• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Re-barrel

Night Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2011
Cullman, AL
I am going to be re-barreling a savage soon. I was thinking of putting a Shilen "varmint" weight contor on a 300 win. (not settled on rifle weight just yet).

For the price is this a good option. I will be going with a blank not a pre-chambered.

This will be mostly for long range hunting and some steel to 1200.

Using 190 and 210 bergers.

Thanks for the input!

Re: Savage Re-barrel

Your post is a little hard to understand... Are you looking for A Shilen pre-fit to swap the barrel yourself, or are you looking at having a smith do it for you?

Northlander is the best way to go for a barrel. Here is a link to his barrels on Savage Shooters. By the way his CBI barrels would be a very good option to look at, do some research and you may be interested. Re-barreling one is very easy to do with some inexpensive tools. I have done several with great success.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,64.0.html

The whole point of owning a Savage is to buy pre fit barrels and do the work yourself. If you are going to pay someone to do the work for you...why not just get a Remington action?

It might take 20 minutes to swap barrels and check headspace.

and why buy a blank and then pay for the machining when you can get it prethreaded and in your choice of countour from quite a few people. i have a shilen i bought and did my self with the right tools and it was a ? 5 minute process? it took longer to get to the neighbors house to use his vise when it came off than it did to take it off. then i built a vise and i can have it on/off and headspaced in minutes. it takes longer to set the vise up than to do the thing

To get the freebore you need &/or want is one reason to have it chambered yourself. Most prefits come with minimum freebore .... Or atleast enough to seat the longer bullets and maintain case capacity.

Get a prefit barrel (already threaded, crowned, chambered, etc.). If going the .300 Win route, seriously consider getting the muzzle threaded for common threads for a muzzle brake. Once I got all the right tools (NECESSARY!) my swap took 15 minutes or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To get the freebore you need &/or want is one reason to have it chambered yourself. Most prefits come with minimum freebore .... Or atleast enough to seat the longer bullets and maintain case capacity. </div></div>

you could call jim, tell him what you want and i bet shilen will chamber it that way if you have a spec or drawing. or do you need the chamber to be tweaked as you go? i hear you, but i dont know that caliber or its requirements.

as for brands, you can get almost all the big name barrels prefit. mcgowen, walther/lothar, geez didnt some one start carrying kreiger? try savage shooters dealers or sponsors area and there are a few guys. first guy id try is Jim at northland. he has shilen, mcgowen and kreiger. below him are a few others i think?

Devin at Sinarms does Savage prefits day in and day out. He's on savageshooters under Sinman. His prices are comparable to most other prefits and the wait time is usually significantly less than shilen's 14-16 weeks they usually quote. He'll also set the free-bore as you wish. Good dude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To get the freebore you need &/or want is one reason to have it chambered yourself. Most prefits come with minimum freebore .... Or atleast enough to seat the longer bullets and maintain case capacity. </div></div>

That is the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To get the freebore you need &/or want is one reason to have it chambered yourself. Most prefits come with minimum freebore .... Or atleast enough to seat the longer bullets and maintain case capacity. </div></div>

That is the problem. </div></div>
Welocme Night Hunter...

I would use a Prefit Shilen select match prechamber and check the OAL to the lands if there is not enough room use a Neck reamer to final fit if needed...I dout you will need it,Most 300wm chaimbers are Free bore happy so check it,I bet its Good as is for 210's...