from target to "tacticool" or somewhere in between.
3. dependability
4. other than a 12guage pump, IMO the second best survival weapon.
5. you never run out of stuff to put on your birthday, anniversary, christmas, father's day, etc. list.

plus it's accurate. if your stuck on a semi, i would have to get off the savage soapbox and say ruger.

if your looking for something "just to go bang" and don't plan on too much serious or repeatative shooting, the 64 would be better economically to keep in the closet and take out every now and then.

now a bolt, well, a savage for around $300.00 or less with much with "goodies".

thanks for the help guys. not set on a semi. purpose of the rifle is for target. it will be scoped and not trying to go broke, but will add when i can afford too.

For a target rifle I'd have to get the Savage MKII .22lr. When I got mine it just made all my other .22lr's just seam inaccurate. They will not even get close to holding a light to it. By far the most accurate 22lr. I have shot and it really like the cheap Rem. subsonic ammo.

I got my Savage Mark II BTV-XP for $299 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Thumbhole stock, 21" heavy barrel, adjustable accutrigger, came with bases, mounts, and Bushnell 3-9x scope (didn't use it).

A lot of gun for the price.

I'm going to throw out another option. Maybe you have already looked at it, but I like the Marlin 925 also. I bought one about a month ago I guess it was and right now it's the rifle I use most when I get a chance to get to the Range when the weather's not to awful bad.

It's drilled and tapped for scope bases and also has the 3/8" groved reciever. It also feature what I would term a semi-bull barrel. Good balance, accurate rifle. You could probably pick one up in the price range of $180.00 - $190.00 more or less? Just an added option.
smile.gif

Here's mine with a 3-9x32 Tasco Scope on it - but lately I've been shooting this 925 with open iron sights and just lovin' it! My last outing with it I shot two scores of 221 of 250 with it, both offhand and kneeling from 25 yards on the NRA TQ-3/5 (5 Bull) targets.

100_0526.jpg

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925.asp

i really like the look of that mark II-FV. i would really like something with a bull barrel. i work at a sporting goods store so i might be able to get a better price then what savage has listed. or find one at a gander mt. or a local shop in the area. and the three hundred doesnt include the cost of scope-bipod and other accessories. just what i wanted to spend on a .22 rifle.

Thanks for all the great advice.

If accuracy is what you wnat get the savage no questions asked.
I know there are guys that have made 10/22s shoot I personally am tired of screwing with them.by the time you make it shoot as good as a bolt gun you will have ammo limitations. save your money buy the savage for accuracy and one day a 10/22 for fun

Good deal. Just you see ruger and savage all over this forum so i just needed some second opinions. Ill most likely be going with the mark II.

Thanks again

I have a Savage 64 (technically its a 954 but its the same gun) and I really like it, but the magazines suck real bad. theyre made of soft metal and the feed lips wear out around 1500 rounds. At $10 each last time I bought a few its not too terrible, but still a major point to consider.
Accuracy is fine for plinking out to 75yds with bulk pack ammo which is all Ive ever used it for, and its dead reliable as long as its cleaned/oiled after every 300 rounds or so. Comes apart easy.

Savage w/o doubt. MKII with V barrel, pick your stock. Break it in good, find the right ammo, and don't look back.

the 1022 is my fav but I got about 750 after new barrel/stock/trigger kit/mag release/and charging handle but if you are going to leave stock then go with something else

Hurley why didnt you just by the parts would have been cheaper in the end, I have a 10/22 I love it its wearing a 2-7VX2 Leopold best spotlighting gun I have. My wife has a savage its fully suppressed the barrel is shortened to about where the stock is ported with a suppressor over top its a great we gun and real accurate, but by the looks of it accuracy differs from gun to gun

http://www.nzrimfire.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4