• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage recoil lug, and head spacing ? for 338edge

rugerdiggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
I am fixing to order a stock and checking to see what thickness of recoil lug i should use. I have a savage 116 flat rear reciever with a 300win mag barrel in it for now and fixing to unscrew it and put a 30" mcgowen 338 edge barrel in its place. The recoil lug thats on action is 3/32" thick should i go with a 1/4"? What the thoughts on it and i have the brass and dies for it. Should i head space with a sized piece of brass or get a go gauge? Please let me know what you think?

Re: Savage recoil lug, and head spacing ? for 338edge

When I put my 338 edge together I bought a 1/4" lug from Stockade Gunstocks. I bought a 300 RUM Go gauge to set headspace just for the piece of mind. People us once fired cases to set headspace but i didn't have any once fired brass when i put mine together.

I would get a new recoil lug. The factory one is stamped out, and not flat / parallel. Long as your going to have the barrel off, you might as well fix that. Most of the aftermarket lugs are around 1/4" thick, and should be surface ground to be parallel. The new stock will most likely have plenty of room for the 1/4" lug.
I have always bought the go gauge for the barrels that I have bought. They don't cost much, and give a more positive feel for setting the headspace.

If you are getting that barrel from NorthLand Shooter Supply, he sells nice ground recoil lugs also.

Buy a new lug. It'll run ~$20-30 and is a cheap investment/upgrade.