• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Rifle Build Dillema

Thank you Capt. Any ideas where I can get at a decent price that Model 12 after class? Most sites are out and a few are more expensive.

EGW Savage 93 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 41600, 41602. Evolution Gun Works Tactical Rails.
Is this a good "marriage" for above? Thanks Capt. Where can I find that Model F12 F class rifle. Many sites are out and a few are too expensive.

EGW Savage 93 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 41600, 41602. Evolution Gun Works Tactical Rails.
Is this a good "marriage" for above? Thanks Capt. Where can I find that Model F12 F class rifle. Many sites are out and a few are too expensive.

Get the Rifle or Action first...worry about the rail/mount later...also that appears to be a SAVAGE MODEL 93 part...for a 22, 22MAG .17HMR NOT A CENTER FIRE...

YOU REALLY DO NEED TO JOIN Savage Shooters - Home you might even find a hell of a deal on a Savage already set up for less than new...

All I can say beyond Capt Beach's continuingly excellent advice is that Weaver and Picatinny mounting interfaces are often cross-compatible.

Greg

Got it. Greg you have suggested F-Class because you liked the stock better. Looking again at that stock I am wondering how well would that stock allow me to ride the rear sand bag and how difficult is to learn that grip vis-a-vis a pistol grip. The BR model has a different grip and also has a slight angle to the butt stock. Also one is 30" the other 29". Will this make a difference and is there any material difference in "build" between the two models?

Catalin

All of my shooting buddings and I shoot using Savages. My go to rifle is a 260AI, my friend shoots the Dasher. We are both using CBI 28 inch 8 twist barrels. I am not sure what type of life he is going to get, but loading my 260AI to 2800fps, which is very mild, I am still getting awesome accuracy after 1200 rounds. Shot my first clean 200 score after the barrel rolled over 1200. From what is sounds like you want to do I would seriously consider the 6.5mm. Using Berger 140 hybrids the ballistics and accuracy are excellent.

Protektor make's a real nice rear bag for the Savage F class stock to fit the wider foot print. Here is a link to Bob Whites list of used benchrest/varmint rifles always a few Savages on there. 1000 yards is a bit of a stretch for a 6mm Br i would look more to a 6 dasher, 6.5x47 or my favorite 6.5x.284 norma. Go to International Benchrest Shooters click on results and then long range check out the matches and most will list an equipment list, look at the calibers they are shooting. If there is a lot of wind where you shoot look at .300 win mag or the .300 wsm. Most is just my opinion but i hope it helps.....Danny

Cat, if your stuck on buying a rifle thats ready to go, than you can't go wrong with the 12LRP rifles. But if you want, you can build a rifle that is exactly what you want for pretty cheap. Whats nice about savages is that you don't need to be a gun smith to build one. I've built 2 now and I love em. There is plenty of info on this website to get you going if you decide to build. Jim at northland shooters supply is going to be your best friend if you go that route. He is an awesome guy and extremely helpful. Good luck.

I'll second that about Jim at Nothland Extremely Helpful. Just bought an action and barrel off of him

How difficult is to re-chamber a 6 mm BR to a 6 mm Dasher? Long term plan but i thougt i might ask proactively

How difficult is to re-chamber a 6 mm BR to a 6 mm Dasher? Long term plan but i thougt i might ask proactively
No more difficult than cutting the original chamber I would presume. Especially for an experienced gunsmith/lathe operator. If your having a smith do the work, don't forget it will be 150 or so bucks and a new match barrel cost around 300 so you would almost already be in that realm. Might be better off selling what you have and buying a new Dasher barrel. I might know somebody who has a brand spanking new CBI 28inch Savage prefit for sale too...shameless sales plug.

Justin

Awesome a savage question with with respectful answers. I had the model 12 f class in 6mm BR Norma and the model 12 BR in 6.5-284 Norma 20!years ago when they first came out. The original BR stock toe was round and rode the rear bag poorly. The 12 d class has a 1.125” flat at the grip end of the toe tapered to 1” at shoulder pad. Protektor makes a 1” 5-stitch flattop dr bag just for the the f class. I sold both during a divorce. They both shot very well but the BR was not stable in rear bag

i just got a new BR in 6.5-284 Norma because now the stock has a 5/8” flat on the stock toe and protektor made a bumblebee with rabbit ears 3-stitch 5/8” and the fun rides rear bag great

I went with the 6.5-284 because I have a 110 predator in same caliber as my goto hunting rifle. And have reading dies and competition seating die and FL size. In my opinion the 6.5-284 is not a barrel burner until you start pushing 140g at 2900+ fps. When I first started shooting the first one it was right after the 6.5-284 Norma was the hot caliber to have and everyone was pushing the living daylights out of the round, hence it’s barrel burner reputation. Also everyone was pushing them .020” off the lands or closer and my accuracy sucked. I called savage and they said their chamber liked them farther away from the lands. So I followed the reloading books COL and accuracy was great. I seat the my first bullet at COL and then switch to a comparator on the ogive measurement going forward and found this to work with all bullets tried including Sierra 142 MK and get similar results. Gun likes the hornady 140 ELDM and 140 HPBT and the 147 ELDM both at same velocity. No pressure signs at all using H4350 and H4831SC. H4350 is the most accurate in mine. I also broke the barrel in with first 50 rounds. 1round clean x10, 3rounds clean x10 and 5rounds clean x5. Last cleaning of each set was bore cleaner followed by CR-10 copper remover and barrel is great

new gun is shooting awesome groups out to 500yds and I’m loading 140 ELDM at 2835fps. Personally speed isn’t anything if it doesn’t group and the <1.5” drop at 500 is not a concern

I used EGW 20MOA model 12 short action HD base on mine with a vortex golden eagle and love the setup. Using lapua and Nosler brass. Norma doesn’t last as long. According to my lock-n-load gauge measurements with each bullet I’m .080-.100” off the lands using reloading guide recommended COL

Congratulations your rifle is only slightly older than this thread!
034C331D-8CC8-47C2-90F1-B92F54860FEE.gif

Also hinterlandoutfitters.com has the BR in 6.5-284 and the f class in 6mm BR Norma Savage catalogue for 2021 shows BR in 6mm br Norma and 308 and the f class in 6mm br Norma and 6.5-284 Norma. The Br I found in 6.5-284 is a leftover from a year ago according to savage. And if I ever rebarrel the gun I will consider 6.5cm. My 110 elite precision 26” in 6.5cm shoots same 140s at 2825 and 147g at 2790

Shame on me. Didn’t look at date. Came up as a thread in the email from the site

so now you know how I feel about the gun. That explains why there was no sarcasm throughout the thread lol