• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage project finally done

loucksc3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2010
Pa
finally got my 110 back from kevin at stockade, worked up a few new loads and heading off to see what kind of animal shes going to be. all work was done by kevin at stockade guns.

specs:
savage 110 action trued and timed
pac nor 24" 1in10 twist, chambered in 308 win.
stockade muzzle brake
stockade PD tactical
bedded action
SSS trigger set a 1lbs
warne 20moa base
nightforce ultra lite rings
nightforce nxs 8-32x56

227618_1817302032361_1234418858_31856474_6214162_n.jpg

229330_1817302392370_1234418858_31856475_2683231_n.jpg

226010_1817300992335_1234418858_31856473_7494236_n.jpg

best group, was shooting 200 yards, wanted to go to 300 but our 300 yard target frame is in pretty bad shape.

222589_1817302752379_1234418858_31856476_958779_n.jpg

227088_1817303392395_1234418858_31856477_3943224_n.jpg

i know people dont like 3 shot groups but i was limited on my brass and i only had enough to load 3 rounds each of different charges. i was using 200gr sierra matchkings, hornady cases, federal match primers and worked up from 38.0gr varget to around 40gr, my best results were around 38.7 so ill make sure i have 5 shot groups next time. i was having trouble with the sand bags i was using so i think i can tighten up this group alittle bit, id like to invest in a better bench set up so i can see exactly what itll shot with limiting shooter error.

Re: savage project finally done

Very Nice... Don't care if was 3 rounds either! Looks like its a shooter:)

Kevin does great work. Nice looking rifle. Where in PA are you located?

NICE work on the rifle. Looks good, and seems to be a good shooter as well. Best of luck in your shooting!

thanks guys,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin does great work. Nice looking rifle. Where in PA are you located? </div></div>

im north east, around mansfield area, about 45min north of williamsport.

I can't speak to Kevin's gunsmithing skills, but be can built a good stock and he knows Savages as good as anyone.

I like your setup.

Nice build! Talk to Kevin about a DBM system for your rifle. Ed Begg at VBull did one for me that takes AI mags. Kevin did the inletting work for the VBull DBM as well as tricking out the rest of my Mod 10. Kevin is a great guy and a fantastic gunsmith. He really is the God of all things Savage!

Curious about the stock, did it come with some sort of aluminum bedding block?

Great looking gun you have sir.

If you don't mind me asking, other than the action truing and brake install, did you consider assembling the rifle yourself? I am considering a Savage for a build largely for that reason, I want to do as much of the work myself as I can.

Again, great looking piece of kit and good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice build! Talk to Kevin about a DBM system for your rifle. Ed Begg at VBull did one for me that takes AI mags. Kevin did the inletting work for the VBull DBM as well as tricking out the rest of my Mod 10. Kevin is a great guy and a fantastic gunsmith. He really is the God of all things Savage! </div></div>

yes i did look into the vbull and the cdi, could be a possibility for down the road

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholas306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. How is that brake workin for you? Is it pretty effective?</div></div>

the brake is working great, there is very minimum muzzle lift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious about the stock, did it come with some sort of aluminum bedding block?</div></div>

yes there is an aluminum bedding block also i had kevin skim bed it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benwitt11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking gun you have sir.

If you don't mind me asking, other than the action truing and brake install, did you consider assembling the rifle yourself? I am considering a Savage for a build largely for that reason, I want to do as much of the work myself as I can.

Again, great looking piece of kit and good shooting!</div></div>

i did plan on doing the work myself in the beginning but but i decided since kevin was going to true in time it id have him install the barrel and brake while my gun was there and also have it bedded, kevin suggested that he should bed it for me since savages are alittle harder to bed from what he told me.

Very Nice.. I would love to shoot a measly 3-shot group like that..
wink.gif

I just bought my first savage model 10 at wally world for 328 bucks and it came with a cheezy scope that I put on a 22.

Ive also got a CBI 260rem barrel for it on the way. I am looking at buying that stock you have or the woodchuck..

After learning more about savage rifles, they are the way to go for guys like me..On a budget.lol

Nice looking rig. Grats.

Dirknar - I'm curious. What barrel did you get? I just bought a Savage 10FCp Hs Precision form Northland shooter supply today and hes taking off the barrel abd sending me a CBI 28" SS bull barrel in 260 rem to put on it.
The stock looks almost identical to this rifles stock. I WAS goign to buy a cheap savage short action and replace the stock and barrel but nice stocks are so expensive it ended up being cheaper to buy the 10FCP HS Precision (for $625 wihtout the factory barrel, or $725 with the factory barrel)and just change out the barrel and a CNC lug. $981.71 delivered.
Was cheaper than a $325rifle,$270 barrel, $410stock, $27lug, $10 for lighter trigger spring for the accutrigger.= $1042+ shipping.

Nice rifle. I have been thinking about getting some work done to one of my Savage hunting rifles to make it more of a shooter. Looks like you found a good setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i did plan on doing the work myself in the beginning but but i decided since kevin was going to true in time it id have him install the barrel and brake while my gun was there and also have it bedded, kevin suggested that he should bed it for me since savages are alittle harder to bed from what he told me.</div></div>

Makes sense, thanks for the reply. I wonder if he was refering to bedding around the nut or not, the rest of the action seems pretty straight forward. He would know I guess. What was the turn around time for him to do the work?

Again, nice looking set up.