• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Stealth in 300 Win Mag - First impressions

CBryars2

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Savage Stealth in 300 Win Mag - First impressions - 10/24/2016

Reposting from old Snipers Hide for discussion.

Original Post

Picked up my Savage Stealth in 300 Win Mag Sunday. It is a considerably different from my Stealth 6.5 on several points evident after a complete once over. Cleaned and lubed with following first impressions:

1. Ran ammo through chamber, with no feed issues.

2. Accurate Mag - no MDT Mag so no issues like those seen on 6.5.

3. Fit and finish was excellent.

4. One piece mono-chassis, balance is a little front heavy with empty mag.

5. One piece rail that has 2 levels for night vision.

6. 11 pounds, so a little heavier that the 6.5.

7. Same stock. going to try it out more and if no go going to try a Luth MBA3 to retain collapsing stock.

8. Threaded 5/8-24 with installed muzzle break, same as my 110 338 Lapua and that one work very well.

Still need rail for bipod (mine requires rail mount).

Tubbs Fit to Finish planned for range trip, will be a week as bipod mount on order.

If this shoots as well as it looks to be made, it will be a winner. Will be selling my Rem 700p. Pictures to follow.

Bi-pod rail came in, mounted and works great. Loaded 30 rounds fit to finish lapping rounds #1-#3. Going to range Monday for a test.

Off to range tomorrow, will shoot 5 factory rounds then 10 Final Finish #1 rounds. Finally for tomorrow will finish up with Final Finish #2. Will then clean fully and prep next set of Final Finish #3 - #5 to finish up breaking in the barrel.

So far this is a great feeling rifle.

Range report

Feeds incredibly, no minor hang-ups like in my Stealth 6.5. Test fired and sighted scope with 4 Hornady White tail rounds. The 20 - 10 each of Tubb Final Finsh #1 & #2. Not worrying MOA until Final Finish 5 then I'll get some groups. Just shooting for break-in they were 2 ish MOA at 100yds. Light load 64 grs RL-22.

Biggest first impressions:

The rifle has much lower recoil. Has Savage muzzle break and the GL-Recoil stock (std from factory) really tamed the rifle much less recoil than my 700P 300WM.

Feeding was flawless and smooth, better than my Stealth 6.5 as mentioned above.

Feel - outstanding. Solid on bi-pod and same feel as my 6.5, so one of my main goals met - common feel between platforms.

Very pleased so far, if accuracy tests out, it will be a winner.

The muzzle break and GL Shock stock really tame the recoil.

Asked about the GL Shock stock. I had only used these on 300 blackout and was happy with them. The cheek riser is not my favorite (see Savage Stealth 6.5 first impressions for my favorite), but wanted to give it a chance. Now after using, I am willing to give it more time and add a pad cover to see if it helps with my cheek wield.

It along with muzzle break really do work. Compared to my Remington 700p in 300WM and my Savage FCP in 338 the recoil is definitely less and not as sharp an initial pulse.

So far good choice for 300 WM.

Finished breaking in with Tubb Final Finish. Starting working up loads and testing. The rifle shot extremely well. Will post pictures Thursday night or Friday.

Very impressed!

Comment on being Fugly - I think it looks like a sports car - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - and it shoots fantastic. Got sub .5 using Horn 178 Amax.

Promised pictures from Talladega. Savage Stealth 300WM. Berger 185 OTM with RL-22 74gr. Wind 10 mph Right to left. Not sure what x out on shot 1 & 2 mean, will have to ask next time I go. Really good trip. On this rifle, no working up to 600, just started with previous dope. Felt really good. The 300 WM is my favorite of the rifles I currently have or any in the past.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1274.photobucket.com\/albums\/y437\/cbryars2\/IMG_20170609_153904_zpsffi2hcht.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1274.photobucket.com\/albums\/y437\/cbryars2\/IMG_20170609_153650_zpsmjdpw1ob.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Attachments

• photo60966.jpg
    photo60966.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 66
  • photo60967.jpg
    photo60967.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sweet. Love the caliber for that gun. Going to continue to run the 185 berger as your main load?

I believe so, it does the job for me. I have a box of heavier Berger OTM, might give those a go.

Did some more analysis. Above target was 5.311 at 600 yds. MOA was 0.845. 10 mph right to left wind.

Tested 300 WM with Magnetospeed, load RL-22 74g, Berger 185 OTM Juggernaut. Was expecting abut 2900 fps. Got repeated (8 shots) all > 3100 fps. Avg 3120 SD 11.2. All with Suppressor.

Need to work that SD down, looks like my scales are allowing 3 or so powder per .1 gr.

Suggestions?

From Savage - those wanting LH the wait is over.

Savage announced left-hand versions of its popular Stealth chassis rifle chambered in popular long-range calibers. The lineup expanded to include .223.