• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Savage rebarrel

ELKMAN338

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
roosevelt ut
Hey guys got a ? I just received my barrel from pacnor chambered in 338 lapua for my savage. I was all excited to install but im having some issues. I've done a few savages before and never had this problem.
My bolt face starts hitting the barrel before I can set my no guage and go guage. I got a little flustered and installed old barrel with go guage and no guage and the bolt works perfectly. So I looked at both chamberings on both barrels and everything looked alright but when I drop in the go guage on the pacnor barrel its drops into the chamber quite alot more looks like 9 to 10 thousands more but im guessing there. Any guesses or am going to have the barrel face turned down a bit. Thx erik

Your issue relates to the barrel dimension called "Protrusion", and it sounds like your barrel's protrusion dimension is out of spec with Savage standards.

You should not need to pay for correcting this out of your own pocket. Get in contact with the maker and discuss it. Be reasonable and be nice abut it. If this is indeed a manufacturing error, they will want this corrected as badly as you do. This should be covered under warrantee.

Greg

Your issue relates to the barrel dimension called "Protrusion", and it sounds like your barrel's protrusion dimension is out of spec with Savage standards.

You should not need to pay for correcting this out of your own pocket. Get in contact with the maker and discuss it. Be reasonable and be nice abut it. If this is indeed a manufacturing error, they will want this corrected as badly as you do. This should be covered under warrantee.

Greg

Thx Greg for the info. Jay at pacnor just called me and told me to measure both barrels with go guage installed and it was about 9thousand off. He already gave me a return shipping label and he said he would take care off it sending him the action to just incase. He thinks the protrusion is for small shank instead of large I guess there different. Anyway very quick response from pacnor he said they get right on it when it arrives. Thx again thought I was loosing my mind done a few savages before and no issues.

Much appreciated. I just wanted to catch you before all the conjecture/confusion started.

Greg