• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage rifle is not free floated

rubicon06on33s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
I bought a new Savage long range hunter. It has the accustock but it is not free floated at the end of the barrel. Should I remove the stock and sand it until it free floats?

Re: Savage rifle is not free floated

My first question would be, "are you sure the action is properly seated and the screws are tight?". Then, what Paul said. I wouldn't go and sand anything unless I knew exactly why it was touching (may not be just the end of the stock) and would rather have Savage take care of it.

Assuming the above is done... I would just do the work myself... Opening the stock up a tad is no big deal and can be done in a matter of minutes.

Matt.

I checked all of them at cabelas and none of them were free floated at the tip of the forend.

Shipping back to savage = $40 + 4 weeks

Doing it yourself = 15 mins + ego boost

Anybody know the torque specs on the accustock? I have a fat wrench available.

A pressure pad is sometimes an improvement with a heavy barrel, especially of there's an expectation of POI walk as a result of barrel heating.

Before you fix anything make sure it's broken. Make an honest effort to develop a load the barrel likes. It may provide all the accuracy you seek.

I wouldn't try modifying anything until load development has clearly failed.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubicon06on33s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know the torque specs on the accustock? I have a fat wrench available. </div></div>

There is a process for this, an order for tightening the screws and how many in/lbs. I have removed the accustocks on several of my savages in order to adjust the trigger. I'd recite to you the process here but I can't remember. run a google search, there is a sticky in a savage forum (maybe here too?) that has the steps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A pressure pad is sometimes an improvement with a heavy barrel, especially of there's an expectation of POI walk as a result of barrel heating.

Before you fix anything make sure it's broken. Make an honest effort to develop a load the barrel likes. It may provide all the accuracy you seek.

I wouldn't try modifying anything until load development has clearly failed.

Greg</div></div>

^^^^this^^^^

Believe it or not pressure pads do work and work well for there intended purpose, shoot it first!

Float it. A high piece of plastic in that stock is not a a pressure pad. And while the accu-stocks are better than the other tupperware stocks,they do flex, so any pressure being put on the barrel would be inconsistent. And try about 35 inch-pounds for the torque. You might also check and make sure the tang of the receiver is floated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hahco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubicon06on33s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know the torque specs on the accustock? I have a fat wrench available. </div></div>

There is a process for this, an order for tightening the screws and how many in/lbs. I have removed the accustocks on several of my savages in order to adjust the trigger. I'd recite to you the process here but I can't remember. run a google search, there is a sticky in a savage forum (maybe here too?) that has the steps. </div></div>

IIRC it's alternating between the front and rear screws in 5 in-lbs increments starting at 20 in-lbs. IE: tighten front screw to 10 in-lbs then rear screw to 10 in-lbs. Then front screw to 15 in-lbs and then rear to 15 in-lbs then repeat until 35-40 in-lbs.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Thanks guys sounds like I should do some shooting with my handloads and see what happens

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you buy it from?</div></div>

I bought it from Cabelas and I looked at all of the long range hunters they had. All of them make contact at the end of the forend. I thought Savage bragged about how there guns were free floated.

i had the same issue with my 111. i widened the barrel channel and still had too much forend flex (when i loaded the bipod, i could still get contact), so i extended the channels from the sides of the bedding block forward, sunk two sections of carbon arrow shaft into them, then filled it all with epoxy. groups went from 1.75" to .5" and there's virtually no flex now.