• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Precision Elite!

flyweed

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2024
Wisconsin
Hey all. I am just starting to look around and see what I want to put together for a good entry Long Range target gun, so I can go out and ping some steel at a mile away. I have pretty much decided I am going to start off with the Savage Precision Elite long gun. I would really like to get it chambered in 338 Lapua..but I can buy one locally for $1200 that is chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. Can I switch out barrels (should I). to chamber the Lapua? Also, what glass would you all suggest for dialing in long range? All of my deer hunting rifles have Zeiss optics, as I love Zeiss glass, but I am not opposed to going with something that will help me out at longer distances. Thanks for any input.

I shot ELR for a few years with a Savage Elite 300WM. It's a large shank receiver/barrel size. So, you can't switch barrel with a 6mm Creed. The 6 creed would be small shank. 338 and 300 are also long action, so no go. While I won't talk you out of the 338 Lapua, the 300WM with 208 ELDMs and especially 215gr Berger Hybrids will do the job nicely. I shot my 1 mile at 20X with Bushnell Tac Elites DMRII and DMR3.

Reactions: flyweed
338LA is not a good round to learn the fundamentals of long range shooting with. 6CM is. If you buy the 6CM you will not be able to put a 338LA barrel on it.

damn, that's what I figured, and I imagine that is why the seller has such a low price on it. I would like to go with a rifle that I could expand into the 338 down the road. Maybe I'll look for the Elite in a 300WM instead.

Reactions: FredHammer
I would not hesitate to pick up an elite for 1200 in any caliber. The chassis is almost worth that alone

damn, that's what I figured, and I imagine that is why the seller has such a low price on it. I would like to go with a rifle that I could expand into the 338 down the road. Maybe I'll look for the Elite in a 300WM instead.
My god, just the cost of ammo drove me to the 300WM. I shot with guys that had 338LM. I not once felt I was under gunned. Past the mile and I might be, but that's not what I do. ;)

Are you reloading or buying factory ammo to ping steel from 1 mile?

That would dictate what I would buy. Maybe get a 300WM/PRC flavored rifle.

Are you reloading or buying factory ammo to ping steel from 1 mile?

That would dictate what I would buy. Maybe get a 300WM/PRC flavored rifle.
I'll probably do a little of both. When I find time I will reload some, otherwise, I buy factory ammo.

I'll probably do a little of both. When I find time I will reload some, otherwise, I buy factory ammo.
The magazine and chamber on the 300WM Elite is CIP length. That means you can load long with the 300WM and it competes with the 300PRC at the 208/215gr weights. I was sending 208ELDMs at 3060fps.

If you get a 300WM you also wouldn't be able to just spin a 338 Lapua barrel onto that action. Bolt faces of all 3 of these cartridges (6CM, 300WM, 338) are different.

My god, just the cost of ammo drove me to the 300WM. I shot with guys that had 338LM. I not once felt I was under gunned. Past the mile and I might be, but that's not what I do. ;)
Well, I pulled the trigger on a used Savage Precision chambered in 300WM. I found a really good deal on a certified used one with scope and harris bipod for $1100. I figured after pricing the 338 ammo and the 300wm ammo and for the amount of target plinking I do, I'd be better off going the 300wm route.

Took my Savage out today to do a little plinking with it, and see just how good (or not) it really is. Now mind you, this is my first venture in anything "Long range". I am an avid Deer Hunter, and my deer hunting rifle of choice is my Benelli R1 (in 30.06). I love that gun and it suits me well for woods hunting, as well as anything out to 100 yards, which is the most we'd ever shoot on our deer hunting land. SO, anything over 100 yards is "long range" for me. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, I have one spot I can set up and shoot 460 meters. So that's where I setup today, Now, I just went to my local farm and barn and picked up a $40 box "hunting" grade 300 Win Mag ammo for my Savage. Got set up with a steel plate target hung from chains downwind of me. 3 shots and I was on target at damn near 500 yards. WOW. target was a 14 inch square steel plate. Now, the cool part, this gun and this ammo knocked that plate off the chain at that distance, and another shot broke the chain!!!

To say that I am super excited to shoot this gun more is an understatement. I cannot wait to get some match grade ammo in it and start shooting at 1000 yards and more. This is going to be addictive I think.

again, thank you all for the recommendations, and I am very happy with my Savage Precision rifle. Pretty damn sweet.

Took my Savage out today to do a little plinking with it, and see just how good (or not) it really is. Now mind you, this is my first venture in anything "Long range". I am an avid Deer Hunter, and my deer hunting rifle of choice is my Benelli R1 (in 30.06). I love that gun and it suits me well for woods hunting, as well as anything out to 100 yards, which is the most we'd ever shoot on our deer hunting land. SO, anything over 100 yards is "long range" for me. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, I have one spot I can set up and shoot 460 meters. So that's where I setup today, Now, I just went to my local farm and barn and picked up a $40 box "hunting" grade 300 Win Mag ammo for my Savage. Got set up with a steel plate target hung from chains downwind of me. 3 shots and I was on target at damn near 500 yards. WOW. target was a 14 inch square steel plate. Now, the cool part, this gun and this ammo knocked that plate off the chain at that distance, and another shot broke the chain!!!

To say that I am super excited to shoot this gun more is an understatement. I cannot wait to get some match grade ammo in it and start shooting at 1000 yards and more. This is going to be addictive I think.

again, thank you all for the recommendations, and I am very happy with my Savage Precision rifle. Pretty damn sweet.
Tits!

so now I am thinking WHAT can I do to this gun to make it even better? I know I can most likely adjust the accu trigger a little bit to my liking more, but is there anything else I can do to it or "add" to it to make it shoot even better?

Didn't savage start making all of their actions using the 110 long action a few years back? I would assume the savage elite 6mm cm would also be a long action in that case. The barrel tenon when you order a custom barrel can be specified to the shank size that matches your action usually. If you got a large shank, the order that, otherwise order the standard shank barrel. The remaining change would be a new bolt head to fit the new cartridge.
If the action is indeed back to the savage 10 short action, then yeah kind of out of luck for that.

so now I am thinking WHAT can I do to this gun to make it even better? I know I can most likely adjust the accu trigger a little bit to my liking more, but is there anything else I can do to it or "add" to it to make it shoot even better?
Did you get the Elite Precision or the Precision?

The best thing you can do is reload if you want to improve precision.
This is my Savage 110BA load development in 338 Lapua.
The first group is 250gr Factory Lapua ammo.
The rest is my hand loads with Lapua brass and Hornady 285gr ELD-M projectiles.

This is 3 shots on a gong at 425y with the final load of 92.3gr of H1000.
WARNING: This load is above published load data. Do not use without working up carefully.